New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #4,951 of 5,077
Also, another question, I have the AK SR15 dap and use it mostly for home , I don't like to use a lot when I'm on the go, and I'm ok with the fact that the DFR is a bit brighter than the SR15 I'm looking for a good phone to pair the DFR when I'm on the go, so what is your setup for the dragons ?

Jul 20, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #4,952 of 5,077
Does setting the Max volume in UAPP low enough that if you forget notifications volume high enough it won't blast your ears affects sound dynamics?
You shouldn't get any notifications, calls, or system sounds through UAPP.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #4,954 of 5,077
Hi

Any iOS users having a problem with the Dragonfly Cobolt disconnecting when I pause the music? This is on an iPhone (iOS12) connecting via the lightning/USB adaptor.

I have to reconnect the lightning/USB adaptor each time to get it to reconnect.

It's a weird problem, and totally impractical.

edit: Never mind. After more investigation I think the USB is disconnecting when the iPhone is locked. Yet this is also intermittent. I'm not sure whether it is the Dragonfly or the iPhone behaviour in this state.

Nonetheless, I'm returning the Cobalt. It's putting some sibilance in my IE800s and doesn't quite improve my B&W P9s as much as hoped, especially considering the price of the Dragonfly.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #4,955 of 5,077
I just leave it hanging out of my pocket.

I bought a set of "Hook and Loop Reusable Fastening Bylon Cable Straps' on amazon. I use Cobalt mainly with my ipod touch so I strap the cck+C at the rear of the ipod. Helps to keep it in place.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #4,956 of 5,077
I have a Dragonfly Red connected to an iPhone 8plus, driving new Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm headphones. Just got the headphones tonight. Everything sounds awesome but I'm not getting satisfactory volume levels unless I have the 8plus volume turned up to 2/3 or higher. As an experiment, I disconnected the Dragonfly Red and used the Apple dongle to hook the headphones to the phone. What I encountered was that the volume using the Apple dongle was essentially the same, perhaps a small bit less, than when I use the Dragonfly Red. Does anybody know if this is a normal or expected situation? It's almost as if the Dragonfly Red isn't amplifying much. Any ideas? Thanks in advance....

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #4,959 of 5,077
I have a Dragonfly Red connected to an iPhone 8plus, driving new Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm headphones. Just got the headphones tonight. Everything sounds awesome but I'm not getting satisfactory volume levels unless I have the 8plus volume turned up to 2/3 or higher. As an experiment, I disconnected the Dragonfly Red and used the Apple dongle to hook the headphones to the phone. What I encountered was that the volume using the Apple dongle was essentially the same, perhaps a small bit less, than when I use the Dragonfly Red. Does anybody know if this is a normal or expected situation? It's almost as if the Dragonfly Red isn't amplifying much. Any ideas? Thanks in advance....

Perceived volume may well be similar but quality of sound may not.

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #4,962 of 5,077
Thanks for the reply! I ended up getting a FiiO A5 and am having a great time with this iPhone to Drangonfly Red to A5. Very satisfied!
I have no clue on how it works with iOS, but at least on the Android you need to use a 3rd party app to take control of the audio device. That's the only way to get bit perfect audio signal for the DAC, otherwise the operating system will use its audio drivers to interfere with the signal. It will happen with Android and Windows at the very least, but as I've said I don't know how it works with iOS. I think it's highly likely that it's the exact same case with that OS. If I want bit perfect audio on windows, I use Tidal and simply check the "Use exclusive mode" for the DFR. When I select different songs with different bit rates, the DFR light changes accordingly. If I don't tick that option the light will stay at the matching color to whatever sample rate I've selected from Windows audio settings.
So the best way to detect whether the DAC is doing all the sound processing is to see whether the light goes green for 44,1kHz and red for 96kHz and slightly darker red MQA for example.

On the Android, if I use Spotify for example, the light will stay blue, at 48kHz. Same happens with regular audio players too, which route the audio via Android sound processing procedures, that scales the audio always to 48kHz. So if you use Spotify for example, don't expect to be able to make it louder. If you use a proper software with audio controller to directly route the digital signal to the external DAC, then you should get a lot more volume out of the device as well. If I use Onkyo HF player on my Android and plug earphones to the DFR, I will hear the song even after setting volume to 0 on the phone, because the amplification is simply too much.

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #4,963 of 5,077
Settings >> Volume >> Volume steps. This allows you to get more control. It goes up to 100 steps, but I have mine set at 50 and don't need anything more.

If you still need more control:
Settings >> USB audio >> Bit perfect mode >> Off
Then:
UAPP home screen >> button that looks like a graphic EQ >> Hardware Vol. This allows you to set a max volume. I haven't used it in a long time, but I think the way I used to do it was to set the main volume to the middle and then adjust the "hardware volume" slider so that it's just louder than my normal listening level. No harm in experimenting to find what works for you.

Hope this helps.
Thanks ! I was also having issues with the volume steps jumping up so much .

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #4,965 of 5,077
For some reason, connecting dfr with uapp , can't set HW volume , no matter what I set the volume to, when I exit the app Spotify playes the same volume
It's been a while since I've used UAPP or my DFR (since my DFR broke in April/May), but if I recall, you have to unplug the DFR from the phone and then replug it. When you replug, don't let UAPP connect to DFR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back