New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Aug 6, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #541 of 756
Wait...lol, but I'm the one who's skeptical xD

You claimed, "noise always creeps in". I don't believe that to be true. So, respectfully, why would I spend time looking for evidence that I don't believe exists? If it's easy enough to find, then I would greatly appreciate you linking any of the evidence you've seen to date that shows a commercial DAC's implementation of galvanic isolation was in any way ineffective at preventing ground noise.

And I think you may be mistaken--I don't believe the Gustard X26 Pro has any galvanic isolation. I also owned one, and I did several months of research before buying it. The lack of isolation was one of several reasons why I sold it...
I didn't claim anything. I have not done measurements of things. I'm simply repeating the results of people who have, people I've literally named. You can go look at those, or you can not. That is your choice.

You're claiming anything with galvanic isolation can't produce noise, ok cool. If I had to bet though, I bet the next thing you'll say is, it doesn't produce audible noise, am I right? Yea this isn't ASR, I'm not getting involved in that conversation but I'm sure they'd love to have one with you if you take it there.

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #542 of 756
I didn't claim anything. I have not done measurements of things. I'm simply repeating the results of people who have, people I've literally named. You can go look at those, or you can not. That is your choice.

You're claiming anything with galvanic isolation can't produce noise, ok cool. If I had to bet though, I bet the next thing you'll say is, it doesn't produce audible noise, am I right? Yea this isn't ASR, I'm not getting involved in that conversation but I'm sure they'd love to have one with you if you take it there.
If you go back and re-read my posts, I already said "audible noise". I felt I had to use that caveat because there's no such thing as an absolutely perfect electrical circuit, let alone a perfect measuring device.

You claimed a lot of things, and then failed to back up any of it with any actual evidence when I asked for it. You also later implied that any measurable noise must be a result of ground interference, which just isn't true. I think therein lies the disconnect...

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #543 of 756
Any experience in the group with Kimber D60 BNC cables? Picking up a pair today to replace the $80 Geistnote ones I've been using for almost a year. Have read BNC'c provide a big difference given the equipment in use. Currently using the Terminator + and Gaia DDC.

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #544 of 756
Any experience in the group with Kimber D60 BNC cables? Picking up a pair today to replace the $80 Geistnote ones I've been using for almost a year. Have read BNC'c provide a big difference given the equipment in use. Currently using the Terminator + and Gaia DDC.
No, but I’ll be interested to hear what you think. I’m using cheap silver cables from eBay and haven’t really felt like experimenting with high end BNCs. Until now. I have a T2 + Gaia FWIW.

Aug 7, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #545 of 756
Galvanic isolation isn't binary, where it either works, or it doesn't. It is my understanding that it can't be perfect, and noise always creeps in, at least that's what every reviewer who has ever talked about DDCs has said, British Audiophile, Hans, Goldensound etc etc.

Having said that, depending on the comparison, I'd probably get a Termi2 over Venus/Gaia, but it also depends on what you're connecting your DAC to. If you're plugging things directly into a PC, you might benefit more from a DDC. If not, you might benefit more from a better DAC.
I have read about this as well.

I thought galvanic isolation was binary but it is not the case. There are levels to galvanic isolation and it could also be compounding, meaning more than one may have a benefit. And even if it is galvanically isolated, it doesn't mean its electromagnetically isolated.

Still learning about this stuff but the reading through the articles, indicates that galvanically isolated does mean there is complete cut off from noise transfer. Some of it does get past the goalie.

Aug 7, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #546 of 756
Didn't expect these to glow like reflector strips on a pair of Jordans. Beautiful cables and the connectors are top notch. Warming up the amp now for some Sunday evening listening impressions.

Attachments

• IMG_5283.jpg
    IMG_5283.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5286.JPG
    IMG_5286.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5288.JPG
    IMG_5288.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5287.JPG
    IMG_5287.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 8, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #547 of 756

I had Kimber D60 in my system with Terminator Plus connected to Gaia (Kimber Kable is local to me). The D60 made audible sonic differences that I found to be noticeable and definitely an improvement over generic. I would highly recommend D60.

I then went further down the rabbit hole replacing the Kimber with Stealth Sextet and this cable is probably the most impressive cable I've ever purchased (leading me to other Stealth cable purchases since I was so impressed). Having said that, the cost of the Sextet is prohibitive so I am not really generally recommending it unless you want to go nuts.

Kimber D60 is a terrific choice.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #548 of 756
Reading through this tread it seems like the iris would not add much improvement to the ares ii. I just purchased the ares ii and due to health really can’t afford the buy another DAC.

I can afford to buy the iris but if the general impression is not too. Just wondering if the people that added the iris to ares ii feel it was or wasn’t worth it?

Looking at options to improve my system (in signature) and am not sure where best to spend money. Any advice is appreciated on this.

Michael Longoria disagrees.

https://twitteringmachines.com/review-denafrips-iris-usb-digital-to-digital-converter/

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #550 of 756
My Hermes was working flawlessly for last 6 months. Today i tried to test a new Usb cable, after that my PC did not recognized the Hermes anymore (both via the new and old usb cable).

I tried to reinstall the usb Driver, tried different usb ports on PC (both 2.0 and 3.0) but none works.

Despite PC does not recognize the Hermes, the 44.1k led still lights up when I connect an usb cable to the Hermes and light off when usb cable disconnected. Weird!

Note:
- Other inputs of the Hermes such as optical, coax... work fine.
- Tried usb input on the Pontus 2 dac, the PC instantly recognizes the Pontus.

Did anyone face the same issue? Any helps would be great. Thank you a lot.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #551 of 756
It depends on the input. USB? No improvement over going into the Ares directly. S/PDIF? It'll be better but I'd still save my money to upgrade to a Pontus sometime later.
I have compared connecting my MBP by USB to the T+ directly and connecting it to the Gaia by USB and then connecting the Gaia to the T+ by i2s. Obvious difference in sound. Using the Gaia the sound is smoother and more focussed.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #552 of 756
For those of you connecting DDC to Denafrips DAC via I2S, which cable are you using?

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #553 of 756
For those of you connecting DDC to Denafrips DAC via I2S, which cable are you using?
Tubulus Concentus. Very good tonal density and detail compared to others I've tried.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #554 of 756

DH Labs HDMI 2.1 Seems like a really good value. I'm using a Tubusus Argentus USB cable and have considered upgrading the HDMI, but it doesn't seem like a priority.

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #555 of 756
My Hermes was working flawlessly for last 6 months. Today i tried to test a new Usb cable, after that my PC did not recognized the Hermes anymore (both via the new and old usb cable).

I tried to reinstall the usb Driver, tried different usb ports on PC (both 2.0 and 3.0) but none works.

Despite PC does not recognize the Hermes, the 44.1k led still lights up when I connect an usb cable to the Hermes and light off when usb cable disconnected. Weird!

Note:
- Other inputs of the Hermes such as optical, coax... work fine.
- Tried usb input on the Pontus 2 dac, the PC instantly recognizes the Pontus.

Did anyone face the same issue? Any helps would be great. Thank you a lot.
It also happened to me with the same problems, after about six months the USB card burned out. After contacting Denafrips I sent the Hermes to the service center. The Hermes was returned to me after repairing the USB board and another component that had burned out.
I thought I was just the unlucky one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back