NEW Fostex TR-70, TR-80 & TR-90
Dec 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #106 of 120
Hi, Fostex TR90 comes with 2 kind of pad, thick and normal. What should be the audio listening difference using one or another? Thanks

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #107 of 120
It's just my initial day one impressions. My reviews are much more thorough than this. I haven't given up on them, when a headphone has something deal breaking I give up in a matter of hours and have no desire to even listen to it, it becomes a chore, these aren't a chore to listen to, just a bit bright so far, but I have found brightness can ease a decent amount with use, probably a combination of pad wear and driver break-in. The bass is on the tighter side for sure, especially on the flat pads, the thick pads have more bass. I'm using them on the Sony UDA-1 which is a rather dark and warm sounding amp. Also have a Magni 3 and a Project Sunrise III(haven't tried it yet). Sadly no full tube amps like a Crack or a Woo amp.

I liked your review on the M&O Bluetooth headphones (which I also like), am curious if the the TR just ultimately weren't compelling enough to review. I've noticed that these are $90 on Amazon but definitely haven't really received any traction here on Head-Fi.

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #108 of 120
I liked your review on the M&O Bluetooth headphones (which I also like), am curious if the the TR just ultimately weren't compelling enough to review. I've noticed that these are $90 on Amazon but definitely haven't really received any traction here on Head-Fi.

Thank you. Well it was more the pair I had developed a bad channel imbalance so they got sent back for a refund and I never got around to getting a new pair. Also the treble was just too much for me to handle. The liquid mids were great though.

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #109 of 120
I have the TR90's and I find them a bit boring, IMO, they don't sound harsh at the top end to me, in fact I find them a bit dull there. Overall the sound is very neutral but I have a set of Soundmagic HP150's and HP200's and I would rather use them anyday before the T90's. It's a shame really, It's very hard to pin point why I don't like them, I need to spend a lot more time with them to see if I can sus it out! As for the cable, from what I can see, it is a 3.5mm 4 pole unit but of a kind I cannot find a plug for to make my own or get someone else to makeup a different one for me. Manged to find a long extended 3.5mm plug with a 4 pin 3.5mm socket but it doesn't stay in the socket very well. They have potential but difficult to find plugs for, otherwise boring to me!

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #110 of 120
I have the TR90's and I find them a bit boring, IMO, they don't sound harsh at the top end to me, in fact I find them a bit dull there. Overall the sound is very neutral but I have a set of Soundmagic HP150's and HP200's and I would rather use them anyday before the T90's. It's a shame really, It's very hard to pin point why I don't like them, I need to spend a lot more time with them to see if I can sus it out! As for the cable, from what I can see, it is a 3.5mm 4 pole unit but of a kind I cannot find a plug for to make my own or get someone else to makeup a different one for me. Manged to find a long extended 3.5mm plug with a 4 pin 3.5mm socket but it doesn't stay in the socket very well. They have potential but difficult to find plugs for, otherwise boring to me!

Thanks for the impressions, @Dickymint, and I suspect that your assessment is likely shared by a lot of people since the line never really has taken off.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #111 of 120
As you got me thinking about these headphones, I have just tried them with my recently acquired Aune M2 and they sound good, nice soundstage, wide and clear, slightly muffled in the treble region, as if a certain frequency is missing, the bass didn't sound I prefer the thicker angled pads for comfort and sound. These headphones might be too clinical for me, I am not a fan of the Sennheiser HD600's, I find these boring, sorry fans but its my opinion, I tag these in a similar vein. Personally, I think these could be a great headphone to modify and if a connector could be got to fit the ear piece a different cable might make a big difference, I know I cut mine down as it was way too long! They are nicely made though! TBC...

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #112 of 120
As you got me thinking about these headphones, I have just tried them with my recently acquired Aune M2 and they sound good, nice soundstage, wide and clear, slightly muffled in the treble region, as if a certain frequency is missing, the bass didn't sound I prefer the thicker angled pads for comfort and sound. These headphones might be too clinical for me, I am not a fan of the Sennheiser HD600's, I find these boring, sorry fans but its my opinion, I tag these in a similar vein. Personally, I think these could be a great headphone to modify and if a connector could be got to fit the ear piece a different cable might make a big difference, I know I cut mine down as it was way too long! They are nicely made though! TBC...

Hmmm, well I like my HD 600 quit a bit, so now you’ve renewed my interest in this line ... you have the open ones, the TR-90, right?

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #114 of 120
Yes, I have the TR90s but they are semi open, not fully open.

Yes, oops, I get the TR-70 and 90 confused sometimes because Sound on Sound actually did a mini-review on the line and got those two backwards as to which was open vs semi-open.

May 11, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #115 of 120
I have not waffled here for a while but I thought I would bore you with my two penny's worth of rubbish! Recently I bought, what I thought was a Little Dot II headphone amp but it turned out to be a copy, funny that a Chinese copy of a Chinese product, never mind. Many times I have seen people mention that some headphones need an amplifier to make them sing, well I bought goodness knows how many amplifiers to find everything still sounded the same. Until I got this LDII, as its a copy, it gets hot, very hot and quite quickly but the sound that comes from within is staggering, and the TR90's now sound so good, I cannot begin to explain the difference! Now I know what people mean by a good head amp. The bass has tightened up, the mid range can now be identified correctly, the treble is crystal clear, in fact I would place these against my Hifiman HE400's and say that they now sound quite similar! Yeah, I know, deaf as a post!! It's taken a while but boy was it worth it. Now need to buy the wife some new oven gloves...

May 11, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #116 of 120
It does depend a lot on the amplifiers and tube amps can sound a lot richer than solid state but conversely a few tube amps are hard to distinguish from solid state.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #117 of 120
Hi all! Are the pads on these memory foam?

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #118 of 120
I've decided to add my 2 cents regarding TR-90. I've received these babies a few days ago and all I can say is WOW! Before I explain what I mean I should tell you that my own ears are definitely disagree with some of opinions. I think TR-90s is absolute steal for the money I paid for them. They sound fabulous but... you need a bit of adjustment to make them sing.
All you really need is Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads (https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/) and perhaps V-Moda audio cable. Once all is there you pretty much get an HD800-like headphone. No, they won't exceed the HD800 in any area but they get god damn close. I'm really serious about it. The sound is very clean (not fatiguing), high are smooth and clean, mids are rich and full and the bass is also full and very well controlled, separation and the soundstage are really great. With good tube amp (I use Inspire IHA-1) these headphones sound special.

These are indeed working with the V-Moda Cable? I thought they wouldn't due to these being balanced on the headphone side.

index.jpg

(Taken from Users Manual)

Has anyone tried the V-Moda boom pro whis these headphones?
Update: V-Moda BoomPro "work" but due to the mic extension arm these wont make a proper connection and will actually degrade audio quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back