New DT880 600ohm @$249, a good buy?
Jul 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hmorneau

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a pair of DT880 03 @250ohm and I love them. But I just saw and offer of a pair of DT880 newest model for 249$ at 600ohm, at that price I just did the order. Do you think it's a good buy and do there is lot (if any) improvement when we compare to the 03 model?

Here the link if others are interested, http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=81347&vpn=491322&manufacture=Beyerdynamic&promoid=1337

I don't have a amp yet, I still use my old Vestax mixer, so I'm not sure how I will be able to drive them since they are 600ohm, but I will see. I still have plenty of gain with the 250ohm.

I'm also thinking to get an Amp, I was sure to get a OTL, but more I look at it, and more I think I should get a SS.

Thanks!

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
I have a pair of DT880 03 @250ohm and I love them. But I just saw and offer of a pair of DT880 newest model for 249$ at 600ohm, at that price I just did the order. Do you think it's a good buy and do there is lot (if any) improvement when we compare to the 03 model?
Here the link if others are interested, http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=81347&vpn=491322&manufacture=Beyerdynamic&promoid=1337
I don't have a amp yet, I still use my old Vestax mixer, so I'm not sure how I will be able to drive them since they are 600ohm, but I will see. I still have plenty of gain with the 250ohm.
I'm also thinking to get an Amp, I was sure to get a OTL, but more I look at it, and more I think I should get a SS.

Good price for the DT880 600-Ohm, I say get the 600-Ohm and sell off the 250-Ohm

The O2 and Magni can decently drive the Beyer 600-Ohm headphones.
But you might want to ask on this thread about a new amp.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/429371/the-beyerdynamic-dt880-appreciation-discussion-thread

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Good price for the DT880 600-Ohm, I say get the 600-Ohm and sell off the 250-Ohm

Whoa, Horsey! Not so fast. There's no guarantee the 600 ohm will sound better in any given situation. I received a 600 ohm and 250 ohm at about the same time and after extensive auditioning decided to keep the 250 0hm. I say let the OP make up his own mind, and when does, write a comparison for us. I for one will be very interested to read it.  

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 13
Well, my 250ohm is the old 03 model. My new one is the newest model at 600ohm. I guess I will get them on monday.

SPL auditor is a good choice? I see it at 789$, is it the best price around?

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 13
I just got my new headphone, so far so good. They sound the same as the 250ohm except less sibilance, first time I hear "Our love is easy - Melody Gardot" without any peak in the high. 

My Vestax mixer can still drive them very loud, I think it's impressive. Time to get the SPL :)

EDIT: In fact they sound better at a lower volume, but if I push them as loud as the 250ohm, they sound exactly the same, I guess it's time for a new amp with enough voltage. I hear a bit a rattle in the deep bass on the right side, but only when I push them.

Should I push the trigger on the SPL Auditor now? Also what DAC I sould use with the SPL?

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
I just got my new headphone, so far so good. They sound the same as the 250-Ohm except less sibilance, first time I hear "Our love is easy - Melody Gardot" without any peak in the high. 
My Vestax mixer can still drive them very loud, I think it's impressive. Time to get the SPL :)
EDIT: In fact they sound better at a lower volume, but if I push them as loud as the 250-Ohm, they sound exactly the same, I guess it's time for a new amp with enough voltage. I hear a bit a rattle in the deep bass on the right side, but only when I push them.
Should I push the trigger on the SPL Auditor now? Also what DAC I sound use with the SPL?

Your currently comparing well broken in DT880 Pro to brand new DT880 Premium.
Give the DT880 Premium 600-Ohm time to break in.

Budget for the DAC?
Where exactly would you attach the DAC?
Using USB or S/PDIF (optical or coaxial)?
Is the Vestax connected to a computer?

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 13
Budget for the DAC?

Whatever... As long as it's good.

PC

USB or S/PDIF (optical) I have one optical output on my computer.

Yes

I don't really believe in "break-in". I think it's more a placebo effect :wink:

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Budget for the DAC?
Whatever... As long as it's good.
PC
USB or S/PDIF (optical) I have one optical output on my computer.
Yes
I don't really believe in "break-in". I think it's more a placebo effect :wink:

If your only into music, the Schiit Modi USB DAC is only $99.
Maybe an HRT Musicstreamer USB DAC, $180
If you want to be able to use the motherboard on-board sound card surround sound features, for gaming and movies, then would need a DAC with a S/PDIF optical input.

A Sound Blaster Titanium HD sound card (PCI-E) would be a fairly good for use as a DAC, Amazon sells used Titanium HDs for $107. Plug your external headphone amplifier to the Titanium HD RCA line-out jacks and use something like Foobar2000 for playing music audio.

I'm sure there are good external DACs costing a few hundred (or more) dollars, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough in that area.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 13
I was just using my 600 ohm 990 with the Sansa clip and O2. I can confirm that the O2 can drive these 600 ohm phones with a not so loud source to moderately loud volumes. The 990 can be fatiguing though, the O2 definitely lets you hear the extra bass and treble they deliver. I liked the 880 at Can Jam '10 so I'm considering getting a pair at some point. I think the 990 outclasses the K701, HD 558 and similar Senns, RS-1, and I'd also take it over expensive phones I've heard such as the SR-009, Abyss, both LCDs, and the HD800. 990 has really nice tonality, a soundstage that seems almost the ideal size, very clear, great separation, and also gives weight to instruments and voices. I just find it fatiguing with stuff like the Japan 1st press of Pantera-Vulgar Display. The way some stuff in the mix sounds so big, it can feel a bit too strong, even if I EQ down the parts on the frequency response graph where it's the loudest. I'm wondering if the 880 would be more up my alley. Or maybe the Philips X1. The bass on the 990 can sound loose with some metal and rock recordings. It's a very, very slight looseness. I'll havta research the 880 some more. Based on the amazon prices I've seen, the price quoted here seems about average for what they're going for.

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 13
Just got the SPL auditor. For those who are looking for an amp for the beyers, stop looking, just get that one.

The DT880@600ohm was a bit shy on bass, now it's no longer the case with the auditor. If you don't have enough bass, it's simply because your amp is not able to drive them properly, I would recommend you to stick with the 250ohms version they will sound much better.

That's my first amp, so far I'm pleased. I guess it will serve me many years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back