New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #181 of 528
Jan 23, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #182 of 528
I am very new to audiophile in general so I'm just going to share my very limited experience with my new Conductor 3X. I have been hanging out in Head-Fi for months. I've suffered from analysis paralysis. I didn't grow up with any technical knowledge of audio equipment. Now that I'm older, I can finally afford better equipment than my old ATH M50X. Back in October or so, I came across the original Burson C3 and was intrigued. I wasn't sure that I wanted to buy a bunch of components nor had I the inclination to learn about what everything does. I just wanted something that would drive a quality set of headphones.

I made contact with Alex and over the course of several emails I learned that they were going to be coming out with the revised version of the Conductor 3. In the mean time, he agreed to send me a trial Conductor 3, telling me that it would sound very close to the new Conductor 3X. I received it a week or so later and it was unbelievable. How could one box take the place of all the other equipment I was hearing about? I had purchased some Sennheiser HD800S and together, those two items introduced me to a whole new field of sound that I had not ever experienced. I ended up ordering the Conductor 3X together with Audeze LCD-3 for a great package price.

Anyway, I've had the C3X for about 3 weeks now. Like a previous reviewer mentioned, the USB cable that came with the amp did not work. I ended up buying a replacement USB-A to USB-C from Amazon for $10 and it has worked perfectly since. Again, I can't share much detail about the technical aspects of this amp. I just don't have the experience but what I do know is that together with my MacBook Pro, the C3X is all I will have to buy. The C3X even has it's own DAC so I don't have to worry about using the crappy one provided in the MacBook. I did have some longer headphone cables made by a company called Synsonix to connect the phones to the amp but I considered that a worthwhile investment. I also have some powered speakers (M-Audio BX8) connected to the amp via XLR cables. OMG, they sound so good. I've had those speakers for years when they were connected to my PC and they never sounded that good! Wife doesn't so much appreciate my 2nd mid-life crisis but that's okay.

I can't say enough about the C3X but to some degree the service I received from Alex and the team at Burson is what really sold me. Alex took the time to explain things and helped me navigate this jungle we call audiophile. We have shared at least 100 emails or more and he never lost patience with me. They walked me through every step and that kind of service today is such a rare commodity. There is no place on earth that I would throw down over $2k for an amp given my level of experience. I just wouldn't have pulled the trigger otherwise. Anyway, this is supposed to be about the Conductor 3X but it felt worth mentioning the great service I received there as well.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #183 of 528
Thank you for your review John, much appreciated!

Like a previous reviewer mentioned, the USB cable that came with the amp did not work. I ended up buying a replacement USB-A to USB-C from Amazon for $10 and it has worked perfectly since.
Burson Audio sent me recently a new USB cable, a black one, thick and well made, probably double shielded inside. From my understanding this is the default USB-C cable they will be sending from now on along with C3R/C3X devices.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #185 of 528
the service I received from Alex and the team at Burson is what really sold me. Alex took the time to explain things and helped me navigate this jungle we call audiophile. We have shared at least 100 emails or more and he never lost patience with me. They walked me through every step and that kind of service today is such a rare commodity. There is no place on earth that I would throw down over $2k for an amp given my level of experience. I just wouldn't have pulled the trigger otherwise. Anyway, this is supposed to be about the Conductor 3X but it felt worth mentioning the great service I received there as well.

Speaking from the perspective of a dealer, I just wanna chime in and agree wholeheartedly that Alex and his team are wonderful people. It's been a joy communicating with them.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jan 24, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #187 of 528
While I'm thinking about it, I mentioned to Alex that if Burson sold a cover that fit this amp, I would purchase it. I have been looking instead for a correct size plastic bin that would cover it correctly. If anyone has found an alternative, please share. Thanks.

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #190 of 528
Hi folks.
A few months ago I took delivery of my Playmate, and am very impressed with it. As time goes on, and curiosity kicks in, i've started considering the C3X.
How has everyone experienced the C3X over the Playmate? Any advice on how this goes alongside the Chord Hugo TT2? I'd be using this to drive a pair of Audeze LCD-X, and also a pair of Adam Audio A5X powered monitors on my desktop. Signal coming via USB from windows 10 PC.
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Cheers

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #191 of 528
How has everyone experienced the C3X over the Playmate?
Way more power on the C3X, lot more features (bigger LCD, vertical or horizontal positioning, Bluetooth streaming, listening to two headphones at the same time, different look & feel).
Of course, PLAYMATE is unbalanced, while C3X is balanced, so your A5X will have a slight advantage on the signal-to-noise ratio if connected on the balanced C3X.

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #192 of 528
I'll have my Conductor 3X in hand tomorrow. I can't wait to hear what this amp is capable of....

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #193 of 528
I officially joined the club today. I had issues with the stock USB-A to USB-C cable as most others have experienced here on Head-Fi. It simply did not work. I spent the better part of an hour trying everything I know how to do to get it to work and grew increasingly frustrated. Finally, I swapped the out the stock USB cable with another one I had on hand and I immediately got sound. This is an impressive sounding amp. It has just the right amount of texture, dynamics, extension at both ends, body in the midrange and musicality to it to draw you into what's playing. Right now I'm listening through my HD820's and the pairing is excellent. Bass is big with impact, it's controlled and defined. The sound is expansive and the HD820's is maximizing it with nice imaging as well. I will try other pairings soon. Right now I'm just enjoying the music.

IMG_0296.jpg

Feb 5, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #194 of 528
What filter is everyone using on their Conductor 3X?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back