New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Nov 12, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #3,916 of 5,065
You don't MEED root. You will have to make an additional app purchase, however the dragonfly can be used with any app of your choosing. I've used it with YouTube, Netflix, HBO, ESPN, etc. As I stated, the USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO app allows you to adjust the hardware volume of the Dragonfly. After doing so you can hit the back button to exit the app, and that hardware volume will be locked on the device until disconnection. You can then use Android 15 step software volume to adjust the volume as needed in what very app you choose. Been doing this for months

Ah didn't know that. I'll look into it, thanks!

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #3,917 of 5,065
Ah didn't know that. I'll look into it, thanks!
Ok. Well FYI, in the app you need to go to settings, and adjust hardware volume.

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #3,921 of 5,065
Waalaikumusalam bro.. We're like neighbors, I'm from tmn kosas Ampang

Waahh.. cool! Dekat je. Yes I use the DFR. I just sold off my Chord Mojo. I had the Mojo for a little for than a year. Loved the light and clean sound but.. after extensive comparison, I realised Mojo ni dia a bit cold and clinical - banyak spatial information (atmosphere, ambient sounds of recording venue, reproduction of space) is missing and it renders the music flat and lifeless sometimes.

And this is where the Red comes in handy - it may not have the solid military-like construction of the Mojo tapi, the idea that you don't need to charge it and it is a tiny miracle, made me go back to it everytime. The Red sounds more musical than the Mojo in my opinion - and I listened to many, many recording before I reached this conclusion.

What equipment you pakai now? Oh, my earphones/headphone ada tiga: Grado SR125e, Etymotic SR4 and VE Monk.

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #3,922 of 5,065
Waahh.. cool! Dekat je. Yes I use the DFR. I just sold off my Chord Mojo. I had the Mojo for a little for than a year. Loved the light and clean sound but.. after extensive comparison, I realised Mojo ni dia a bit cold and clinical - banyak spatial information (atmosphere, ambient sounds of recording venue, reproduction of space) is missing and it renders the music flat and lifeless sometimes.

And this is where the Red comes in handy - it may not have the solid military-like construction of the Mojo tapi, the idea that you don't need to charge it and it is a tiny miracle, made me go back to it everytime. The Red sounds more musical than the Mojo in my opinion - and I listened to many, many recording before I reached this conclusion.

What equipment you pakai now? Oh, my earphones/headphone ada tiga: Grado SR125e, Etymotic SR4 and VE Monk.

Thx 4 da inputs bro.. Might have a TTS with u n the other Malaysian forumers in here..
I just sold off my fiio q1mk2 last week.. Planning to get the DFB and also sennheiser momentum over ear 2.0.. Using my moto g5 plus as the source..
Having momentums on ear 1.0 for portable n grado sr60 for home use..
Bagi la contact no, who knows we can have a Teh tarik session.. Hehe
Do comment on my setup, oh ya.. Im on a very very tight budget

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #3,923 of 5,065
Guys im thinking of buying the DFR to connect to my pixel XL. What cable do i need?
I was also looking at iFi Audio Nano iDSD Black Label. Which would be the better option (pairing with IE800)

Thanks

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #3,924 of 5,065
Any OTG, Type C Male USB to Female USB will work. I'd also try to get one rated USB 3.0 though not really required... And I like to get one with a 90 Degree, or "right angle" On the usb type C male end... ones on Ebay work fine.

Make sure it is listed as Being OTG Type.

I have IDSD Micro the Black Label, but for me it's not exactly portable on a daily basis. For that one you need a MALE Full sized USB to connect to the IDSD.. I think the Micro IDSD black sounds better than the DFR... Better bass for sure. IF the Nano version is same with less power, it would be a good choice. Even the Nano, is still not as portable as the DFR; But has better volume control, and does not use the battery of the Phone when using it.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,926 of 5,065
Hi I’d just like to ask especially for those who’ve had or have had the dragonfly red. What’s the next upgrade if I want to get just a better dac. I use my ADR as dac only to my darkvoice 336SE tube amp. If ever I wish to upgrade what should I look at?

