New Fostex HP-V1 Portable Amp
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #184 of 220
That's expensive - I bought mine in UK brand new from a HiFi shop via Ebay for £280 (about $350).

May 21, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #186 of 220
I haven't heard the ALO, but it looks like a much more expensive (twice the price) and, I would imagine given the price, better version of the V1, so I don't think you would gain anything from it.

May 21, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #187 of 220
Not exactly twice the price. HP-V1 normally costs $500 while CV5 goes for $800. Afaik on a release date HP-V1 was about $600 if I'm not mistaken.
I'm deciding between HP-V1 and CDM.

May 23, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #190 of 220
The V1 I bought was advertised at the equivalent of $400 and I haggled that to $350. It's a lovely amp - really smooth and musical with plenty of 'oomph' - works well with HP-P1 but I can't vouch for other DACs. I still sometimes listen to this combo despite having the AK380 etc and it's about 80-90% of the way there. If you listen to a lot of old or poorly recorded rock music (as I do) you won't notice a huge difference - it's less refined than the AK (which really shines with well recorded material) but very pleasant all the same.

May 24, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #191 of 220
I listen to post-hardcore/metal music. Actually at least 30% of recordings I have are poorly recorded despite the fact that all of them were produced in 21st century.

> really smooth and musical
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe I should give it a try. $400 is not a serious amount of money to get one more portatube amp.

I use CV5 with AK320 and find it a much better combo then AK380 amp.

Have you noticed any hiss during your listening sessions? That's the only consideration I have towards HP-V1

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #192 of 220
Several hifi sites now reporting the HP-V1 as discontinued and it's been out of stock all month on the UK Amazon site. It's still listed on the Foster site. I managed to pick one up from a European seller and I've been very impressed with it so far; in fact I'm slightly surprised that it hasn't garnered more interest, but I guess most people want a DAC/amp-in-one solution.

The volume control on mine has a reasonable amount of resistance, so I've no concerns about using it with IEMs (but not on the move perhaps). It's been playing very nicely with my Mojo and Westones. I think it's a very solid and perhaps underrated performer, particularly if you let it warm up fully.

One question: I assume the tube can't be rolled but can it be replaced easily?

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #193 of 220
Lovin' this rig...

Fostex-HP-V1_DSF7307.jpg

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #194 of 220
Several hifi sites now reporting the HP-V1 as discontinued and it's been out of stock all month on the UK Amazon site. It's still listed on the Foster site. I managed to pick one up from a European seller and I've been very impressed with it so far; in fact I'm slightly surprised that it hasn't garnered more interest, but I guess most people want a DAC/amp-in-one solution.

The volume control on mine has a reasonable amount of resistance, so I've no concerns about using it with IEMs (but not on the move perhaps). It's been playing very nicely with my Mojo and Westones. I think it's a very solid and perhaps underrated performer, particularly if you let it warm up fully.

One question: I assume the tube can't be rolled but can it be replaced easily?
I think it should be replaceable if you have nimble fingers. lol
1.JPG
2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back