New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 7, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #558 of 5,077
I was messing around with the settings on the Roon player, and I stumbled across the following in regards to playback:

---
Resync Delay
This setting is primarily used when an S/PDIF, AES, or I2S connection is involved. Oftentimes, a DAC will take a little bit of time to lock onto a new audio signal--sometimes as long as a few seconds. 
This setting causes Roon to play a configurable duration of silence whenever it begins a new stream. Like the last setting, this one is a problem solver. If you find that the beginnings of songs are being cut off, or you're getting a lot of clicks and pops while your DAC locks on to an S/PDIF signal at the start of playback, try increasing this setting. 500ms is a good starting point. If that doesn't work, try gradually increasing it from there.
We default this to a very small value because it produces delays in Roon's user experience. Consider that when setting it up--unless you have an uncommonly slow DAC, settings longer than 1-2 seconds are probably not necessary.
---

I know it may not be apples to apples to some of the other clicks and pops people are experiencing, but thought I'd pass it along in case it sparks an idea on a setting you're using w/ your players (and want to know how to adjust).

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #561 of 5,077
  Has anyone identified a better quality USB OTG cable for use with black or red (i'm keen on one with an L shaped phone plug end, that isn't cheap ebay junk)

I bought 2 of these(just in case of DOA) a few weeks ago and they just arrived today.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10PCS-Left-Right-90-degree-Angled-Right-angled-90-degree-Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-for/1033848084.html

They are very robust cables. The micro-USB connectors are solid, and they work flawlessly. Surprisingly the cheap Chinese ones have an almost identical build to this longer, more expensive Amazon one.

http://www.amazon.com/BobjGear-Highest-Quality-Degree-Profile/dp/B00AWL6G8W?ie=UTF8&qid=1465351478&ref_=sr_1_57&sr=8-57&srs=4652376011

The USB-female end of both cables have the same depth, which isn't that deep, and leaves a half-inch gap between the body of the Dragonfly and the body of the USB connector when fully inserted. One thing of note is the BobjGear cable holds the Dragonfly very loosely. I've pulled the Dragonfly out of the BobjGear cable by trying to remove my headphones from the headphone out. On the other hand, I could probably swing the Chinese ones around like nunchakus and they wouldn't disconnect.

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #562 of 5,077
i'm just getting in to music software mgmt for my laptop....seems to be a growing field, for sure.
roon seem more expensve than the competition, but they say that they're  doing things differently, too.,
...that i'm still trying to understand its approach...and if it'd be too much or sufficient for my meagre needs:
500 itunes....spotify and tidal for streaming

Quote:
  I was messing around with the settings on the Roon player, and I stumbled across the following in regards to playback:

---
Resync Delay
This setting is primarily used when an S/PDIF, AES, or I2S connection is involved. Oftentimes, a DAC will take a little bit of time to lock onto a new audio signal--sometimes as long as a few seconds. 
This setting causes Roon to play a configurable duration of silence whenever it begins a new stream. Like the last setting, this one is a problem solver. If you find that the beginnings of songs are being cut off, or you're getting a lot of clicks and pops while your DAC locks on to an S/PDIF signal at the start of playback, try increasing this setting. 500ms is a good starting point. If that doesn't work, try gradually increasing it from there.
We default this to a very small value because it produces delays in Roon's user experience. Consider that when setting it up--unless you have an uncommonly slow DAC, settings longer than 1-2 seconds are probably not necessary.
---

I know it may not be apples to apples to some of the other clicks and pops people are experiencing, but thought I'd pass it along in case it sparks an idea on a setting you're using w/ your players (and want to know how to adjust).

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #563 of 5,077
Canali -- hard to know for sure. Did you buy your Dragonfly brand new? If yes, there's included a voucher for a 60-day trial for Roon...and that's the best way to see if you like it.

I personally don't have any major problems with the iTunes native player. But a few things prompted me to try Roon:

1. The in-depth review Darko did on it (I would link to it, but the site appears to be wonky now)
  2. The free trial voucher (not sure if I would have tried it otherwise)
  3. I can't say for certain, but it appears that iTunes does not support sample rates above 44? (at least my Dragonfly never changes colors on iTunes songs, whereas it does on Roon)...if that matters to you
  4. Roon DOES support all file types, including FLAC -- it's not an enormous hassle, but you'd otherwise have to convert all your FLAC files to ALAC to live in iTunes
  5. After listening to the same song on both, I can say that my ears feel that songs on Roon sound even better

Now, will I stick with Roon after my trial ends? Hard to say. I also want to trial Audirvana+ and then make a decision.

