New Digital Disks Will Be Printed on Paper
Apr 19, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 9
I wonder if we'll be able to download and print them on our printer? Then all we would have to do is cut them out with scissors and plop 'em on the CDP...

eek.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 9
I've seen read or die.

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 9
Yomiko will have a field day
biggrin.gif

Now only if it were water proof.

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm betting that they are introducing them because the believe the CD and DVD are too longlasting so they can't sell you the same thing twice. Strikes me as a standard corporate response to slumping sales...

Apr 20, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 9
I have seen paper CD's back around 1997. It didn't last long because only a few CD-ROM's can play them back correctly. Basically, the idea was to create a cheap disposable medium where people can pass them out at conventions, job fairs, or whatever. This paper CD basically had a reflective layer glued on one side of the cardboard. Back then, I guess CD medium costed more.

One of the reasons I read why this paper stuff is considered a big deal is because its suppose to be friendlier to the environment. Paper optical medium can be disposed of easily with certain chemical reactions, leaving behind biodegradeable residues. The clear plastic we use today is bad for landfills (not sure why) and burning them releases toxic fumes.

Apr 20, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 9
pedxing,
cd's stack up quickly. at msn somebody made a string of aol cd's that ran for about 100 yards down the office hallway (stacked). now multiply that by about oh, a billion.

the nice thing about paper cd's is that you can fold it up and keep it in your wallet until you're ready to play it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back