New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Sep 28, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #1,816 of 5,077

This adapter is also said to be necessary to avoid clicking noises.

Are you kidding? This simply Looks HORRIBLE!

The USB-3 CCK is only necessary for a small number of units.  I have one, but my other 3 iDevices work fine with the standard CCK.  Also you don't need to keep the power cable attached.  With the extra port, the USB-3 is obviously bigger and the dongle cable is stiffer (so it doesn't fit in my pouch, which is annoying). 

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #1,817 of 5,077
  Does anyone have RMAA measurment of DF Red/Black ??

Unless they're published by someone who has a proven history in measuring gear, I'll be ignoring any RMAA measurements.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/rightmark-audio-analyzer-rmaa.html

I dont worship nwavguy in the same manner as many here, and that critique might seem dated, but when you look at the effort people like Tyll put into their measurements its clear that RMAA just doesnt cut it.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #1,818 of 5,077
Further to my last, if John Atkinson can have his measurements questioned by Audioquest, where does that leave a 22-year old with a PC soundcard and RMAA ?

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-red-black-usb-da-headphone-amplifiers-measurements#eH2BdJPgTDl7wP5d.97

I measured the AudioQuest DragonFly Red and Black with my Audio Precision SYS2722 system

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-red-black-usb-da-headphone-amplifiers-manufacturers-comment#08sLkJYzWlZpISoj.97

Gordon's tests were performed using a Prism Sound dScope Series III measurement system.

The audiophile way seems to be to agree with measurements when they conform to our subjective impressions and disagree when they don't, making JA's job a thankless one, but I'll take those numbers over RMAA any day of the week. I'm all for independent measurements, but the iFi iPower fiasco highlights just how quickly some amateurs are prepared to denigrate a product based on the numbers they believe they've accurately measured. I dont know why iFi didnt sue the individual in question, but more power to them if they can roll with the punches.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,819 of 5,077
I have been enjoying the Dragonfly Black v1.5 the last few weeks with my iPhone 6 and Westone IEMs, but had a weird experience yesterday. Listening to Wilco's new album, Schmilco, on my commute home from work, about midway through I thought, "I don't remember there being so many instrumentals on this record," after hearing three vocal-less tracks in a row.

Backing up to the first two tracks, the vocals were gone from them, too. And for most other tracks I played from my downloaded songs. Unplugged the Dragonfly and plugged in some Apple earpods directly into the phone (my Westones and iPhone don't play nice each other when plugged directly) and the vocals were back. Plugged the Dragonfly back in, vocals were gone again. It seems the DAC was inverting the polarity of one of the stereo channels such that the centred audio was eliminated.

The DAC was back to normal the next morning and I have been unable to replicate the issue since.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #1,822 of 5,077
Hello mate , i have a quest
at first sorry for my english
i have sell yesterday my onkyo dp-x1 , becouse i want a buy a phone for drive my music outside the home ..
i have the dragonfly red and senneihser hd600 and i use tidal for streaming music ..
what is best phone ?iphone  6s  or lg v10 ? or?
now i have one samsung s7 edge but i need use usb audio player pro , whitout this app , direct on my tidal hifi account dont work .. i try on my ipad air but the sound is only decent ...
any idea ? one phone android base work direct whit tidal on dragonfly red ?

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #1,826 of 5,077
Has anyone tried to use ZX2 as a transport with the Red? Was volume too low without using UAPP as with other Android devices? UAPP is not compatible with ZX2 because of outdated OS. I know it seems like an overkill but I'm just curious.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #1,827 of 5,077
Got my Black in today. It sounds good. But it pops. A lot. listening to songs that start out quiet have occasional annoying popping. This does not occur with the included lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

Not sure if it's s software thing, bad lightning to USB, or bad Dragonfly. But it's a real bummer.

Sep 29, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,828 of 5,077
  Got my Black in today. It sounds good. But it pops. A lot. listening to songs that start out quiet have occasional annoying popping. This does not occur with the included lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

Not sure if it's s software thing, bad lightning to USB, or bad Dragonfly. But it's a real bummer.

You may have the problem I had.  Can you try it with a second iDevice and see if you hear the popping there as well?

Sep 29, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #1,829 of 5,077
  Hello mate , i have a quest
at first sorry for my english
i have sell yesterday my onkyo dp-x1 , becouse i want a buy a phone for drive my music outside the home ..
i have the dragonfly red and senneihser hd600 and i use tidal for streaming music ..
what is best phone ?iphone  6s  or lg v10 ? or?
now i have one samsung s7 edge but i need use usb audio player pro , whitout this app , direct on my tidal hifi account dont work .. i try on my ipad air but the sound is only decent ...
any idea ? one phone android base work direct whit tidal on dragonfly red ?

Hi,

OK - lets see if we can state this as clearly as possilbe:

1. You cant buy ANY Android phone - current or otherwise - and expect it to drive the Dragonfly,  Ignore the hoopla re 'any version of Android after 5.xx' : the phone needs a sufficiently powerful battery and the manufacturer needs to implement USB audio properly. Of the 3 Android devices in my possession, only one works with the DF Black:

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/lenovo-tab-2-a7-10-7-tablet-sylena7tab

Given that its not a phone and few would be prepared to carry something that large around, you'll be better served with an Apple phone IMO for one simple reason : we know all current iPhone models work with nothing more than the Lightning-USB connector. The major issue seems to be around battery usage, and that's one area where the larger tablet / phablet form factor really shines.

2. I dont know what specific difficulties phone users face accessing TIDAL, but I've had no problems using Roon, Spotify, Youtube and other apps with the DFB. The only application that refuses to recognise it as my default output device is Audacity on my laptop but that's such a tiny fraction of AQ's target market that it really shouldnt concern us. I'm sure someone else here has TIDAL and can give you more info.

Hope this helps.

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #1,830 of 5,077
I wanna get a Red but I can't find anyone with them in San Jose.  And I don't wanna wait. :p

Edit: I could get a Black by tomorrow...not sure if I could tell the difference.  But I'd rather have the best...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back