Entertain yourself and start rolling tubes with your tube amp. You have an alternative of getting more of a desktop DAC instead of a portable unit. The micro ifi black seems to have a nice dual burr brown dac chipset so I think that would be nice and organic and very good detail. If your a detail freak you may enjoy looking into ESS Sabre chipsets but many implementations of that setup (reasonably priced) sound analytical or very detailed and not as organic as burr brown.

If your dumping approx a grand on this hobby I'd say look at other headphones as long as your somewhat satisfied of the DFR as a dac. Borrow some HP and test with your current setup. There will be a massive difference in SQ when you change your speakers/hp. This is a hobby so it's all about wasteful spending of $$$$ for audio Nirvana!!!!!!! :) My HD800, Hifiman HE560 and HD650 sound totally and completely different when using the identical amplifier /dac setup. HE560 has beautiful meaty realism to jazz vocals and enough detail to satify me. The HD800 cannot touch the holographic sound you get from the cheaper he560. The HD800 is extremely detailed with instrument separation but is analytical and the HD650 just blends everything together as a pleasant chillout headphone. My point...... experiment!!!

I remember my Concero HD dac that was insane detail and wide soundstage. Some love it but I'm wanting warmth and meaty signature and the Concero was NOT the dac for what I wanted.

If your lugging a laptop to a coffee shop and wanting a nice portable amp/dac combo with alot of juice the IFI micro black label will deliver. The Micro black label is kinda big but it'll run virtually anything you throw at it. My Peachtree shift to my ears destroys the DFB and DFR in meaty rich music that is not overly warm and enough detail. Most importantly it's not expensive and it's battery operated. I've been entertaining the thought of buying a DFR again for my iPhone 8+ as the apple dongle is dreadful. I've now resorted in tolerating my iphone 6+ headphone jack to run my portable headphones and iphone 8+ in my other pocket. Lugging a Mojo or any portable is kinda pain in the butt IMO for running around. As I'm less critical on the run my apple iphone 6+ is great.

Many ways to skin a cat.

What do you like???? analytical sound? warmth?

If you have a tube amp I'm assuming warmish and holographic. The price of the HE560 at the moment you'd be absolutely amazed in how they sound and very good clarity for the cheap price at the moment.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #3,927 of 5,065
Been using my Dragonfly Red on my headphones and the Dragonfly Black in my car for months now with an iPhone. However just this AM it started cutting out like what others have reported!!!

Prior to this in anticipation of the new iPhone X on a recent road trip I used my wife’s iPhone 7 loaded with ios11 to make sure I didn’t get any drop outs which was a success.

So when the iPhone X came out I tested it with both my Dragonfly Red and Black and it worked flawlessly.

Over the weekend there was an IOS11 update... and now on my drive to work this AM my iPhone X kept dropping out as if the audio stream couldnt buff enough.

I’ve never ran a software update on the Dragonfly’s since I got them this spring... will a software update from Audioquest fix this? Or am I just SOL and should start exploring a bluetooth solution for my car instead.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #3,929 of 5,065
I've been using my Dragonfly Red with Tidal.

When I have the streaming settings on Tidal to "System Default" the light on the Dragonfly change colors normally. But when I switch the setting to "Audioquest Dragonfly Red" and do the MQA and Exclusive option, the light colors only change from green to blue, never anything higher khz. Anyone else get this? is it working normally?

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #3,930 of 5,065
I've been using my Dragonfly Red with Tidal.

When I have the streaming settings on Tidal to "System Default" the light on the Dragonfly change colors normally. But when I switch the setting to "Audioquest Dragonfly Red" and do the MQA and Exclusive option, the light colors only change from green to blue, never anything higher khz. Anyone else get this? is it working normally?
you should NOT tick the MQA setting or else it will not process the MQA data. So just check exclusive but not the MQA option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back