New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Oct 31, 2019 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 528

raoultrifan

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm very glad to find out that BURSON Audio is building for us a brand new balanced DAC with balanced headphones amplifier inside!

Several Head-Fiers were expected this, me included, so like always BURSON listens to us and then commits. The non-balanced 'brother" would be the C3-Reference combo from here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...2wpc-headamp-preamp-changeable-opamps.894619/

Meanwhile, let's all check manufacture's webpage https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/conductor-3x/ and a nice pic with the new balanced DAC/headamp combo.

Conductor 3X.jpeg
Beautiful and stylish design

Conductor-3X-S1.jpg
7.5W per channel

Conductor-3X-S2.jpg

Able to decode both PCM and DSD files

Conductor-3X-S3.jpg

Very nice look with the well-arranged internals

Conductor-3X-S4.jpg

I can spot both balanced IN and OUT

Looking further for the first batch of units to get delivered in our homes and, of course, for the first reviews and inside pics.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 528
Conductor3X-Slide8.jpg

I can't help noticing returning to roots, by getting back to transistored preamplification stage, just in front of the powerful output buffers

Conductor3X-Slide7.jpg

Spotted four solid-state V6 Vivid opamps, most likely for the gain (amplification) stage

Conductor3X-Slide12.jpg

Can be positioned either horizontal or vertical on the desk

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 528
Hmm. My Conductor 3 pre-order hasn't shipped yet. decisions ... could this be a better fit? Pity they didn't announce this sooner as 'coming soon' so people could make an informed decision regarding buying the 3 or waiting for the 3x.

I notice the specs info on the site is incorrect for the 3x as its identical to the 3 for inputs/outputs.

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 528
i'm puzzled by burson audio's decision to release both the conductor 3 and 3x

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 528
i'm puzzled by burson audio's decision to release both the conductor 3 and 3x
Well, it's all about the diversity I guess. :)

Although, there are 40-50 Ohms impedance planars that might need a bit more power, so the 1.75-2W provided by the C3X @40-50 Ohms on the single-ended output might not be enough. It's not always about the max. output power delivered, but also about the internal gain, so an amplifier able to deliver 2-3 times more power than we usually need will ensure that with peaceful music we will still have enough output power for our liking.

Also, a lot of people don't have balanced cans yet and don't intend to purchase in the near future, so probably the C3-Ref. should do better for them.

Nov 2, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 528
Well, it's all about the diversity I guess. :)

Although, there are 40-50 Ohms impedance planars that might need a bit more power, so the 1.75-2W provided by the C3X @40-50 Ohms on the single-ended output might not be enough. It's not always about the max. output power delivered, but also about the internal gain, so an amplifier able to deliver 2-3 times more power than we usually need will ensure that with peaceful music we will still have enough output power for our liking.

Also, a lot of people don't have balanced cans yet and don't intend to purchase in the near future, so probably the C3-Ref. should do better for them.
perhaps but i can't help thinking that the conductor 3x is what the conductor 3 reference should have been - a new totl all-in-one dac/head-amp/pre-amp unit from burson audio with both balanced and single-ended outputs. it's what burson audio fans were asking for following the release of the conductor cv2+. all-in-one dac/head-amp units with both balanced and single-ended outputs from questyle, ifi and phonitor have been on the market for some time. i know which new conductor model i would be buying.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 528
perhaps but i can't help thinking that the conductor 3x is what the conductor 3 reference should have been - a new totl all-in-one dac/head-amp/pre-amp unit from burson audio with both balanced and single-ended outputs. it's what burson audio fans were asking for following the release of the conductor cv2+. all-in-one dac/head-amp units with both balanced and single-ended outputs from questyle, rme and ifi have been on the market for some time. i know which new conductor model i would be buying.
Well, if you have a circuit designed that will support balanced output as well as (as good as) dual single-ended, then why not take advantage of it (market wise) and offer it to those (like me) wanting a balanced output. It looks like the only real difference between the Conductor 3 and 3X is how it is tied up to the output...the 3 provides two single-ended outputs and the 3X ties it into a single balanced output. They both serve customers that prefer a particular output...excellent marketing. Just my two pennies...

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #12 of 528
Well, if you have a circuit designed that will support balanced output as well as (as good as) dual single-ended, then why not take advantage of it (market wise) and offer it to those (like me) wanting a balanced output. It looks like the only real difference between the Conductor 3 and 3X is how it is tied up to the output...the 3 provides two single-ended outputs and the 3X ties it into a single balanced output. They both serve customers that prefer a particular output...excellent marketing. Just my two pennies...

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends
it will be excellent marketing if burson audio sell enough units from both product lines to justify the cost of manufacture

Nov 2, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 528
Mmmh, I see an AKG K812 in those pictures ... Good, cause i was looking for a Dac/Amp set up for those headphones ... Hope to see some impressions from this combo.

Nov 2, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #14 of 528
Just my 2 cents,

Nice amp...terrible interface.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back