New desktop setup recommendations
Dec 4, 2017 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

grook

New Head-Fier
Hi all, currently I'm using Audioengine 5's with my PC but have some spare Sony SS-CS3 floor standers that aren't worth selling so thinking of using those instead. My current headphones are the Audio Technica AD700X but planning on getting some HD650's eventually.

I was thinking of getting the Topping D30 DAC and A30 Headphone amp and a the SMSL SA-98E Amp for the speakers, is that complete overkill for them? Should i just get an all in one like the SMSL AD-18 and be done with it?

The above setup would be the absolute top end of my budget, trying to keep it under $300USD but i'm not in the US so Schiit are too expensive to consider.

Cheers for the help!

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks, sorry I should have mentioned that I need both USB and Optical in on the DAC otherwise i'd probably just go the SMSL 793ii

Also about $300USD is my budget for all 3, DAC, Headphone amp and Stereo amp so pretty tight budget!! Thinking swapping the Topping A30 for the SMSL sAp VI would save a few bucks but is it a bad move?

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks, sorry I should have mentioned that I need both USB and Optical in on the DAC otherwise i'd probably just go the SMSL 793ii

Also about $300USD is my budget for all 3, DAC, Headphone amp and Stereo amp so pretty tight budget!! Thinking swapping the Topping A30 for the SMSL sAp VI would save a few bucks but is it a bad move?

I never had any experience with the dac mentioned. I guess I can't help with that.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 6
No worries thanks for the suggestion though. I ended up buying the D30 and A30 due to reading a few good reviews.

Regarding Amps I was still thinking the SMSL SA-98E or would the Topping PA3 be a better choice? Thanks!

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 6
Just thought I'd update that i got both the PA3 and the SMSL AD-18 today and they seem to go just as loud as each other so looks like the 80w x2 claim of the topping is accurate.

Question is would the SMSL SA-98E go louder? Think I'll return the PA3 and get it to find out as with my speakers I needed to turn it up to over 3/4 to be a decent volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back