New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Sep 21, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #346 of 647
even if they do eventually run out, say in 10 years, maybe for a price they will make a pair for u, ofc that wouldn't be cheap though

I doubt that they would make any new “OG” drivers once whatever the service holdback stock runs out. The cost in time and retooling wouldn’t make sense for Focal or the buyer. At that point, scavenging drivers from another existing unit would make more sense.

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #348 of 647
...And the recycled carbon fiber yokes are, well, cheap-looking and ugly. A consequence of "woke-green" design philosophy...
Word!

Sep 22, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #349 of 647
The original CF yokes looked SO MUCH BETTER IMHO. I was going to purchase, but seems like a set of OG Utopia may actually be a better deal. Then the DCA Expanse came out and OMG that just might be the solution. If only the ear cups were not glued on those. Oh well.

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #350 of 647
The original CF yokes looked SO MUCH BETTER IMHO. I was going to purchase, but seems like a set of OG Utopia may actually be a better deal. Then the DCA Expanse came out and OMG that just might be the solution. If only the ear cups were not glued on those. Oh well.

I also like the looks of the original better, but there are advantages to forged composites beyond recycled material. With a higher fiber content that traditional woven CF, forged CF is stronger, more flexible, and has less shape variability (shape stability over time).

Not saying that the original headband was insufficient in these areas, but forged CF is definitely a better material for a headband, mostly due to the increased flexibility with lower clamping force near max bend.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #352 of 647
^ there are impressions from folks who heard both in the canjam socal 2022 impressions thread fwiw

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #353 of 647
has anyone gotten their retail order sets in/shipped? not the pre-release sample sets. I pre-ordered a while back, but my dealer is still waiting for Focal to send him his allocation..

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #355 of 647
Sep 23, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #357 of 647
Any comparisons to the "Expanse"?
I can only give a general comment. I heard the Focal 2022 at CanJam on Naim HE. Same setup as I have at home. I brought my new Expanse with me but didn’t do a direct comparison, since was at Focal booth. Without a direct comparison, I felt my original Utopia with Danacable Reference had better mids and more resolution playing the same tracks on the same system.

At home, doing back and forth with the Expanse and my Utopia, the Expanse is easily more technical with better bass control, more resolution in mids and highs. It has pretty good impact and great bass texture in my system. Soundstage is somewhat the same size with better positioning going to the Expanse. The Expanse is more balanced. With all that said, it’s a matter of preference which you’d prefer. And it’s also possible the 2022 model was doing things I didn’t pick up at the meet. Utopia probably still wins for weight and impact but the Expanse isn’t that far behind. I decided to keep the Expanse and sold the Utopia. It’s just that the Expanse did more things right for me while still staying fun and musical in my system. The Utopia and the new model are still amazing headphones, sound great out of more setups, and have they own unique sound.

What I will say is the new 2022 didn’t seem to do anything noticeable better that would make me want to sell the original to trade up but the Expanse did.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #358 of 647
has anyone gotten their retail order sets in/shipped? not the pre-release sample sets. I pre-ordered a while back, but my dealer is still waiting for Focal to send him his allocation..
Mine just got shipped. It’s coming Monday. I had to bug my dealer who then bugged whomever was in charge of shipping

Sep 23, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #359 of 647
Mine just got shipped. It’s coming Monday. I had to bug my dealer who then bugged whomever was in charge of shipping
Same, mine were shipped yesterday, due on Sunday/Monday.

Sep 23, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #360 of 647
So does one still need/want to upgrade the cable of the Focals?
5k the new normal for TOTL cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back