New Dog Breeds Weird??
Jun 17, 2009 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DocHamm

500+ Head-Fier
I've been pondering this question for some time and wondered if anyone else out there thinks maybe cross-breeding has gone a step too far??

First I heard of labradoodles, then pugles, chugles ... and well ...

Poodle Hybrid Dog Breeds:
  • Aussiedoodle - Australian Shepherd/Poodle
  • Beagapoo - Beagle/Poodle
  • Bich-Poo - Bichon/Poodle
  • Boxerdoodle - Boxer/Poodle
  • Cairnoodle - Cairn Terrier/Poodle
  • Cavapoo - Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/Poodle
  • Chi-Poo - Chihuahua/Poodle
  • Cockapoo - Cocker Spaniel/Poodle
  • Doodleman Pinscher - Doberman/Standard Poodle
  • Doxipoo - Dachshund/Poodle
  • English Boodle - English Bulldog/Poodle
  • Eskapoo - American Eskimo Dog/Poodle
  • Goldendoodle - Golden Retriever/Poodle
  • Labradoodle - Labrador Retriever/Poodle
  • Lhasapoo - Lhasa Apso/Poodle
  • Malti-Poo - Maltese/Poodle
  • Papoo - Papillion/Poodle
  • Pekepoo - Pekingese/Poodle
  • Pomapoo - Pomeranian/Poodle
  • Poochon - Bichon Frise/Poodle
  • Pugapoo - Pug/Poodle
  • Saint Berdoodle - Saint Bernard/Poodle
  • Schnoodle - Schnauzer/Poodle
  • Scoodle - Scottish Terrier/Poodle
  • Shepadoodle - German Shepherd/Standard Poodle
  • Shih-Poo - Shih-Tzu/Poodle
  • Weimardoodle - Weimaraner/Poodle
  • Westiepoo - West Highland White Terrier/Poodle
  • Whoodles - Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier/Poodle
  • Yorkipoo - Yorkie/Poodle
Other Hybrid Dog Breeds:
  • Bagle Hound - Basset Hound/Beagle
  • Boglen Terrier - Beagle/Boston Terrier
  • Beaglier - Beagle/Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
  • Brat - Boston Terrier/Rat Terrier
  • Cavachon - Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/Bichon Frise
  • Chiweenie - Chihuahua/Dachshund
  • Chug - Chihuahua/Pug
  • Cockalier - Cocker Spaniel/Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
  • Cocabichon - Cocker Spaniel/Bichon Frise
  • Goldador - Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever
  • Jack Chi - Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua
  • Jackabee - Jack Russell Terrier/Beagle
  • Mal-Shi - Maltese/Shih Tzu
  • Malti-Pom - Maltese/Pomeranian
  • Morkie (Malkie) - Maltese/Yorkshire Terrier
  • Pomchi - Pomeranian/Chihuahua
  • Peek -A-Pom - Pekingese/Pomeranian
  • Puggle - Pug/Beagle
  • Silkchon - Bichon Frise/Silky Terrier
  • Yorkie Apso - Yorkshire Terrier/Lhasa Apso
  • Yorktese - Yorkshire Terrier/Maltese
  • Zuchon - Shih Tzu/Bichon Frise
Now I'm all for saving animals, having pets (within reason) and genetic research, but let's face it, these aren't about any of that, they're about money. If we're seriuosly going to go into such cross-breeding, wouldnt' it be more prudent to make them, well, more useful and to the point? How about ...

The following breeds are now recognized by the AKC:
  • Collie + Lhasa Apso = Collapso, a dog that folds up for easy transport
  • Spitz + Chow Chow = Spitz-Chow, a dog that throws up a lot
  • Pointer + Setter = Poinsetter, a traditional Christmas pet
  • Great Pyrenees + Dachshund = Pyradachs, a puzzling breed
  • Pekingnese + Lhasa Apso =Peekasso, an abstract dog
  • Irish Water Spaniel + English Springer Spaniel =Irish Springer, a dog fresh and clean as a whistle
  • Labrador Retriever + Curly Coated Retriever = Lab Coat Retriever, the choice of research scientists
  • Newfoundland + Basset Hound = Newfound Asset Hound, a dog for financial advisors
  • Terrier + Bulldog = Terribull, a dog that makes awful mistakes
  • Bloodhound + Labrador = Blabador, a dog that barks incessantly
  • Malamute + Pointer = Moot Point, owned by....oh, well, it doesn't matter anyway Collie + Malamute = Commute, a dog that travels to work
Now my neighbor ... nice woman ... got remarried and now they have five children, three adults, two dogs and a cat living in a thousand sq/ft home with no income. A couple weeks ago they brought home a new dog, a Jackabee. Far be it for me to tell anyone what to do, but I know I couldn't live with all that in such a small space. There is more to this story, but I won't digress. Suffice to say I am just amazed by some people, their need to have the latest and greatest, and their inability to just say no to their kids. I'm forever glad I was taught restraint.

