New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Jul 16, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #856 of 1,838
  Good though they are, I don't find the HD650 an ideal can for the punctate detailed, open, deep, spacious, holographic sound of a large orchestra. My preferences for this type of music are the DT88O, an AKG like the 712, or even the HP100 and 200. The Polaris synergises beautifully with all these, on mid or high gain, low output impedance and high bandwidth. The AKG 701 is also very good, though I lower the bandwidth to the mid setting for these cans. That's the beauty of the Polaris, it's so adaptable.

I agree about 650 and large-scale symphonic music (have posted on a few threads this observation).

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #857 of 1,838

The Specs tab on that link to PST6:

Power Consumption:6 Watts for control circuits independent of actual load
AC Noise Attenuation:Transverse (Differential) Mode:
> 40 dB from 150 kHz - 100 MHz
Dimensions:2.75” H x 3.75” W x 13.5” D

If I would have read this sooner, I could have saved ~$20. Though it does look like the 8 D has a few more  gadgets.
I picked up a PL-PLUS DMC a few weeks ago. Was looking for something with the power strip form factor that did the same things with filtering. The 8 D was the only one that did.
In any case, it seems you have to look beyond the marketing hype descriptions to see what is going on. I still have to wonder if 40DB of filtering at 100K is going to make an audible difference.

Soon to have my Polaris and DC1 plugged into the 8D in any case.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #858 of 1,838

If I would have read this sooner, I could have saved ~$20. Though it does look like the 8 D has a few more  gadgets.
I picked up a PL-PLUS DMC a few weeks ago. Was looking for something with the power strip form factor that did the same things with filtering. The 8 D was the only one that did.
In any case, it seems you have to look beyond the marketing hype descriptions to see what is going on. I still have to wonder if 40DB of filtering at 100K is going to make an audible difference.

I think you should be fine. Unless you are plugged into a power grid in a condo complex/apt bldg, surge protection is probably more critical than filtration. You may not hear a significant difference with SS amps. Maybe with tube amps ("hum") and then only with some models.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #859 of 1,838
I just received my Polaris today, have 2 - 3 hours on it so far. It does a really good job with my HD800 especially considering how inexpensive it is; deeply impressive. Seeing as this is a work amp, it almost makes me want to get a second HD800 for work! I have some AKG K7xx on the way, hopefully that'll at least calm the desire :p

This is a very desirable little amp, and it packs a punch for it's size. Like it better than I did my soloist SL back in the day, which is 2 - 3x more money.

Maybe just the honeymoon phase talking (though I doubt it), but this hands down my new recommendation for a budget SS amp. It is beautifully made / simple, even considering all the variables it provides.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #860 of 1,838
  I just received my Polaris today, have 2 - 3 hours on it so far. It does a really good job with my HD800 especially considering how inexpensive it is; deeply impressive. Seeing as this is a work amp, it almost makes me want to get a second HD800 for work! I have some AKG K7xx on the way, hopefully that'll at least calm the desire :p

This is a very desirable little amp, and it packs a punch for it's size. Like it better than I did my soloist SL back in the day, which is 2 - 3x more money.

Maybe just the honeymoon phase talking (though I doubt it), but this hands down my new recommendation for a budget SS amp. It is beautifully made / simple, even considering all the variables it provides.

congrats.

did you get the acrylic or the metal casing (aluminum)?

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #861 of 1,838

congrats.

did you get the acrylic or the metal casing (aluminum)?

Acrylic, and really glad I did. The thing is captivating to look at, and is somehow very satisfying to my OCD. Everything is so nicely spaced and laid out; wouldn't be able to see that with the metal casing!

I did switch to a white LED from blue, and dimmed it a bit, perfect.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #862 of 1,838
   Acrylic, and really glad I did. The thing is captivating to look at, and is somehow very satisfying to my OCD. Everything is so nicely spaced and laid out; wouldn't be able to see that with the metal casing!

I did switch to a white LED from blue, and dimmed it a bit, perfect.

I just gotta avoid handling the casing and damaging those protruding jumpers on the G, Z, and Attenuation switches!

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #864 of 1,838
That calls for the big blower and a paint brush!! Every couple of weeks, mine gets a blow for the guts and a brushing for the top. Had mine since they came out and it's pristine.

I've even given the tube top a dusting!!!:p

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #866 of 1,838
  The Giotto Rocket is what you need

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=giotto+rocket+blower&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CEsQsARqFQoTCKGT0fuI5MYCFQI5FAodI_gM_A

+1

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #867 of 1,838
Jul 18, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #870 of 1,838
That's the one!!

I sometimes puff my mouth for fun and get tunes......

Sad eh?

I puff my ears to give them a good clean out too
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back