New earphones; Etymotic, Phonak or Sennheiser?
Nov 16, 2010 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

damon796

New Head-Fier
At the moment i have some Sennheiser CX 270's and i'm wanting to upgrade to a decent set of earphones (wanting to spend around £130).

I've been looking around, reading different reviews etc and i've narrowed my choice down to 3. The Etymotic Research ER-4P's, Phonak Audeo PFE 112's and the Sennheiser IE7's.

Just want peoples recommendations on which pair to go for, or if neither of the above suggest a pair that are around the price range.

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 19
Of those, ER4P. My recommendation though, for a few quid more: RE252

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 19
Advanced MP3 Players used to sell them, but doesnt look like they do any more. 

I struck lucky on mine by buying a barely used second hand pair for €130 from Dfkt. You could try keeping an eye on the For Sale forum in case similar deal comes up.

Or, you can order them from Head-Direct in US, for equivalent of £125, although I don't know what delivery charge would be to UK:

http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=80

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but i can't seem to find anywhere in the UK that sells the RE252's?

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 19
They are all 'decent' earphones - you really need to give more info if you want proper recommendations and not a popularity contest between the three earphones, which is how it's looking right now.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 19
Ok well i listen to a lot of drum and bass so i need them to be good bass wise, for price as long as it is in the similar range, need to be comfortable for long journeys and durable (dont want to spend lots on a hair of headphones if they arent going to last very long).

Not sure what other info you would need to be able to make a reccomendation, but that should be enough i would have thought

Thanks

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
They are all 'decent' earphones - you really need to give more info if you want proper recommendations and not a popularity contest between the three earphones, which is how it's looking right now.

100% agree.  I've owned all three and each has it's own strengths and weaknesses for sound and especially fit.  They are however pretty much in the same ball park in price alone.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 19
^ Agree on the IE7.  However, the shape of it may not be for your ears, which, sadly, is the only reason I sold mine; otherwise, I would still be listening to them.  Also, be sure to buy the real deal as well.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 19
if you need bass, then ety is out. My advise is the phonak. (you can change the sound signature with the several filters and this have a very good build quality!)

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 19
I love the etys, but you probably won't get enough bass. Also, I read that a lot of people aren't comfortable with how deep they fit into your ear canal.

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
if you need bass, then ety is out. My advise is the phonak. (you can change the sound signature with the several filters and this have a very good build quality!)

I second that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back