New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 17, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #2,478 of 5,077
Using the Bowers and Wilkins P7 Wireless in Wired mode with the DFR and setting Tidal to have exclusive use of the device (to allow it to change Mac Midi output based on song sample rate), nets me having the Tidal volume bar at about 1/10 for work listening volume levels.  Even when I put it all the way down, I still have low volume music coming through.  Am I doing something wrong?

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #2,479 of 5,077
just love my little dragonfly red.....the mojo/ipod touch is a bit of a PITA to carry around.
the dragonfly, however,s o different: such a breath of fresh air when paired with the ipod touch....lightweight, inconspicuous...
and the sq diff: luckily i've no golden ears..when out and about anyway, lots of noise conflicting anyway.

imo the dragonfly red is a little rocking wonder.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,480 of 5,077
Keep the mojo, I was surprisingly disappointed in the dfr after all the write ups. It has a very poor low end, sounds thin and bright for my personal taste. I'd try the dfr before selling the mojo. Good luck.

You were so right. My Mojo arrived today. It's soooo nice. Detailed yet thick and warm.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,484 of 5,077
Hi everyone,
I just started reading this thread. My dragonfly red arrived today and it already works flawlessly with my macbook air and audioengine a5+ speakers. I want to use it with my iphone 6 as well however and I was wondering if it matters which apple camera adapter you get: the normal usb one or the usb 3 one?
Thanks in advance for the info.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,485 of 5,077
  Hi everyone,
I just started reading this thread. My dragonfly red arrived today and it already works flawlessly with my macbook air and audioengine a5+ speakers. I want to use it with my iphone 6 as well however and I was wondering if it matters which apple camera adapter you get: the normal usb one or the usb 3 one?
Thanks in advance for the info.
Greetings, Anouk,

Certainly the USB 3 is the safer bet to avoid problems.  Less portable though.  Maybe get the old one, see if you have the clicking problem and if so exchange it.

As I mentioned, my problems with the old CCK were reduced almost entirely after installing the newest version of iOS 10.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #2,486 of 5,077
I have the USB 3 CCK and it works without any issues.

This info is from the Audioquest Site.

In some rare instances, the combination of an iOS device in conjunction with the standard CCK and DragonFly Black or Red causes a clicking in the background of the music.

Neither we nor Apple have been able to determine why that is, but in circumstances where this occurs we’ve found that using Apple’s Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Connection Kit resolves the problem. In addition, this connector offers improved audio performance over the smaller unit and gives the end user the ability to charge their iOS device while listening to music.

Hope this helps

Marcus

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2,487 of 5,077
I purchased the USB 3.0 Camera adapter from Apple for fear of the clicking I read about with the 2.0 version.  Haven't had any issues with it.  Although, I rarely use the iPhone to listen to Tidal HiFi now since I've been cruising through the Masters MQA content and need to use the MacBook for that!  I hope they enable Master on mobile soon.  Even if the app doesn't do any MQA decoding, the DFB and DFR will soon be able to do it all on it's own.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,488 of 5,077
  Using the Bowers and Wilkins P7 Wireless in Wired mode with the DFR and setting Tidal to have exclusive use of the device (to allow it to change Mac Midi output based on song sample rate), nets me having the Tidal volume bar at about 1/10 for work listening volume levels.  Even when I put it all the way down, I still have low volume music coming through.  Am I doing something wrong?

Hope it's ok to bump my question above.  Using the P7 Wireless with DFR on MacBook Pro using Tidal in Exclusive mode - Macbook pro volume doesnt matter, only tidal and volume bar at 1/10 it still very loud.  Anyone know why?

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #2,489 of 5,077
  Is there a way to equalize the sound from the dragonflys?

re-sampling sound software processors can ruin a lot with the way dragonfly can sound, so it depends on what OS/software/hardware platform you're using.

if using EQ on mobile devices, you're at the mercy of the software, juice and cabling to the hardware.

on Windows OS platforms, setup audio routing to "direct sound" and make sure ground paths and USB cleansing is present.

if using hardware mixer, recommend jitterbug, it will keep everything clean from your dragonfly all the way through mixer/FX samples to your speakers as much as possible, but only if using high quality cabling.

as far as software mixers, very few software developers get it thoroughly sounding right and tight on software timing. so don't be sold on dragonfly right away if you've only tested one program's EQ output.

as far as hardware mixers for example, not a big fan of entry-level Yamaha mixers, it re-samples like it thinks customers are using low quality speakers, meaning I can hear the audio degrade significantly as if Yamaha thinks they want to synthesize everything back to the 90's tv-style speakers.

EQ always works best on 320K/FLAC/WAV,etc sound files. highs/mids/lows, FX processors, will be more adjustable and tune-able on higher quality sound files.

there are no real rules; if it sounds good, it sounds good, if not, try something else and keep searching. i was never able to get my highs at 60% smooth and perfect mids at 45% until dragonly_RED matched with the jitterbug.

one listening issue with some hardware EQ's is the GAIN may be set prematurely with the volume settings, and sometimes it's absolutely hit or miss depending on what can actually be tuned with the immediate speaker controls and its tune-settings, and especially a problem for headphones that have built-in processors where the audio enhancement is "always enabled" and thus making the dragonfly_RED utterly useless with some EQ controls, as to deviate potentially preferable & desired change in audio performance and quality.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #2,490 of 5,077
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info, I will get the 3.0 adapter just to be on the safe side. Fingers crossed that it will be portable enough.
2 more questions:
I have an iphone 6 now but might want to buy a 7 later this year. My meze99 classic has a headset, i guess I cant use that anymore if connected through adapter and dragonfly?
Second question. I have heard a bit in this thread about the audioquest jitterbug. Does it really make a difference and do you just connect that into your laptop and then connect the dfr to the jitterbug? I guess it also works with ios or does it need separate power?
Thanks again for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back