New Dream Theater song
Jun 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

drclaw

100+ Head-Fier
New Dream Theater song is up on their youtube page.  http://www.youtube.com/roadrunnerrecords

I'm a little disappointed with it.  I was hoping for something new, but this is more of the same old.  Still it's not terrible.  Also, the new drummer seems a lot like Portnoy.  

The album A Dramatic Change of Events will be out September 13.  

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 10
More of the same? Don't most fanboys (of any band, not just Dream Theater) hate it when the band changes it up? I can't imagine they would put out a single from an album if it was off the beaten path. What I'm trying to say is don't judge the album until you hear it.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm not judging it yet.  I was hoping that with their old drummer out of the picture (he did a lot of the writing) that we would be treated to something new.  You are right though, if they had release something radically different than their usual, they would have caught a ton of flack from their hardcore fans.  

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 10
They are very clearly trying to return to their roots, this song almost can be called Metropolis Pt.3. Dream Theater fans will be praising this song and claiming that Portnoy had been the cancer of the band, the guy who had been pushing the band to be more and more heavy while being less and less prog.

I think that the song is alright, better than the stuff in their last 3 albums, and if the rest of the album is like this then you can make a strong case that they are starting to returning to form. The new drummer is alright, but still not as good as Portnoy.

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 10
I've never been a great fan of the classic progressive metal style, so it might just be my a matter of taste, but i think they really need to incorporate something new into their music to remain interesting, but that doesn't seem to be the direction they are willing to take. The guitar work especially, on the last albums has become quite repetitive and cheesy if compared to their first works, at least with the departure of Mike we'll not get those terrible "tough-guy" vocals
confused_face.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 10
I uh, stumbled upon the entire album last night and haven't stopped listening yet.  Yeah more of the same, but duh, it's Dream Theater and they've been doing this for how long now?  Mangini is on the ball when it comes to drums and he is excellent as Mike's replacement.  Perfect even, though maybe a little buried in the mix compared to prior recordings.  I could be wrong.

I don't see this album gaining them anything new, like fans or notoriety, but I do think it's a nice continuation of what they have going on.  It lacks a Count Tuscany epic song though, I wish it had something that took me there...

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 10
I wanted to listen to A Dramatic Turn of Events for the second time but then LaBrie Started singing and ruined the whole thing. I'm seriously getting sick of the man's voice, he's long overdue.

He used to be so good, could this be age or that fish incident?

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 10
That guy has been singing his brains out almost perfectly for a very long time.  

Funny, I gotta read about the fish incident!  

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 10

I have no idea how or why I was reading about Dream Theater's newest album, but I was and that somehow led me to find this page, which made me laugh so hard, I had to share it here.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=151189

The first comment sums it all up, perfectly.

"This whole episode loosely translates in to one great big "oops!". Well played Mike, well played..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back