New full-sized headphone to get the best out of my Fiio X1 ( and Fiio E12 )
Jan 30, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #17 of 31
That's perhaps why so many members here have multiple headphones. I don't think there's one headphone that is the best at everything. For my money the 650 is as close to that ideal as I've heard. It's worth bearing in mind that beyond a certain level most perceived differences are pretty subtle at best. In blind testing it's often very difficult to reliably pick out these differences and attribute them to specific headphones, amps or whatever. There's no science to enjoying music.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #18 of 31
That's perhaps why so many members here have multiple headphones. I don't think there's one headphone that is the best at everything. For my money the 650 is as close to that ideal as I've heard. It's worth bearing in mind that beyond a certain level most perceived differences are pretty subtle at best. In blind testing it's often very difficult to reliably pick out these differences and attribute them to specific headphones, amps or whatever. There's no science to enjoying music.

Correct, I think I'll get the 650. He is a good pair of cans in it's own way I guess. And besides that, I can always use my srh840 and se215 if I don't like a genre with the 650. 
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #19 of 31
  I'm listening to Canon in D right now using my HD 650s and the sound is heavenly. Excellent bass, great sound stage a complete package overall. I'm driving the 650s with a Schiit Valhalla 2.
As mentioned above, you may need to upgrade your amp to get the most from your 650s.

BTW: Ciacona in D Minor will blow your socks off.
wink_face.gif

Thank you! I'll buy a new amp in about a few months I guess, I bought my E12 a month ago, so I'll stick with that one for now.

I think the 650 is a right choice for me 
L3000.gif

Ciacona in D is nice too! 
wink_face.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #21 of 31
  Correct, I think I'll get the 650. He is a good pair of cans in it's own way I guess. And besides that, I can always use my srh840 and se215 if I don't like a genre with the 650. 
tongue.gif

Other than offering a degree of isolation there is nothing the SRH 840 does better than the HD 650.

Thank you! I'll buy a new amp in about a few months I guess, I bought my E12 a month ago, so I'll stick with that one for now.

I think the 650 is a right choice for me 
L3000.gif

Ciacona in D is nice too! 
wink_face.gif

The E12 will drive them no problem, don't worry about it. If you then feel you like the sonic signature of the 650 then you can look at upgrading the amp.

I would also look at the younger brother, the HD600 is worth auditioning alongside the HD650.

I don't mean to be pedantic but the HD 600 is actually older than the 650.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #22 of 31
Although with only demoes and limited experiences with the two, I consider the Fiio X1 and the Fiio E12 to be quite dark sounding gear. Coupled with the smooth and buttery sounding HD650 with I've demoed and tested in different setups, this "I really like the clear, detailed sounds from the Shures." will not be achieved with the two Fiios and the HD650. From the headphones I've tried extensively/own, I think the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog will suit your tastes. The HD600 is closer to the to the Shures than the HD650 but I prefer the Alpha Dog over this as well. 

The MrSpeakers Alpha Dog is a modded Fostex T50RP that retails for $599. There are other mods such as the LFF Paradox and the ZMF Vibro. Search these. The Fiio E12 should power these planar magnetic headphones decently. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #23 of 31

Other than offering a degree of isolation there is nothing the SRH 840 does better than the HD 650.

The E12 will drive them no problem, don't worry about it. If you then feel you like the sonic signature of the 650 then you can look at upgrading the amp.

I don't mean to be pedantic but the HD 600 is actually older than the 650.

I myself prefer the sonic signature of the HD650 over the HD600 as I love warmer more musical signatures but tons of audiophiles prefer the HD600 for its more neutral and uncoloured approach. I think this will suit the OPs tastes more. 

I find the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog to be considerably better than the HD650 in all the aspects I can think of except for pure musicality (but this is subjective upon the listener). Detail retrieval, instrument separation, soundstage width, height, depth, neutrality (although the Alpha Dog has a very slight warmth), transparency, is all better than the HD650. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #24 of 31
I was asked what I thought of the HD 650 and gave my experienced opinion. Are there better options for the OP? Quite possibly. I did point out that the 650 has a somewhat unique signature.

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #25 of 31
Thank you for all the help, I bought the HD650 and I really like it.

I like to spend max. €500/$571 (or a little more maybe) for an amp in the future, is it really worth it? Does it really increase the quality drastically? 

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #26 of 31
Thank you for all the help, I bought the HD650 and I really like it.

I like to spend max. €500/$571 (or a little more maybe) for an amp in the future, is it really worth it? Does it really increase the quality drastically? 

Congratulations on your purchase. Yes, upgrading the amp is beneficial. The Project Ember mates superbly.

http://www.garage1217.com

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #28 of 31
Whoa, slow down! There are other options out there too. I'd wait to see what other opinions you're question attracts and maybe visit the threads dedicated to the amps. Give yourself some time to get used to what the 650 can & can't do. Just enjoy them for a while before spending more money.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #29 of 31
  Whoa, slow down! There are other options out there too. I'd wait to see what other opinions you're question attracts and maybe visit the threads dedicated to the amps. Give yourself some time to get used to what the 650 can & can't do. Just enjoy them for a while before spending more money.

Haha alright, i'll give it some time :p 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back