New Erzetich - Current Drive HP Amplifiers
May 19, 2013 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hedphonz

100+ Head-Fier
I saw these featured on Innerfidelity and they got me intrigued with their current drive technology which is completely new to me.

As I understand it though these type of amps treat output impedance differently to traditional voltage amps and they can " adapt " (for want of a better word)  to drive any headphone from 8 to 600 ohms without affecting the frequency range.

To me this sounds very interesting as it would be very versatile in driving anything from IEM's up to the hard to drive 600ohm headphones.

Does anyone know much about this technology ? is it new to headphone amps and how do they compare sonically to the voltage drive amps ?

Below is the link to the post on IF 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/2013-munich-high-end-show-erzetich-audio-headphone-amplifiers

May 19, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 11
May 19, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 11
It's my first post on head-fi ever after being a reader for a long time.

Had the chance to listen to the erzetech amps for some minutes during the munich high end fair. Looking for an amp with lots of current at low impedance for one of my modded grados i can say they do have that capability.

The amps have a great build quality and sound clear, detailed, precise, nice to llisten to. Unfortunately i can't say more about the sound as is was much to noisy around to get an impression about soundstage extension etc. .

About the guys behind the product i can say that they are very friendy, enthusiastic and absolutely competent, knowing each detail you may ask for, exactly knowing why they designed their amps in the way they did.

As a short note they presented their amps with a grado sr325is.

May 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
could you elaborate a bit more than that ?

If memory serves right (my ebay watchlist doesn't have it anymore). There was 1 ebay seller selling those amps (the small and the bigger version) around last year, may have been a pre-order but it was in some European language and I was going to buy one but decided not to. Price was around $500 after euro conversion to my currency.

May 19, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
If memory serves right (my ebay watchlist doesn't have it anymore). There was 1 ebay seller selling those amps (the small and the bigger version) around last year, may have been a pre-order but it was in some European language and I was going to buy one but decided not to. Price was around $500 after euro conversion to my currency.

oh i see - you mean the Erzetich amps are not new - i thought you meant the technology

AU$500 was pretty cheap

May 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
oh i see - you mean the Erzetich amps are not new - i thought you meant the technology

AU$500 was pretty cheap

Yeah that's what I meant. I can't comment on the technology used because obviously I haven't heard one nor looked inside one. 

$500 is almost to the point of being expensive for me well at least for amps but I have no trouble spending that amount on headphones though. 
L3000.gif

May 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
$500 is almost to the point of being expensive for me well at least for amps but I have no trouble spending that amount on headphones though. 
L3000.gif

My God ! i just looked at your inventory - you should open a head-fi museum lol

May 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
A good explanation of the technology can be found on http://sound.westhost.com/project56.htm

thanks german guy - i did try googling for info on these types of amps but couldnt find anything easily understandable - this article you found is brilliant in its explanation and very informative.

cheers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back