New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 11, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #2,418 of 5,065
I'm swinging back and forth between enjoying the DFR and preferring the stock lightning to headphone adapter. The DFR does sound more airy but the bass is reduced and the treble boosted. I can see now what was meant by it sounding thinner. I had a similar quandary with the original v1.2 model, it seemed to be playing with the eq more than anything. Perhaps it's because I'm only using Apple Music and Spotify as sources.

Considering selling it since they seem to be fetching around £150 or so on eBay.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #2,419 of 5,065
I use the DFB with the old CCK and IPhone 5s. No pops or clicks or dropouts whatsoever. Powers my Sennheiser Momentum2 easily. I usually have the volume at 4-5 and it's really loud.

I'm a Tidal Hi-Fi subscriber and I have to say the sound is exceptional.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #2,420 of 5,065
I'm swinging back and forth between enjoying the DFR and preferring the stock lightning to headphone adapter. The DFR does sound more airy but the bass is reduced and the treble boosted. I can see now what was meant by it sounding thinner. I had a similar quandary with the original v1.2 model, it seemed to be playing with the eq more than anything. Perhaps it's because I'm only using Apple Music and Spotify as sources.

Considering selling it since they seem to be fetching around £150 or so on eBay.

Well, what is technically considered "balanced" is what most consumers would call "thin", see any Etymotic product review ever. What headphones are you using it with? What genres of music do you listen to? Are you using Spotify 320kbs?

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #2,421 of 5,065

Well, what is technically considered "balanced" is what most consumers would call "thin", see any Etymotic product review ever. What headphones are you using it with? What genres of music do you listen to? Are you using Spotify 320kbs?

I'm using JH Angies. Mostly rock, some pop. I know bright headphones (I used to have the Grado RS1i). I use Spotify 320k, Apple Music, and from time to time Tidal HiFi. Tidal was occasionally better, but very very subtly so compared to the other two - but not twice the price better. Currently on Apple Music for the family plan - my wife and kids want music too.

There are several posters in this thread who claim that the Mojo sounds significantly better and fatter, whilst still being detailed, balanced, etc. The DFR is definitely cleaner and more detailed than the phone alone, but I feel its doing that by sucking out some of the low mids and some bass. I had a similar impression with the DF 1.2 and the Grado, in that it felt more like an EQ trick to pull detail by removing bass and mids, and ultimately it was so fatiguing I returned the 1.2.

I'm on the fence. Sometimes I love the DFR a lot, but other times it is fatiguing. Honestly, the difference between direct to the iPhone 7+ ouput vs through the DFR, ignoring the fatigue and tone shift, is so small that I wonder whether it's worth carrying the DFR and CCK3 about at all. It's not the OMG that's amazing experience that I had when using the Angies for the first time. I'm curious about the Mojo now, but it's a bit pricey.

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #2,422 of 5,065

I'm using JH Angies. Mostly rock, some pop. I know bright headphones (I used to have the Grado RS1i). I use Spotify 320k, Apple Music, and from time to time Tidal HiFi. Tidal was occasionally better, but very very subtly so compared to the other two - but not twice the price better. Currently on Apple Music for the family plan - my wife and kids want music too.

There are several posters in this thread who claim that the Mojo sounds significantly better and fatter, whilst still being detailed, balanced, etc. The DFR is definitely cleaner and more detailed than the phone alone, but I feel its doing that by sucking out some of the low mids and some bass. I had a similar impression with the DF 1.2 and the Grado, in that it felt more like an EQ trick to pull detail by removing bass and mids, and ultimately it was so fatiguing I returned the 1.2.

I'm on the fence. Sometimes I love the DFR a lot, but other times it is fatiguing. Honestly, the difference between direct to the iPhone 7+ ouput vs through the DFR, ignoring the fatigue and tone shift, is so small that I wonder whether it's worth carrying the DFR and CCK3 about at all. It's not the OMG that's amazing experience that I had when using the Angies for the first time. I'm curious about the Mojo now, but it's a bit pricey.

Hi,
I have both DFR (bought it a few weeks before the latter) and Mojo that I'm using mostly with my iPhone 7.
I also feel that the Mojo does sound fuller, more detailed, more natural, way more powerful and less fatiguing than the DFR.
Despite the high price, I'm really happy I purchased the Mojo.
It is of course much less practical than the DFR on the go, but the pleasure it brings to my ears makes me forget this downside.

I'm keeping the DFR nonetheless as it can be very practical when travelling.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,423 of 5,065
I used it with a bunch, focal utopia, sennheiser hd800, noble savant, noble Django, sennheiser ie800 and recently added Noble kaiser encore. With the exception of the the ie800 the others sounded thin, the ie800 still lacked bass and had less demention to vocals with an annoying hiss from the sensitive extended treble. Had no issues with volume just with sound quality but for its price I'm sure it's good just not comparing to the mojo that the original person was thinking of switching from. It's definitely a noticibly step down in all aspects besides portability their the dfr is better.

