NEW Fostex TR-70, TR-80 & TR-90
May 2, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #49 of 120
The TR-series made it to the Fujiya Show and I took snaps of them but sadly didn't turn out. @spkrs01 & I had a listen to the TR-80 and TR-90 off the AK380.

These are surprisingly quite nice full rich sounding headphones. I can see why some folks here may consider it bright but personally for me I didn't think they were. They're reasonably robust too but I naturally didn't try stomping on them...just the feel of the construction.

Comfort wise, the TR-80 regular pads do feel a little pleather-ish & the TR-90 had thicker pad which are a little more comfortable.

I have to say I personally prefer these to the SINEs.

May 19, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #50 of 120
Would the tr80/80 work good with portable player like a FiiO X5ii or X3ii? Well enough constructed to survive a drop, and easy enough to drive? I just love the look of these :cool:
Was thinking about getting a pair of ath-50x <--- Joke lol, forgot to edit xD

May 25, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #51 of 120
I've decided to add my 2 cents regarding TR-90. I've received these babies a few days ago and all I can say is WOW! Before I explain what I mean I should tell you that my own ears are definitely disagree with some of opinions. I think TR-90s is absolute steal for the money I paid for them. They sound fabulous but... you need a bit of adjustment to make them sing.
All you really need is Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads (https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/) and perhaps V-Moda audio cable. Once all is there you pretty much get an HD800-like headphone. No, they won't exceed the HD800 in any area but they get god damn close. I'm really serious about it. The sound is very clean (not fatiguing), high are smooth and clean, mids are rich and full and the bass is also full and very well controlled, separation and the soundstage are really great. With good tube amp (I use Inspire IHA-1) these headphones sound special.

May 30, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #52 of 120
I'm intrigued by these, as they seem to be a barely disguised attempt to replicate the Beyerdynamic DT line.

I have an order in on the TR-70 250, since it's the closest to the DT990/600 that remain my main headphone. Since there's not much discussion of the most open ones (which seems odd given this site's usual preferences), I will swing back in once I have a chance to compare them to the DT990 and AKG K702.

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #53 of 120
Okay, so they sent the TR-70 80 Ohms and I don't care enough to replace them with the 250s.

With the different reports that have been coming in on these, I wasn't sure what to expect from them.

I need more time to fully process these, but here are a few initial thoughts:
  1. The thick pads are really comfortable, but make them sound horrible--boomy bass, recessed highs and no control over the soundstage. All impressions are with the thinner pads, which are a lot more balanced.
  2. They aren't especially easy to drive--definitely not ideal for portable use
  3. I love the build quality.The metal hinges move smoothly and seem really solid. Overall, these seem like they'll stand up to a fair bit of use.
  4. I was expecting a more analytical/studio sound coming from Fostex, but these are actually really fun cans. They have a nice amount of punchy bass, a slightly U shaped signature, and a nice clear midrange. They are pretty bright, and have little warmth--in some ways, they are almost like hyper-Beyers, which I get may not be for everyone.
  5. Despite that, they aren't harsh or overly bright to my ears, and they sound pretty good with a range of genres.
  6. Their brightness makes them pretty sensitive to recording quality--they sound like crap playing poorly-mixed music - especially if the music is really busy.

I think these have come out in an unfortunately competitive price range. That may mean they don't get much attention, and they really do sound pretty good. Do they sound better than the other headphones in that range? (DT990, AKG KXXwhatevers, etc.) I think they hold their own, but will only appeal to people who want a fun, bright, clear sound signature.

I have to try it still, but I think they'll make pretty good gaming and movie headphones, too--they will resolve a lot of detail, without losing out on fun bottom end punch or midrange clarity.

I haven't tried the 80s or 90s, and I have no idea how similar they sound.

Compared to the DT990/600, the Beyers easily win in terms of soundstage, but have thinner bass. They are about the same in terms of detail, but the midrange of the TR70 is less recessed than the DT770. The treble is about equally bright to my ears. The bass of the TR70 does get a bit more boomy as well, but it's hard to get the volume without any boominess, I think.

Overall, I like 'em. Wouldn't want these as my only headphones, but I think they'll get a fair bit of use.

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #56 of 120
So, I read that the driver is a 1 inch, 40mm... Is that correct? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_111861_Fostex-TR-90-250-ohm.html?sh=1&utm_source=steelhouse&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=rhc

That seems a bit... BIG!

Also, I know that the more open the back, of course more open but are they like the T20, T40 and T50? Bass, flat and treble? If so, which one is the treble cannon and which one is the bass cannon?

Jul 18, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #57 of 120
If anyone is interested in these, they have them for $158.00 + ~ $7.00 shipping here:
http://www.juno.co.uk/products/fostex-tr90-professional-semi-open-headphones-250/600506-01/

They are priced at $200+ if you buy them in the states (this is a UK seller). I guess that they set pricing in the UK prior to the EU/Brexit vote, when the British £ was rock stable, and no one expected that the exchange rate would be more favorable for us in the States. I don't mind waiting 10 days or so to save $35.

Edit: Actually, they have them on Amazon for just $139, so that seems to be a much better deal! This is for the TR80 and TR90 80 ohm only. Every other model is listed at $200.
https://www.amazon.com/Fostex-TR90-80-TR90-80-ohm/dp/B01BJ40082/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1468888111&sr=1-1&keywords=TR90+80+ohm

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #58 of 120
Still head-fi community is not convinced by these Fostex :wink: Well, I have TR-90/250 and enjoy it a lot despite having much higher end phones in my collection. Perhaps, it has something to do with amp/dac synergy that somehow is working out for my set.
I find TR-90/250 really good with an older recordings - vinyls and such. Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" sounds truly wonderful over Lambert Play It By Ear amp+TR-90/250. My point is that I still recommend to try these even if you have doubts. You can always ship them back to where you purchased them from, right? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back