So why do we need more breeds? To make more money off people who have no more room or money to spend?? I guess I just don't get it.
frown.gif

chickengazebra.jpg

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 14
I see your point. I have an Eskapoo and my little Pico(in avatar as a pup) which is a Chihuahua/Papillon...they're best buds and both are super sweet dogs. I also have a Sheltie.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 14
I love dogs but despise those who cross-breed and stick a 'designer' label on the pups. These people are nothing but back yard breeders out to make a fast buck

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 14
Seems to me that these folks are cross-breeding dogs to get the best possible pet for someone to buy. Why not take two breeds that work separately and cross them to see what comes of it?

My wife and I have beek looking at Puggles (pug beagle) and Morkies for a little while, but I don't think we'll get either. I'd prefer either a pure-bred pug, or a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 14
I just gave my chihuahua to my granddaughter. His name is Studley. His latest trick involves carnal knowledge of the family's cat. Now that's a potential hybrid for Animal Planet...

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 14
I think it's healthy - too many breeds are inbred and prone to disease. I don't like the cutesy names and high pricetags, though. Just get a mutt from the shelter - they're mixes, too. Probably not the FOTM mix, but they're cheaper.

And if you're looking for weird, just get a cat. Most of them are slightly defective, yet entertaining.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 14
I love animals ... and all things nature ... but this kinds of cross-breeding only has me envisioning over-crowded poor breeding areas, mistreatment, illness and unwanted, homeless animals left to die. I've seen a handful of these new breeds and some are really cute, but I don't want cute thrown from a car in an unknown area because someone realized too late it was a responsibility they could not handle.

Uncle Erik ... I've heard someone is now breeding cats to look like puppies. I guess real ones aren't enough. <shakes head>

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 14
My family fosters dogs for the Humanes Society and right now we have a Dalmador, a Dalmation, Labrador cross and I have to say, it is a nice size dog - not too big and not too small, and it is one of the cutest dogs I've ever seen.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 14
Haha, I like the list of suggested breeds.. Pointsetter = Christmas
biggrin.gif

I have a schnoodle and I love her. We didn't get her because of the special characteristics of the mix, but more because she was adorable and had the perfect temperament. It was a plus that she had a much lower chance of genetic defects than a poodle and schnauzer, which means that she'll likely live a healthier happier life, which is so important. If I were to get another dog one day I would probably get another schnoodle.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 14
I've got a mutt mix breed between a German Shepherd and a Chow Chow. I guess that ends up being a German Chow...Shepherd's Chow...Gow Gow? Who knows....

There are definitely some weird breeds out there now though...

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Offtopic: Doc, just saw the title '[size=xx-small]frugalphile'[/size]. Have you built some frugalhorns?

Interesting you ask. You're the first person to notice! I initially put it there meaning I've gotten 'frugel' about my gear in general. I was accumulating too much stuff and not enough house. However a while ago I started planning to build a pair. I've got plans on a few variations but haven't been able to get to building them yet. I hope to later this summer, soon as I can borrow my father-in-law's table saw. I'd like to have one custom pair of speakers in my life.
biggrin.gif
I assume you've been out to frugal-horn.com?

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 14
I currently have a chihuahua .. or as they say in beverly hills .. "a tiny mighty". Love her immensly. She is the smartest dog I have ever owned. I often check the CRT (chihuahua rescue and transport) site and consider getting her a mate. I don't like her to be alone when I go out.

I must say though that Great Dane's little Pico is a real cutie. Tempting, very tempting.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back