New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 27, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #901 of 5,077
Interesting - I have a USB OTG cable that allows for the slave device to have its own power - will try this, and see if having the DFR as 'self powered' makes a difference.

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #902 of 5,077
Does this touch upon the area of line and signal conditioning, like iFi's 2.0 or 3.0 usb hubs,
or the or uptone regen, etc? Would not the jitterbug take care of some of this? I'm no tech person so am probably mistaken.

Jun 27, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #903 of 5,077
Does this touch upon the area of line and signal conditioning, like iFi's 2.0 or 3.0 hubs? Would not the jitterbug take care of some of this? I'm no tech person so am probably mistaken.
Quite possibly, I guess I can find out, having the capacity to look at both sides of this.

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #904 of 5,077
Anyone know of a small USB hub that would work for iOS? I have one but it's an awkward shape. Would be nice to find one that could be "stacked" similar to an amp or something. I still have the df 1.2v so I need a hub :frowning2:

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #905 of 5,077
There was a clever USB hub released a few years back, wish I remember what it was called - Dr Wizard, or something like that, where it was self powered, but was able to still allow items that needed 500mw to work on any device...

If I can find it, or remember it's name, I'll post back.

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #906 of 5,077

For my Sony Z3 Tablet (5.1) the Dragonfly worked without without me having to make any changes.

My Nexus 5 (6.0) wouldn't work initially but is working now.  I had to go into Developer options (Google "Android enable developer mode" if you haven't already) and change the "Select USB Configuration" option to be "Audio Source".

Guys this worked perfectly for me and I'm finally able to use my streamed google music from my one plus one, to my matrix mini portable via a USB OTG.

So much win over youtube music as well.

My only ammendment to the above is after you make the system change on your android device, just reboot it and profit!

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #907 of 5,077
There was a clever USB hub released a few years back, wish I remember what it was called - Dr Wizard, or something like that, where it was self powered, but was able to still allow items that needed 500mw to work on any device...

If I can find it, or remember it's name, I'll post back.

this?

https://www.bbcdoctorwhoshop.com/store/canada/doctor-who-eleventh-doctor-s-tardis-4-port-usb-hub

Jun 27, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #910 of 5,077

lmao...thought it was a bit...'weird' for a headfer...
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
haha, no it was actually Dr Bott...

Should be quite a few head-fi posts about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #911 of 5,077
Double post. sorry

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #912 of 5,077
Cyrus have an interesting  rival to the Black, the soundKey. Launches on Kickstarter in the next few days.

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #913 of 5,077
  Cyrus have an interesting  rival to the Black, the soundKey. Launches on Kickstarter in the next few days.

i'm not sure if it does anything different from what the dragonfly does, however.

http://soundkey.cyrusaudio.com/

http://www.whathifi.com/news/cyrus-turns-to-kickstarter-to-fund-development-its-soundkey-dac

http://www.the-ear.net/news/can-cyrus-soundkey-unlock-mobile-market

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #914 of 5,077
FYI I just received a Magni 2 Uber in the mail. I bought the Uber primarily for vinyl and my HE-400i cans. However out of curiosity I tried running the DF Red as a DAC from my iPhone into the uber. It sounds amazing and the Uber definately can drive the 400i cans louder. The DF works well at 100% volume as a DAC into the Magni.

It is a very good combo, but I gotta say Vinyl is on a whole other level.

Love it.

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #915 of 5,077
FYI I just received a Magni 2 Uber in the mail. I bought the Uber primarily for vinyl and my HE-400i cans. However out of curiosity I tried running the DF Red as a DAC from my iPhone into the uber. It sounds amazing and the Uber definately can drive the 400i cans louder. The DF works well at 100% volume as a DAC into the Magni.

It is a very good combo, but I gotta say Vinyl is on a whole other level.

Love it.

Happy to hear this!

My plan is to just get the DF Red and pair it with my iPhone 6S and a set of Sennheiser HD600 or HD650.

However, if I find that the cans need a bit more juice, then I can add a Magni 2 to the mix.
iPhone 6S > DFR > Magni 2 isn't as portable a set-up as I'd like, but I could deal with it if it would make a significant difference in getting better sound out of the HD600/650.

As the HD600/650 are open-back, I don't ever plan on going portable outside of the home, but I do need the ability to move around the house and change rooms on short notice.  The fact that I can just use my iPhone (as opposed to having to use my laptop) makes this much easier.  The only pain-in-the-ass would be having to lug the Magni 2 along with me and plug it in whatever room I'm in.

This is still easier than having to lug both a Mangi and a Modi 
bigsmile_face.gif

Very happy to hear that you're getting great sound with this set-up!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back