New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 19, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #4,382 of 5,077
All right, I do it tonight / tomorrow (Italian time zone). I hope I do not violate any rules of the regulation

Que, I'll go ahead and start. Just get all your thoughts and photos ready, and then visit the link below.

Ok done. If anyone wants to compare the Sabaj amp/DACs to AQ, they can still do that here, but for just specific Sabaj talk, go ahead and post in this new thread I just created for it. This thread is meant for ALL PORTABLE SABAJ AMP/DAC DEVICES, not just the DA3.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #4,383 of 5,077
Does the recommended lghtning to usb3 camera adaptor really sound better than the older one without the charging port? Or does the AQ company recommends that one just to avoid possible complaints regarding the pops and clicks?

Because I'd really prefer to use the one without the charging port if the sound quality is identical...

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #4,384 of 5,077
Does the recommended lghtning to usb3 camera adaptor really sound better than the older one without the charging port? Or does the AQ company recommends that one just to avoid possible complaints regarding the pops and clicks?

Because I'd really prefer to use the one without the charging port if the sound quality is identical...

I had a camera adapter, and then bought this;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/dyp...af2a31b&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

I am quite happy with it. It works pretty nice with my iphone (ios 11.3).

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #4,385 of 5,077

The two sound the same to me on both an iPhone 6s+ and X with iOS 11. I think their recommendation was, as you mentioned, to solve the pops and clicks problem. On the iPhone X with the older adapter I no longer have pops and clicks (I did with the older adapter and the 6s+ with iOS 11). However, others in the thread with an iPhone X DO still have pops and clicks with the older adapter. So there's no clear answer, moreso depending on which model phone and version of iOS you're using. But no, to my ears there is no difference in sound quality between the two, and that's with using ALL the headphones and IEMs in my signature.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #4,386 of 5,077
I had a camera adapter, and then bought this;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/dyp...af2a31b&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

I am quite happy with it. It works pretty nice with my iphone (ios 11.3).

The two sound the same to me on both an iPhone 6s+ and X with iOS 11. I think their recommendation was, as you mentioned, to solve the pops and clicks problem. On the iPhone X with the older adapter I no longer have pops and clicks (I did with the older adapter and the 6s+ with iOS 11). However, others in the thread with an iPhone X DO still have pops and clicks with the older adapter. So there's no clear answer, moreso depending on which model phone and version of iOS you're using. But no, to my ears there is no difference in sound quality between the two, and that's with using ALL the headphones and IEMs in my signature.

Thank you very much for the replies. I bought the CCK today. I'll try that and if it is problematic, then I'll either go Researcher's way or settle for the CCK3, knowing that the difference is negligible.

May 3, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #4,391 of 5,077
Hello everybody

i have Q i have akg k712pro and i am seeking dac/amp combo for them. Currently i am using this https://www.amazon.com/AUDIOTRAK-Pr...8&qid=1525388403&sr=8-1&keywords=prodigy+cube with opamp muse 8820 ,
and my q is : is dragonfly red good pair for my headphones and will it be able to drive them properly also how does it compare to ifi nano idsd Le and ifi nano black edition ?,
most important part for me is sound quality i use it on my desktop setup nothing on move ,and i do not like to listen music loud ,and if it is important i can hear from 18 hz up to 20khz+ range but i dont think it is relevant to subject

May 3, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #4,392 of 5,077
I just ordered the red. Anyone have thoughts on the difference in sound quality when using an iPhone versus using it on a computer? I’ve heard some reports of it sounding way better on a full computer or laptop than on an iPhone. I will be using it mostly with my phone so I am curious. Is it an improvement over the headphone out dongle on an iPhone 7 Plus? I’m sure it will be. I have a mojo and ha2se but I find neither are actually portable... I end up using the headphone out on the iPhone a lot since it’s so much easier and there’s not cables sticking out on both ends etc. I’m thinking the red will be nice and portable and allow me to always use something decent when I’m in a portable scenario like walking or hiking. Love the way the mojo sounds and bought it with the intention of using it portably, but that never happens as it’s just too much to carry and deal with. My hope is that the red will solve my portable problem. Are people having issues with popping and clicking with iPhones? Mine is currently a 7plus. I have the older style cck also.

May 3, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #4,393 of 5,077
I just ordered the red. Anyone have thoughts on the difference in sound quality when using an iPhone versus using it on a computer? I’ve heard some reports of it sounding way better on a full computer or laptop than on an iPhone. I will be using it mostly with my phone so I am curious. Is it an improvement over the headphone out dongle on an iPhone 7 Plus? I’m sure it will be. I have a mojo and ha2se but I find neither are actually portable... I end up using the headphone out on the iPhone a lot since it’s so much easier and there’s not cables sticking out on both ends etc. I’m thinking the red will be nice and portable and allow me to always use something decent when I’m in a portable scenario like walking or hiking. Love the way the mojo sounds and bought it with the intention of using it portably, but that never happens as it’s just too much to carry and deal with. My hope is that the red will solve my portable problem. Are people having issues with popping and clicking with iPhones? Mine is currently a 7plus. I have the older style cck also.

i have opposite experience. to me connecting to my laptop sound like it has a bit of background noise compared to the blacker background when connecting to my S7edge

May 3, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #4,394 of 5,077

I find it sounds better on my MacBook Pro than with my iPhone, especially with the Jitterbug.

As for the iPhone, generally it does sound better with the DFR but YMMV depending on the earphone. For example, for me:

ER4XR and Campfire Comets - sounds better without DFR imo.
GR07 and RE-400 - sounds much better with DFR
Sennheiser Momentum IEM - sound better with DFR and Jitterbug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back