If you only have 500 songs that will live locally, I'm not sure it's worth purchasing...but you should definitely opt for the trials and see!

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #564 of 5,077
  Canali -- hard to know for sure. Did you buy your Dragonfly brand new? If yes, there's included a voucher for a 60-day trial for Roon...and that's the best way to see if you like it.

I personally don't have any major problems with the iTunes native player. But a few things prompted me to try Roon:

1. The in-depth review Darko did on it (I would link to it, but the site appears to be wonky now)
  2. The free trial voucher (not sure if I would have tried it otherwise)
  3. I can't say for certain, but it appears that iTunes does not support sample rates above 44? (at least my Dragonfly never changes colors on iTunes songs, whereas it does on Roon)...if that matters to you
  4. Roon DOES support all file types, including FLAC -- it's not an enormous hassle, but you'd otherwise have to convert all your FLAC files to ALAC to live in iTunes
  5. After listening to the same song on both, I can say that my ears feel that songs on Roon sound even better

Now, will I stick with Roon after my trial ends? Hard to say. I also want to trial Audirvana+ and then make a decision.

If you only have 500 songs that will live locally, I'm not sure it's worth purchasing...but you should definitely opt for the trials and see!

thanks brent75:
yes i have that 60 day free promo...thanks will trial it.

and seeing the dragonfly change its colours will be worth the price of admission :wink:

i think in a yr or so this whole field will really grow as we listen more and more through our desktop/laptop setups.

this little red is a robust unit...i can only handle 8-12% max volume before it comes uncomfortable...like many i prefer
moderate volumes to still hear detail, tap my toes and yet also be able to keep my hearing long term.
and yes i have maxed the volume controls of both spotify and tidal or itunes accordingly to audioquest's setup instructions.

btw brent75 you might like this interview with john franks of chord (yes i know it's not DF related)
...talks about how they developed their own chips and 
the various models (hugo, mojo, and dave) ..and most pertinent to what we discussed on storage capacities of our rigs:
http://www.stereolifemagazine.com/interviews/item/1165-john-franks-chord-electronics

excerpt:
On the web there's been a large amount of press and people saying it's (mojo) a DAP, but you see I don't believe that DAPs have got a really long life because everyone carries a phone. Personally I like DAPs, I like the way they play, but if we apply the Moore's Law again, the amount of memory and computing power we have in our phones now will be nothing compared to what we will have in five years time. It's going to be massive, we are going to use our phones for things we wouldn't dare try today. Like listening to hi-res music for instance. So if you have a really great DAC now, you can use your phone as a source already. I have 128 GB on my phone now, so the next one after that will probably have 512 GB or 1 TB. Combine it with the network speeds you get, and listening to hi-res music is fairly simple.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #565 of 5,077
I saw that quip in the interview you posted on the Mojo thread -- and saw that you finally bit the bullet and ordered one too. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts and comparisons once you've spent some time with it.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #566 of 5,077
  I saw that quip in the interview you posted on the Mojo thread -- and saw that you finally bit the bullet and ordered one too. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts and comparisons once you've spent some time with it.

yeah trying to find a guy in canada (my country) to buy one from.

i've been told by a few mojo fans to listen to the device for at least 2 weeks solid...then go back 
and listen to another device, to best truly appreciate it's abilities...so we'll see.
even if it doesn't pan out the resale on it is good.

i'm considering selling my iFi micro iDSD gig to fund it...or swap.
more and more i'm seeking a nice simple setup that is good for both home and on the road
...and given idon't have very hard headphones to push, the mojo may be the ticket.

might also keep the df red as backup...love that little gizmo....considering adding a dragontail and jitterbug to it.

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #568 of 5,077
Probably a long shot, but are the new dragonflys iOS compatible? I have the v1.2 but it triggers the "draws too much power" message
frown.gif

Yes these where specifically designed to work with mobile ( iOS and most Android ) devices. You won't see that message with either the Red or Black. 

Check their site for info: http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #569 of 5,077
Yes these where specifically designed to work with mobile ( iOS and most Android ) devices. You won't see that message with either the Red or Black. 

Check their site for info: http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/

Wow that's great news! I was planning to pick up an xduoo x3 but I might get one of these instead. Just to be sure, the new dragonfly black is superior to the v1.2 right?

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #570 of 5,077
I shared this in the S7 thread, but thought I would post here. Couldn't be happier with my S7, DF Red, UAPP and Tidal. I added some velcro and a very slim OTG cable and this portable setup is freakin' fantastic. 

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back