New DVD Players with 720/1080 Up Conversion
Jul 16, 2005 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
A couple days ago got the new Toshiba SD 5980 DVD player ($130) that has digital HDMI output and has video up conversion to 720/1080 resolution feature when connected to compatable TV. This will take the normal 480 resolution of standard DVD signal and process it to appear either 720 or 1080 resolution by pushing button on remote.........I have a newer Hitachi 57" Ultravision projection TV (57S715)

OMG I have been playing all my TV series DVD sets like Buffy, Xena, Farscape and they are just transformed into another league altogether, the improvement in picture quality is very dramatic, almost unbelieveable......tonight I get out the extended Lord of the Rings set for real test!
k1000smile.gif

Anyone else have set-up using a video up conversion process? Comments?
(Tosh gives you free HDMI cable with player but I upgraded to Monster 400 series cable)

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I have a Samsung DVD-HD935 that works wonders too with upsampling movies. I use my sanyo plv-z2 for the hd playback.
Very nice.

Yep, that will do the job also......for sure.
This has to be biggest bang for the buck upgrade ever for DVD image quality!

Here are some more details about Tosh player:
Toshiba

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
its not too new, but they are pretty expensive. I want one for my 70 inch Sony XDR
biggrin.gif

Ok I need to see a pic before I believe that.
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
None of them output HD via Component do they? If they don't...that sucks 'cause my sony monitor supports HDTV through the components

The Toshiba DVD player only has up conversion with HDMI output, the component video outputs have normal DVD resolution.

Just think if you could buy a CD player for under $150 that made all your CDs sound 100% better would you be happy camper????
k1000smile.gif

Booyah!

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Ok I need to see a pic before I believe that.
tongue.gif

I've had to prove it before, lol. I had it in my photobucket, but I deleted it. When I get back to my home, remind me. (I'm in florida right now)

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
My HTPC is my DVD player. Outputs DVI to my HDTV set.

But I want TRUE HiDef DVD's.

Too bad there is a format war and feet dragging.

-Ed

I can't wait either to try those out of my pc.

The fun of comparing stuff is the greatest joy a geek can have.

Jul 17, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
None of them output HD via Component do they? If they don't...that sucks 'cause my sony monitor supports HDTV through the components

Check out the Momitsu V880

I'm pretty sure it upconverts to 1080i via components. Another cool thing about this DVD player is that you can easily hack it with the remote to make it region free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back