New earphones for my MP3 player
Mar 5, 2007 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ofir-harlev

New Head-Fier
Hello, my name's Ofir and as you can guess I'm new here.
I'm actually quite new to the whole earphones subject either, though not to high-end and home-theater systems.
Lets cut to the chase
icon10.gif

I, surprisingly, got a new-old MP3 player from a friend who didn't want it no more, It's a 20gb Rio Karma. It only cost me a mere 18$, since I had to Ebay it a new battery.
Since I saved a lot of money on the MP3 player itself, I now want to invest a nice amount of money on new earphones. This nice amount of money stands on about 130$.
As I searched the web for the ultimate earphones, I came across a weird looking ,high priced, nicely reviewed earphones, the Shure E3C.
As I continued on reading reviews about it, I got under the impression that these headphones were made to give the listener a clear "flat" sound, which is definitely not what I'm looking for.
I want my earphones to have round punchy bass and a warm sound.
I now have the Sennheiser PMX-60 which are totally and utterly uncomfortable, but they sound quite alright...I liked the PX-100 better, but both of them still don't quite cut it. Beside the fact that their not earphones, but headphones, they still don't sound THAT good.
I also searched up the Bang and Olufsen a8, which got a lot of good reviews, but people said they lack bass too.
What do you guys think I should do?
Should I buy the E3C anyway, or should I go with the B&O a8, or maybe you guys have better earphones in mind i could fit in my budget.
Thanks in advance,Ofir.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 26
You should buy UM1's: they sound similar to E3c's, but instead powerfull midrange they have more bass. They also provide warm sound.
A8, because of their construction (they are not canalphones), they cannot have much bass

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 26
oh...thats a bummer =\
is it the equivalent to the Shure E3c?
some reviews say it's not as good as the shures =\
what's going on?? you'd expect earphones at these prices to be the best at anything, why is it so confusing?
I don't know what to do
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 26
I think ultimate basslover IEM would be Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB, (eb stands for extrabass, no?) a bassier model of Super.fi 5 Pro. Jays j-JAYS model is advertised to be for bass-lovers too.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 26
How about the V-Moda Vibe? They average about $80USD, very good bass...and I think the Super.Fi 5 EB's cost about $130USD. I have the Shure E3Cs; they have bass but it was...weak? I didn't like it. It was also very annoying to put on, the E2Cs were better in that aspect, but that's just me ^_^

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ofir-harlev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maza, how much does the super fi EB cost?

Headroom (www.headphone.com) sells them for 149$ (black) and 139$ (white). They also have b-stock (returned ones, opened or damaged packaging or such, but like new) for 115$ and 105$.

You might get them cheaper from somewhere else though, but those prices seem very reasonable and headroom is reputable seller.

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 26
nfsu quite changed my perspective, It really isn't a good idea cycling with an IEM...
Don't you guys have other earphones in mind?
I really don't think I wanna be THAT isolated from the enviorment, I gues it'll be kinda weird =\.

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ofir-harlev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nfsu quite changed my perspective, It really isn't a good idea cycling with an IEM...
Don't you guys have other earphones in mind?
I really don't think I wanna be THAT isolated from the enviorment, I gues it'll be kinda weird =\.

Dunno, I have used headphones since I was a kid, even in area with traffic and bicycling. Didnt have IEMs, but pumped up the volume to cover traffic noise (YIKES!!!), so I was fairly isolated from enviroment. And im still alive. As long as you keep your senses open, its somewhat safe to move around in traffic. There are deaf people too, you know. Of course if you really sink in to the music... But then again, Pori isnt even nearly as crowded as NYC, or any american city.

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #14 of 26
lol, im not from NYC dude...I wish I was.
I'm from Israel, and believe me, the roads here are MUCH MUCH more dangerous than in NYC.
It's just that my brother's being sent there for business, and I wanted him to buy me new earphons.
c'mon dudes is IEM really the only thing out there? =\
Meloncoly, these V-Moda Vibes are IEM's too...

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 26
Although the V-Modas are IEMs, they have an opening, which allows noise to come in so you are not completely sealed off from the world. There's a whole v-moda board with many complaining about isolation and whatnot, about it not being present that is. If IEMs aren't what you were looking for, and you want open type headphones/earphones, maybe you should look into getting semi-open headphones / open headphones, SR-60 from Grado? Although you would have to deal with the long cord and whatnot, but at least you can hear everything...with the cost of your hearing since the volume would be so high in a busy type of environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back