New firmware 1.10 for X1050/60 (better browser)
Dec 2, 2009 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

shirleywhite

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

Just noticed in the other huge "got my X1060" thread that there's a new firmware for the X series just out ( thanks to Ilney post 2672!) WOW! SHOCK! HORROR! Sony comes up with a firmware update is a shock in itself - but one which is more than a quick bugfix too apparently. The release notes say " improvements to browser"etc. Anyone tried this yet? I'm at work so wont get to it till tonight. It's dated 26/11/09 so been out a few days. Anyone got any views yet??

Regards

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 27
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to update the player that I have at work on Saturday when I head back in and see if it makes any difference. Hopefully it loads faster or maybe adds a better keyboard for typing.

::keeps fingers crossed::

Let us know how this goes down.

-Nylan

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 27
Update went smoothly last night. It seems quite a lot faster to me - loading pages, moving between pages etc. Havent noticed any particular differences on the keyboard per se - because it's (obviously?!) still that "clunky" phone style/multiple button press thingie!

To be honest - like most people - I use my X1060 for music mainly - the best sound around (IMHO) - with decent headphones ! But occasional browser use means this update is welcome ( Sorry that not US yet though!!)

PS Intriguing to see the warning in the release notes - "lose Thai language if update"!!! Presume Sony had to drop something to make room for Netfront browser improvements!! Sorry Thailand!!

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 27
Hi Titaniumx3

I think it's very doubtful if Sony have done anything other than "tweak" the Netfront Browser. I certainly havent noticed any difference at all in anything other than the browser and the sound seems to be the same as before the firmware update. ( ie very very good!! IMHO). I tend to use either Etymotic 6i or UE Superfi5 as my portable phones - with Sennheiser HD25 at home. I rip cds as mp3at 256 (which sounds good to my ears!) and usually run the X1060 with all EQ/bassboost etc off.

Sorry - wandering off into a "this is the best music player i've owned" territory!! As I say - I think the sound is the same as before (IMHO)
Regards.

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 27
I am still confused on why Sony addressed the web browser only. I mean seriously, how many people really use their portable player for a web browsing surfing unit? Surely less than half of all MP3 owners with web capability.

I would hope that Sony would address some other key features missing from the X Series. Like a dedicated Shuffle mode. Perhaps add the shuffle by year back in. Anything! Also, taking the SensMe channels off was a real bummer. Even the PSP offers that now.

I would think that adding a couple of key features back on that they have on their S series walkman and lowering the price by 50 or 100 dollars and they have the best portable unit on the market. Even with the touch's capability of using all the apps, I would take the X series over it in a heartbeat. WAY better screen and the sound quality leaves every Apple product off in the dust.

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 27
I hope this update gets released in the US soon. Does updating the firmware format the player?

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 27
i don't even know if mine's he US version or not rofl, probably is. I don't care for it's web browser capabilities anyway. I have an iPod touch for that. I doubt the Walkman's browser will get anywhere near the iPod's browser, but if it does, bye bye iPod
biggrin.gif
I love my Walkman for music, it's the best Portable Music Player for just that IMO. The iPod is great too yes, but I prefer the Walkmans album art scrolling and buttons on top of the walkman for play/pause etc. I hope Sony continues to bring out Firmware updates, I also hope it could speed up the album art loading, very slow for me
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this update gets released in the US soon. Does updating the firmware format the player?

Only bringing this thread back from the abyss to answer this question (as I have only just updated my firmware) - No, nothing is lost on your player (although you need at least 50mb free on the player for the update to work, that is the only caveat I can see)

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back