New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 9, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2,671 of 5,077
  Just want to see if you more knowledgeable folks can clear up a question I have regarding the upcoming MQA update to DFR and DFB.  As I understand it, programs like Tidal will still need to do the first unfold in the software, then pass on that initial unfold data to the DFR or DFB for additional hardware unfolds up to a max of 192KHz.  Is this correct?

I copied this link from the CES 2017 MQA Thread. It's a good read and will help you understand MQA a little better.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/748-mqa-civilians/

~M~

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #2,672 of 5,077

Found a great China-made carrying case that's a great alternative to Pelican cases. Cheap and great temp home for my DF Red, AQ Jitterbug and Sony XBA-Z5 when on the move

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,676 of 5,077

I copied this link from the CES 2017 MQA Thread. It's a good read and will help you understand MQA a little better.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/748-mqa-civilians/

~M~

Super helpful thanks!  This really broadened my understanding of MQA.  So what we've been listening to out of the DFB/DFR as of today from Tidal (or any other MQA source) is just the Core Decoding.  Once they release this update, we'll get the hardware rendering as well!

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2,677 of 5,077
Another question for the group.  How can I play from my MacBook Pro using the Dragonfly Red out to my Pioneer VSX-44 receiver? Would I need a 3.5mm to Red/White adapter cable and plug into the stereo In plugs on the Receiver?

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #2,678 of 5,077
MQA still making me scratch my head.

They state

"Real world example:

1. The studio creates a track at 24 bit / 352.8 kHz DXD. 
2. The studio uses the MQA process on the track, packaging it as 24 bit / 44.1 kHz.
3. The consumer purchases or streams the 24 bit / 44.1 kHz track.
4. The consumer's playback system decodes and renders the track at 24 bit / 352.8 kHz DXD."

Make understanding:

1.  That 24/352 is going to be about 50mb - 100mb file
2.  I smell Compression
3.  File is now 1/3 of it's size
4.  10mb file is now lossy playing at 24/352.

I was just skimming through that link provide.  Streaming can work, but downloading (Unless their giving me the full un-compressed file in raw format) will not be true 24/352, etc...

I can be incorrect with all this, but please explain.  Thanks

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,679 of 5,077
  Another question for the group.  How can I play from my MacBook Pro using the Dragonfly Red out to my Pioneer VSX-44 receiver? Would I need a 3.5mm to Red/White adapter cable and plug into the stereo In plugs on the Receiver?

Yes that will work.  I would do the exact thing if I wanted to route my DFB to a Tube AMP.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #2,681 of 5,077
@SPLWF I could be wrong but I think it's more like a .zip file where the contents inside are unchanged. As it's decoded and rendered, the original 24/352 content is presented.

lol, good answer, that's a possibility.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,683 of 5,077
  MQA still making me scratch my head.

They state

"Real world example:

1. The studio creates a track at 24 bit / 352.8 kHz DXD. 
2. The studio uses the MQA process on the track, packaging it as 24 bit / 44.1 kHz.
3. The consumer purchases or streams the 24 bit / 44.1 kHz track.
4. The consumer's playback system decodes and renders the track at 24 bit / 352.8 kHz DXD."

Make understanding:

1.  That 24/352 is going to be about 50mb - 100mb file
2.  I smell Compression
3.  File is now 1/3 of it's size
4.  10mb file is now lossy playing at 24/352.

I was just skimming through that link provide.  Streaming can work, but downloading (Unless their giving me the full un-compressed file in raw format) will not be true 24/352, etc...

I can be incorrect with all this, but please explain.  Thanks

Maybe watch this vid, and his other MQA vids if your interested 

MQA is quite clever, some very knowledgable people in this field have dismissed MQA so it may be a case of 'time will tell'.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #2,684 of 5,077
On page 172 of this thread, in the reply from Audioquest, they refer to a "volume issue".  What was this issue?  I tried using my DFB with my main system and could not get enough volume out of it, yet it plays plenty loud on my headphones.  I used my iMac into the DF, and that into my pre-amp via a 3.5 to RCA cable.  I had to have the pre-amp turned up to 11 to get a reasonable volume, and then I got all the hiss and noise too that it amplified.  I would have expected a higher output from the DFB, at least enough to drive my pre-amp.  The pre is a DIY Aikido 24v, my amp is a modified ST-70.  When I play phono I have plenty of gain, Oppo BDP93 is fine, Echo Dot is a little low but OK.  The DFB I just couldn't get enough. 

I'm listening to Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily at the moment on Tidal MQA on the computer with DFB and BD DT1350s, I've never heard it so good, and I've always used this as a test disc.  That is, when I still listened to CD.  Between vinyl and MQA I may never listen to a CD again.  For that matter, I never actually owned that many CDs considering I've been buying them since 1985. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back