New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 16, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,463 of 5,077
I recently purchased the DFR and have experienced numerous times where a loud screech comes through the headphones, Sure 846's. Unplugging and/or restarting the iPhone has cleared it. Wondering if others have experienced similar challenges? Definitely enjoying the sound and portability but wondering if it could be defective?

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #2,464 of 5,077
So, I'm decided to try the DFR for my office rig which right know is just HD598 SE and a macbook air. I'm thinking if the DFR is not going to be a little bit overkill for these CANs?

The other option I'm thinking about is to do some swapping with the RIG at home which is:

Grado SR225i (used 10% of the time)
Sennheiser HD650 (Used 90% of the time)

Audio GD Fun (WM8740) as DAC
Schiit Valhalla (V1) as AMP for the Senns, The FUN is also used as pre-amp
Grados are amped by the FUN.

So what would you do guys? Is the DFR a better DAC than what I have at home now? I would like to leave the best equipment at home.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #2,465 of 5,077
DFB or HRT microstreamer? Using Etymotic ER4PT and planning to use it on IP7 and MBP.

Listen to music using spotify premium.

Loving the portability of the DFB but i can get the microstreamer at the same price. Is getting the microstreamer abit of an overkill for the ER4PT?

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #2,467 of 5,077
I recently purchased the DFR and have experienced numerous times where a loud screech comes through the headphones, Sure 846's. Unplugging and/or restarting the iPhone has cleared it. Wondering if others have experienced similar challenges? Definitely enjoying the sound and portability but wondering if it could be defective?

Before returning the red twice I had a loud hiss that would occasionally appear on one than a loose rattling in the second one. So from my experience poor quality control so might want to exchange and keep your fingers crossed.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #2,468 of 5,077
Thanks, exchanged the first one and so far so good....fingers crossed

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #2,469 of 5,077

Yes, this is is apparently a thing. My friend bought the Black 1.5 version and on 3 different computers it was glitching out the audio occasionally.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #2,470 of 5,077
Hey there,

I need to pick up today either a DF Red to use with my Galaxy S6 or an LG V20. I like the S6 and would keep it longer but...

Have the Android volume issues with streaming been adressed? That's definitive for a decision.

Thank you all :)

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #2,471 of 5,077
Hey there,

I need to pick up today either a DF Red to use with my Galaxy S6 or an LG V20. I like the S6 and would keep it longer but...

Have the Android volume issues with streaming been adressed? That's definitive for a decision.

Thank you all
smily_headphones1.gif

Simple answer 'NO'.

Despite some suggestion of a firmware update there hasn't been one and as such the DFR will not reach full volume with the S6 unless you play all audio through UAPP. Additionally Android resamples all system audio (not UAPP though) and provides no direct hardware control over the volume of USB DACs (unless using UAPP).

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #2,474 of 5,077
OK, so I got a DFR, and I've been trying it out for a few hours now. Overall I have to say I am not very impressed when comparing it to the MacBook DAC and a simple handmade CMOY amp. I am using FLAC 44.1Khz and APE 44.1 too, and a bit of Spotify Premium.

I have zero knowledge of how to describe the sound in audiophile terms, so please bear with me and see if this makes sense...

Yes, there is a bigger separation of instruments, not a huge difference but to my ears it is there. There is also a little bit more of detail on the highs, with crystal clear ending of bells and metallic sounds.
However, the whole thing is sounding quite harsh compared to the MacBook DAC. Sometimes the 's' in the vocals are even unpleasant. Granted the cans that I am using don't have a lot of bass (HD555) will try tomorrow with the Sony MDR100AAP which are a bit more bassy. It feels a bit fatiguing after a while, and I never had that problem before with the Sennheiser headphones.

On the other hand, the sound out of the MacBook and through the CMOY seems to come more as a whole in both ears, with less separation between sounds. It is more difficult to position instruments on stage, and figure out distances...  but overall it is a more sweet balanced and pleasant sound. 

I am ordering a Y splitter and see if I can connect my headphones to both amps at the same time (only outputting sound in one at a time of course, switching the output audio device in VLC) and do a bit more quick switch A/B test.

So my conclusion is that while it is a little nifty gadget, pretty well built and convenient, it does not improve the sound a lot more than a simple amp providing the source is a MacBook Pro. Maybe the MacBook has a particularly good DAC already?
I am going to say it is not worth the 170£ in my book. Obviously that's just my noob opinion. I was expecting a lot more for some reason. Unfortunately the shop I went to does not do refunds, so I'll have to live with it or resell it somehow.

Does that match your experiences? 

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #2,475 of 5,077
OK, so I got a DFR, and I've been trying it out for a few hours now. Overall I have to say I am not very impressed when comparing it to the MacBook DAC and a simple handmade CMOY amp. I am using FLAC 44.1Khz and APE 44.1 too, and a bit of Spotify Premium.

I have zero knowledge of how to describe the sound in audiophile terms, so please bear with me and see if this makes sense...

Yes, there is a bigger separation of instruments, not a huge difference but to my ears it is there. There is also a little bit more of detail on the highs, with crystal clear ending of bells and metallic sounds.
However, the whole thing is sounding quite harsh compared to the MacBook DAC. Sometimes the 's' in the vocals are even unpleasant. Granted the cans that I am using don't have a lot of bass (HD555) will try tomorrow with the Sony MDR100AAP which are a bit more bassy. It feels a bit fatiguing after a while, and I never had that problem before with the Sennheiser headphones.

On the other hand, the sound out of the MacBook and through the CMOY seems to come more as a whole in both ears, with less separation between sounds. It is more difficult to position instruments on stage, and figure out distances...  but overall it is a more sweet balanced and pleasant sound. 

I am ordering a Y splitter and see if I can connect my headphones to both amps at the same time (only outputting sound in one at a time of course, switching the output audio device in VLC) and do a bit more quick switch A/B test.

So my conclusion is that while it is a little nifty gadget, pretty well built and convenient, it does not improve the sound a lot more than a simple amp providing the source is a MacBook Pro. Maybe the MacBook has a particularly good DAC already?
I am going to say it is not worth the 170£ in my book. Obviously that's just my noob opinion. I was expecting a lot more for some reason. Unfortunately the shop I went to does not do refunds, so I'll have to live with it or resell it somehow.

Does that match your experiences? 

By the sound of it you do not like the bright sound of the dfr, personal preference. I didn't either with some headphones. You might hear a bit more of a difference with tidal master streaming or higher res music. But it's a generic dac in the df series and the red happens to be the brighter more detail oriented version while the black is warmer more bass, smoother sound. There are dac/amps out there that meet in the middle from other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back