You've now got me thinking about a Mojo. Listed my DFR in the classifieds forum now to help fund one. #badinfluence :)

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #2,424 of 5,065
The Red is a Sabre chip amp, it's obviously no match for the custom FPGA design of the Mojo.

But these little ICs are impressive. Connected to my iPad Pro they drive the TH900, including bass, to a reasonable level of quality. Haven't gotten around with trying them with the Utopia.

I also have the Meridian Explorer 2 I'm trying to make work with a split USB cable + battery pack. I really want to compare the two on my iPad.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #2,425 of 5,065
The Red is a Sabre chip amp, it's obviously no match for the custom FPGA design of the Mojo.

But these little ICs are impressive. Connected to my iPad Pro they drive the TH900, including bass, to a reasonable level of quality. Haven't gotten around with trying them with the Utopia.

I also have the Meridian Explorer 2 I'm trying to make work with a split USB cable + battery pack. I really want to compare the two on my iPad.

I'd be interested in hearing if that works well, explorer 2 is suppose to be pretty good and mqa.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2,426 of 5,065

My Black on the other hand is super loud. Using exclusive mode on my players, the volume hardly comes near the quarter mark before my ears hurt. That said, loving the sound though. Just had to be real careful with the volume setting. 

Now, this (the quoted post, within the quote above, telling about the Dragonfly Red's (allegedly) comparatively weak output (to Black) got omitted here)
really seems to be a reccurring issue with these two models, and in my book, despite the superior sound quality of the Red (capable of rendering the complex passages in music better than the Black, according to the online reviews)
it would be really strange if the difference in the achievable volume in the cans (in favor of the Black) was proven correct, having in mind double the price for the Red.

It would be nice if someone could confirm this in direct comparison between the two units.
I will have to go to the local store myself and compare these two on my own...

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #2,427 of 5,065
  The insides of my DFB have become lose so that the headphone jack now wiggles.  I haven't dropped or mistreated it; it just started happening after a month or so of infrequent use.

Has anyone found a way to fix this?  Is it something that would be covered under warranty?

Thanks,

Mark

I had sent my DFB back for warranty repair due to the motherboard rattling around loose inside the case, and today I received the new one in the mail.  Though it's seems to be brand new in a new box, It has the same darn problem!  At least my first one was solid for several months, so somehow I don't think this is "normal".

Is this a common problem, where the motherboard (with the connecting USB plug and headphone jack) is loose inside the case, rattling around when you shake it?

I really don't want to spend another $10 in shipping to return it, going for a few weeks without it, and hoping the next one is of quality.

Yeah, I know it's a minor issue, but the quality is disappointing.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #2,428 of 5,065
Now, this (the quoted post, within the quote above, telling about the Dragonfly Red's (allegedly) comparatively weak output (to Black) got omitted here)
really seems to be a reccurring issue with these two models, and in my book, despite the superior sound quality of the Red (capable of rendering the complex passages in music better than the Black, according to the online reviews)
it would be really strange if the difference in the achievable volume in the cans (in favor of the Black) was proven correct, having in mind double the price for the Red.

It would be nice if someone could confirm this in direct comparison between the two units.
I will have to go to the local store myself and compare these two on my own...

I perceived this at first because the volume rises faster and not evenly on the black connected to my iPhone while the red takes even steps up in volume. I found at about 50% volume the black didn't really increase in volume any more just started to distort while the red continue to increase in volume to about 80% before distorting and to me both were similar volumes at that point just different volume levels. So I think it's more perceived louder since volume increases faster and levels off instead of even steps. But I can no longer retry so I no longer own them. I know my local shop has demos of both, but I'm not currently home.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #2,429 of 5,065

I had sent my DFB back for warranty repair due to the motherboard rattling around loose inside the case, and today I received the new one in the mail.  Though it's seems to be brand new in a new box, It has the same darn problem!  At least my first one was solid for several months, so somehow I don't think this is "normal".

Is this a common problem, where the motherboard (with the connecting USB plug and headphone jack) is loose inside the case, rattling around when you shake it?

I really don't want to spend another $10 in shipping to return it, going for a few weeks without it, and hoping the next week is quality.

Yeah, I know it's a minor issue, but the quality is disappointing.

I've heard it mentioned a bunch of times in this thread, so it is definitely not an isolated issue, I am afraid.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #2,430 of 5,065
I decided to make this video in response to the volume issues people have been posting about. I think these problems are in the minority and feel that these posts might be unfairly driving away people who are interested in a gadget I enjoy using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back