New forumite! And looking for headphones for metalhead. HD595 perhaps?
Mar 17, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #31 of 39
No im from Pori. Audiopori nearby has HD595 for testing. They also have Grados and Beyerdynamics, and im quite interested in DT990 too. They are supposed to be way more "fun" sounding than overdetailed DT880, IIRC.

Ja miks perhanas mä puhun maanmiehelle englantia mun heikol kielitaidollani... No aivan sama.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #33 of 39
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
Im going tomorrow to audiopori and give these two cans a run and see which one, DT990 and Hd595, is better for me.

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #34 of 39
Didnt have time to go and listen unfortunately.

However, i noticed there is two different DT990 on market.

DT990 Pro 250ohm which costs about 150€, and DT990 2005 Edition 250ohm, which cost over 250€!
eek.gif
Why the huge difference in price? They look bit different, but are there differences in sound that would justify the huge price difference?

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #35 of 39
I'm a huge fan of Swedish/Finnish melodic death metal, as well as many other kinds of metal. Coming from Finland, I'd assume you know some of the bands I like-Amorphis, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, etc.

DO NOT get the HD-650 without listening to them. I would bet there are very few metal fans as a percentage of the total base that would use those. They're way too laid back and aren't visceral at all.

A much higher percentage would use Grados/Alessandros, perhaps you'd consider a used (SR60) or new (MS-1) pair given your price concerns. I'm sure a friend has a credit card you can use.

I'd definitely audition anything I bought first. But as a metal fan, if I couldn't audition a Grado in my area, I wouldn't have had any qualms with buying a used one. Grados are made for rock/metal.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
I'm a huge fan of Swedish/Finnish melodic death metal, as well as many other kinds of metal. Coming from Finland, I'd assume you know some of the bands I like-Amorphis, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, etc.

DO NOT get the HD-650 without listening to them. I would bet there are very few metal fans as a percentage of the total base that would use those. They're way too laid back and aren't visceral at all.

A much higher percentage would use Grados/Alessandros, perhaps you'd consider a used (SR60) or new (MS-1) pair given your price concerns. I'm sure a friend has a credit card you can use.

I'd definitely audition anything I bought first. But as a metal fan, if I couldn't audition a Grado in my area, I wouldn't have had any qualms with buying a used one. Grados are made for rock/metal.

I have already dropped HD650 from my list. After reading about it, im 100% certain that they are not for me. I want more organic and forwardness instead of laidbackness for guitars.
I know, Grado would be wisest choice when buying blindly, but i can audition DT990 and HD595 and those are what im considering now. Best bang for the buck here in Finland. My father used to Visa but not anymore. He doesnt want to use credit cards either. Cold hard cash is what matters.
evil_smiley.gif

Buying used Grados might be good choice, but people around here dont own much higher-end grados. Or if they do, they do not want to sell their own.

Yeah, all bands you mentioned are very familiar. Far from my fav bands, but still good.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
I know, Grado would be wisest choice when buying blindly, but i can audition DT990 and HD595 and those are what im considering now.

How did you wind up liking those DT990s?

Jun 24, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks
How did you wind up liking those DT990s?

They didnt have DT990 in stock, unfortunately.

I did audition HD595 and Grado SR225, and SR225 totally rocked! HD595 did sound incredibly muffled and lifeless after SR225.

Shopkeeper also recommended me newest edition of DT880. Didnt have money back then though... I said to shopkeeper that when i get the whole sum, i come back and audition the 2006 DT880, 2006 DT990 if he has one in stock, and SR225 side-by-side and pick the best one for me.

I have the money now but we are going to holiday trip soon, so i had to push my headphone purchase 'till i see how poor i am after the trip.
evil_smiley.gif

I ordered K81DJ though for something to enjoy in my trips. Expect a review within few weeks.

Quote:

HD485 absolutely ROCKS...the kick drum will kick a hole in your chest (in a good wayy_)

Audiopori doesnt carry one. Or atleast there isnt one in their website. I have to ask them when time of my biggest headphone purchase draws nearer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back