New Earphones for a CX95 User
Apr 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Neil27

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using Sennheiser CX95's for about a year and they have just recently cut out.. I returned them under warranty for cash... I feel like trying out some new in ear headphones for around the same price (£50-60), I am looking for some recommendations..

Things i liked about the CX95's
  1. Warm mid and bass, with quite a good bass range
  2. very good fit in ear
  3. good sound isolation

Things i didnt like
  1. Seemed to be a slight roll off on very top end
  2. thin cable

Basicly im looking for something nicely balanced, Good bass range and can also hit the very high highs. with good build

If it helps.. I mostly Listen to Metal, Rock ,alt .. etc..

Thanks for any input!

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone?

mmmm , the CX95 are hard to beat at £50, the Klipsch Custom 2 is around that price i think on amazon and is as good but not as warm and a smaller soundstage but MUCH better isolation , better for critical listening.
There really arent that many good phones at £50.
If you liked the CX95s maybe try the CX550 II as they are the same but with better case etc.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

anyone?

Hi there, I think it will be difficult to find something comparable with the CX95 for less than £60, especially if you're buying from the UK. The only pair I can think of that might be a logical upgrade is the Sennehiser IE6, but they're £90 from Amazon.co.uk. I haven't heard the IE6, but I've read a lot about them, and the sound signature seems to be what you're looking for, plus the cable is a whole lot better than the CX95. Is £60 your absolute maximum budget for a replacement?

EDIT: Just saw the post above about the Custom 2. They're 'over the ears', so you need to be comfortable with taking a little time to get the right fit. I sent mine back within 24 hours because I couldn't get them to stay in my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there, I think it will be difficult to find something comparable with the CX95 for less than £60, especially if you're buying from the UK. The only pair I can think of that might be a logical upgrade is the Sennehiser IE6, but they're £90 from Amazon.co.uk. I haven't heard the IE6, but I've read a lot about them, and the sound signature seems to be what you're looking for, plus the cable is a whole lot better than the CX95. Is £60 your absolute maximum budget for a replacement?

EDIT: Just saw the post above about the Custom 2. They're 'over the ears', so you need to be comfortable with taking a little time to get the right fit. I sent mine back within 24 hours because I couldn't get them to stay in my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the reply.. maybe i could stretch the budget a bit..

The IE6's look good.. are they considerably better than the CX95's.. as in more detailed sound?

Also.. how do the custom 2's compare to the sound of the CX95's? i would like to have that nice beefy warm bass and mids that the 95's had but with more range and detail in the treble.

Thanks for the help!

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Yes, but it lacks the impact and soundstaging of the CX 95. Between those two at the same price, I would personally go for the Custom 2. Amazingly good value in the UK.

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

The IE6's look good.. are they considerably better than the CX95's.. as in more detailed sound?

I've only had the IE7 and IE8, but read about the IE6 here on Head-Fi, and from what I read - they seemed like they'd be a very decent upgrade from the CX95.
Quote:

Also.. how do the custom 2's compare to the sound of the CX95's?

I honestly couldn't keep them in long enough to tell
biggrin.gif

Quote:

i would like to have that nice beefy warm bass and mids that the 95's had
but with more range and detail in the treble.

Have a look here, there are no direct comparisons with the CX95, but you'll get more of an idea about how they sound. I definitely think they'll have a bigger soundstage than the CX95.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5350659-post8.html

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5352136-post15.html

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...en-iem-402779/

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmmm , the CX95 are hard to beat at £50, the Klipsch Custom 2 is around that price i think on amazon and is as good but not as warm and a smaller soundstage but MUCH better isolation , better for critical listening.
There really arent that many good phones at £50.
If you liked the CX95s maybe try the CX550 II as they are the same but with better case etc.

Are the CX550 II's exactly the same as the 95's? also.. do they have different attachments?

any other opinons on the IE6, and how they compare to 95's or CX550 II? are they worth the extra £30-40?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back