New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by brent75, Apr 21, 2016.
  1. VRacer-111
    To put it in headphone terms, the difference between the DFB and DFR to me is like the difference between an ATH-M50X and TH-X00PH...

HerrWallen likes this.
  2. Hariz Nordin
    Hi guys, how do we charge our android phone while we are using the dragonfly through the USB otg cable?

3. Devodonaldson
    Either you have a device with another form of charging (wireless i.e. Samsung, LG, etc., Or ala Sony Z3 s magnetic charging port), or you simply don't charge while using an external DAC

4. bmcelvan
  5. CactusPete23
    Could try using a usb hub ?

andrewski likes this.
  6. Hariz Nordin
    Thanks bro

7. Hariz Nordin
  8. Hariz Nordin
    i read that got this new type of usb, usb hub with power delivery...

9. emusic13
    Is there a transport/ dap thats smaller than the Shanling M1 for the Dragonfly?

10. seanc6441
    Ipod Nano 6th gen with apple cck cable? Dunno for sure if it would work but I think the nano is smaller than the M1

11. Devodonaldson
    Nano doesn't work

12. DivaFonda
    I was all set to buy the Red in-store from Best Buy/Magnolia but the only Red they had appeared used and returned so I bought the Black. I can see what you mean to some degree but I'm not getting the issues you mentioned before exactly. The bass issues occur when using already warm or bassy headphones with this warm DFB. I think DFB would be better with bright headphones. I'll probably end up buying Red eventually but so far I'm not that put off by the DFB. It just needs some treble to even it out.

I now see that the Nano iDSD Black Label is available for the same price as the DFR and I think that one would be more powerful. Just not as small and cute.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  13. SteveOliver
    Nano BL has two main advantages for me, more power, it drives higher impedance headphones better and second a real volume control. The number of times I've plugged IEM's into the DFR and been blasted by very high volume, its the main reason why I don't use mine much.

The volume control on the Nano could also be a weakness for some too, it tends to adjust itself when used on the go. Its best to lock it in some way, I use a rubber band to hold it in place.

DivaFonda likes this.
  14. DivaFonda
    Thanks for the thoughts on the Nano. That's my main issue with the price of the DFR. Many other DAC/Amps can be found with more powerful features for the same or lower price. I have one that was only around $100 and has gain, volume, bass and treble controls. I was all set to try DFR because of the confidence of the reviews on here though. However, DFB at half the price isn't as bad as I thought.

15. Devodonaldson
    You're also paying for form form factor as well. A 2.1v, 24/96 DAC with high detail, also an MQA renderer in the form of a flash drive.

Cheffy and VRacer-111 like this.