New ESS Sabre32 (ES9018) based DAC from Audio-gd....the NFB-1
Sep 20, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #286 of 607

Quote:

I am interested in Haloxt's comment though, did he ever figure out how to add multiple connections without hypothetically making the sound any worse?

Yes, in the ref 7 and some other dac's, you can get multiple input version without using a "cheap switch". Audio-gd keeps changing up how they do digital inputs though... so if you have questions about that you have to ask them not us
tongue.gif
. If I were buying an audio-gd dac $400+, I would ask audio-gd if there's a discount to remove all digital inputs except coax, then buy a DI for more inputs.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #288 of 607

Quote:
Yes, in the ref 7 and some other dac's, you can get multiple input version without using a "cheap switch". Audio-gd keeps changing up how they do digital inputs though... so if you have questions about that you have to ask them not us
tongue.gif
" tongue.gif="" width="" />" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//tongue.gif" title="
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//tongue.gif" title="
tongue.gif
" width="" />" width="" />. If I were buying an audio-gd dac $400+, I would ask audio-gd if there's a discount to remove all digital inputs except coax, then buy a DI for more inputs.

So does the digital signal go through the "cheap switch" or not?

I suppose someone could always get the 7S version with only a single input [coax or bnc]

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #289 of 607
Quote:

So does the digital signal go through the "cheap switch" or not?

I suppose someone could always get the 7S version with only a single input [coax or bnc]

In some audio-gd gear, it goes through a switch, in others, no. If we're talking about the ref 7 with multiple inputs, the answer is no. If you want to know which audio-gd dac's do and don't, you have to ask them, especially since they keep changing how they do inputs. Not too long ago they offered the ability to customize dac19's to have no usb input, but 2x toslink 1x coax, or 2x coax 1x toslink, without having to use a normal switch.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #290 of 607

Quote:
In some audio-gd gear, it goes through a switch, in others, no. If we're talking about the ref 7 with multiple inputs, the answer is no. If you want to know which audio-gd dac's do and don't, you have to ask them, especially since they keep changing how they do inputs. Not too long ago they offered the ability to customize dac19's to have no usb input, but 2x toslink 1x coax, or 2x coax 1x toslink, without having to use a normal switch.

Either way I think a Ref 7S with a DI might be better, even I think Kingwa suggested that the DI was better than the internal USB.  But then I'm sure as honest as he is, there might be a just a tad bit of interest in selling the DI.

Use the BNC and put one of these things over the coax and you should be all set.

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #291 of 607
sorry for turn to another topic.

has anyone delivered or got delivery notice NFB-1 or NFB-7?
first delivery schedule was 15-20, but i didnt find any name NFB-1 or NFB-7 on consignment(also havent been updated since 17th).

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #294 of 607

Quote:
I personally believe that Audio-gd gear gets to be better value as you move up the price range. I have no doubt that the NFB-7 is worth the extra over the NFB-1 in the same way that the Reference 7 is worth the extra over the reference 5 and the Reference 7 HE is well and truly worth the premium over the reference 7.

Hi, What is the differences between the Ref 7 and Ref 7 HE?

Thanks,
Alan

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #295 of 607

Quote:

Hi, What is the differences between the Ref 7 and Ref 7 HE?

Thanks,
Alan

The physical difference is that the Reference 7HE is a two box dac with an external regenerative power supply.

Sound quality wise Kingwa describes it as a subtle improvement but I found it dramatic. It is the closest I have got to the actual music from digital and significantly betters my old Wadia 581. More emotional connection. A vivid soundstage that seems unrelated to the speakers. Deeper bass more extended treble with decay that sounds natural. I just about fall in love with good female singers.  I am hearing details I have never heard on recordings. Lots of ambient information that wasn't there before. It doesn't favor any type of music (neither does the reference 1 or 7) and AC/DC - Thundersruck sounds angry and raw and yet it doesn't diminish the beauty of Dead can Dance - Sanvean

Its very hard to explain in HiFi terms. Closer to the music probably says it best. I listen to just about everything from beginning to end now. It feeds my soul. 

If I could afford another one I would have one on my headphone system as well.

Regards

Macrog

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #296 of 607

Quote:
The physical difference is that the Reference 7HE is a two box dac with an external regenerative power supply.

Sound quality wise Kingwa describes it as a subtle improvement but I found it dramatic. It is the closest I have got to the actual music from digital and significantly betters my old Wadia 581. More emotional connection. A vivid soundstage that seems unrelated to the speakers. Deeper bass more extended treble with decay that sounds natural. I just about fall in love with good female singers.  I am hearing details I have never heard on recordings. Lots of ambient information that wasn't there before. It doesn't favor any type of music (neither does the reference 1 or 7) and AC/DC - Thundersruck sounds angry and raw and yet it doesn't diminish the beauty of Dead can Dance - Sanvean

Its very hard to explain in HiFi terms. Closer to the music probably says it best. I listen to just about everything from beginning to end now. It feeds my soul. 

If I could afford another one I would have one on my headphone system as well.

Regards

Macrog

They still make the HE version? didn't see it anywhere on the site...

What did it cost?

Thanks

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #297 of 607
I would guess it was a special product requested by his Chinese customers.  You can find these unusual items on his forums from time to time.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #298 of 607

Quote:

Just to clarify, are you saying the sound difference between the Ref 7 and Ref 7HE is dramatic, or the difference between the Ref 7HE and the Wadia 581?

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #299 of 607
The improvement from the Wadia 581 to reference 7 was dramatic and there is a similar improvement going to the Reference 7 HE

Regards

Macrog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back