1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by brent75, Apr 21, 2016.
First

Back
282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291
293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302
Next

Last
  1. CactusPete23
    Is this still the Dragonfly Thread ?

2. RockStar2005
    Yes? lol

Researcher likes this.
  3. Researcher
    do not get me wrong, can i learn what it is? lol

Quequacio96 and RockStar2005 like this.
  4. andrewski
    My guess is Audioquest will unveil new dragonflies at CES 2020, and the DFR will still be a marvel

RockStar2005 and Quequacio96 like this.
  5. Quequacio96
    I read on another forum that should work with one plus 3 ... But it consumes a little bit. It is supplied only with a type-c to male usb cable. You would need a y-cable, where you can connect a power bank to power the type-c of the DA3 and instead only otg from the cell phone to the DA3.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  6. RockStar2005
    Yeah. The DFR I've read also consumes a good amount of battery life (more than the Black too), so I mean, I guess if you want more quality, you will have to sacrifice more battery life. But again, if it's an issue, you've got the battery pack option and also with QC 3.0 and 4.0 coming out soon supposedly, recharging will be a snap! To have that better quality though I say is WELL worth the occasional trip to my wall charger. lol

If we are to continue speaking about Sabaj though, unless it's in comparison to the DFB or DFR, we probably SHOULD start a new thread. Up to you guys.

Quequacio96 likes this.
  7. VRacer-111
    From what I've read, the DFR is the more efficient one with less power draw.

Quequacio96 and RockStar2005 like this.
  8. RockStar2005
    Really?? It was a year or so ago, but the one or two I read said the opposite. Anyone know for sure?

I would think the "more powerful" one would also be the one that drew the most power, but efficiency can make a lot of difference too.

Quequacio96 likes this.
  9. Researcher
    Yes, DFR is still a Marvel, but What about DFB (reminder for 99 usd)? DFB is not better than DA2 for 69 usd. Moreover, gap between DFR and the other usb dac is closing. DFR and DFB need es9018 and es9038q2m, respectively, with `hiss free design` right now, if AQ wants to sustain its business in a good way.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  10. RockStar2005
    Yeah, I agree. Though the advancements from each new Sabre DAC & amp are minimal at best, over a couple generations, things start to add up. Better noise filtering & instrument separation, widening of the soundstage, better power efficiency, etc..............AQ needs to compete. That doesn't mean they should release a new set of DragonFly amp/DACs every year, but definitely every 2-3 years for sure. The fact that AQ doesn't appear to have any plans to release a new DF this year is not a good sign for them. The DFR and DFB are now officially 2 years old as of March (DFR) and April (DFB) of this year, so if not this year, then they are pushing into the 3 year mark. And even then they may just rely on firmware updates and think that will keep people around. But it won't. Not with devices like the ones Sabaj is making.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Researcher likes this.
  11. big45-70
    I'm quite happy with my DFB and find it actually drives low resistance (he400i) planars extremely well. I prefer it because it keeps my volume controls on my keyboard while gaming. I can't see myself upgrading anytime soon.

12. PeteMtl
    I’m pretty sure most of us (me included) could not hear the difference between the the DFR with the ES9016 and any successor using the ES9018 or ES9038 DACs. The ES9016 is already a champion in its sound qualities, and combines a nice digital volume and amp. It also consumes not a lot of battery power. However any improvements will be in the form of better power management (to diminish the power requirements and battery usage when used with tablets of phones) and additional compatibility with higher end digital formats (DSD and sampling rates over 96mhz). Note that these two grounds of improvements are conflictual, since compatibility with higher end codecs will require more power, offsetting any gains in power management. But in real world when using 16 or 24 bit 44.1khz music files (which account for 99% or so of all digital music available in this world), I don’t expect any significant improvements in the sound quality of the future device taking the place of the DFR in Audioquest’s offering. Just my 2 cents of comment, for what it is worth... Direct lightning (iOS) compatibility would bring a good improvement I must admit, getting rid of the use of adapters.

andrewski and RockStar2005 like this.
  13. RockStar2005
    As I'd said, I think any improvement that is noticed would be minimal. So for the most part I agree. But the key item here is "more for less". If the competition is selling a product that's even marginally superior at a lesser price, then that is something that will get people talking. But yes, upgrades would be nice too. I'd prefer it too if AQ released versions of the DFB and DFR that had a mobile connector to it (aka, not USB lol). Like perhaps have an Apple version with a Lightning connector or Direct lightning (not sure what the difference is there since I own Android), and a MicroUSB-C version for Android. Then you wouldn't need the adapter for either one. But still of course sell a USB version for computer use as well. Though on the flip side of that, I kind of like the idea of an adapter ONLY b/c I feel like the setup would be easier to carry around and use if the there is some "slack" b/t the DFB/DFR and your phone. It makes the device seem more like an in-line remote that way. So I guess I'm kinda divided. lol

Researcher likes this.
  14. Quequacio96
    Hi guys, the DA3 arrived, unfortunately I'm in university until tonight. By tomorrow I would like to put some photos and some impressions. Is there a suitable thread in the forum? I would not do too much OT

RockStar2005 likes this.
  15. CactusPete23
    Why not start a DA3 Thread?

RockStar2005 and Quequacio96 like this.
First

Back
282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291
293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302
Next

Last