New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Aug 1, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #526 of 759
Pontus has no galvanic isolation on USB port, neither Venus, only T+/II has. These models will benefit the most from DDC, as all (I know) have USB port isolated. This is the most important function of DDC - not reclocking (in a case of asynchronous transfers reclocking doesn't make any sense), but protection from noise.

DAC's that have USB port isolated do not benefit from DDC to the same level.
I am confused, based on Denafrips website,it says Pontus2 has "Galvanic Isolation of all digital inputs by means of high speed optocouplers." So is the usb galvanically isolated or not?

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #527 of 759
I am confused, based on Denafrips website,it says Pontus2 has "Galvanic Isolation of all digital inputs by means of high speed optocouplers." So is the usb galvanically isolated or not?
You can test yourself, according to this post.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #528 of 759
You can test yourself, according to this post.
Thanks for the info. I guess the real question is , is the USB connector itself galvanically isolated or not. The digital signals from digital inputs seem to be though per the website. Best to get clarity from Alvin.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #529 of 759
Pontus has no galvanic isolation on USB port, neither Venus, only T+/II has. These models will benefit the most from DDC, as all (I know) have USB port isolated. This is the most important function of DDC - not reclocking (in a case of asynchronous transfers reclocking doesn't make any sense), but protection from noise.

DAC's that have USB port isolated do not benefit from DDC to the same level.

Okay, but my point was--why not just buy a better DAC that already has galvanic isolation, and skip the DDC altogether? Seems like that would make more sense than buying two separate (expensive) devices.

For instance, you could buy a Venus DAC and a Gaia DDC, and you'd pay more than you would for a Terminator II, but you'd still have arguably inferior hardware.

Or, you could buy an even lower-tier, Pontus DAC along with a Gaia DDC for less cost than a Terminator II, but again, I'd argue this is not a cost-effective solution unless you really must have a Denafrips DAC.

For instance, why not just buy a Holo Audio Spring DAC which is R2R, measures phenomenally well, and already has galvanic isolation built-in? Or pay half that price and buy a Singxer SDA-6 if delta-sigma is an option?

Just not sure I understand the rationale of building your system around a DDC, unless you're using it specifically as a digital hub.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #530 of 759
For instance, why not just buy a Holo Audio Spring DAC which is R2R, measures phenomenally well, and already has galvanic isolation built-in?
It measures incredibly well, like Delta-Sigma and sounds like Delta-Sigma. No, Holo Audio is not on my list....

As for saving by buying better DAC with isolation, etc., I can assure you, it is not saving, as with better sound our ears increase sensitivity, you wll end up buying DDC anyway and once it is done, you will find that external clock is helping too. Then power conditioners, and so on. :)

My suggestion is to get a DAC that sound good and has the best upgrade features.

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #531 of 759
Reading through this tread it seems like the iris would not add much improvement to the ares ii. I just purchased the ares ii and due to health really can’t afford the buy another DAC.

I can afford to buy the iris but if the general impression is not too. Just wondering if the people that added the iris to ares ii feel it was or wasn’t worth it?

Looking at options to improve my system (in signature) and am not sure where best to spend money. Any advice is appreciated on this.

Aug 5, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #532 of 759
Reading through this tread it seems like the iris would not add much improvement to the ares ii. I just purchased the ares ii and due to health really can’t afford the buy another DAC.

I can afford to buy the iris but if the general impression is not too. Just wondering if the people that added the iris to ares ii feel it was or wasn’t worth it?

Looking at options to improve my system (in signature) and am not sure where best to spend money. Any advice is appreciated on this.

I would skip the Iris. It doesn’t make sense until the Pontus II since the Ares II doesn’t have I2S

You’d be better off adding a W4S recovery to the Ares II as a stop gap then saving for a better DAC before trying to add a DDC

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #533 of 759

The Iris has two functions: DDC and reclocking. As you have no use of DDC with the Ares II to change to I2s input, why not look at the Denafrips Terra or Aether which just do the reclocking? In fact I believe their reclocking is better than in the Iris.
Improving the clocks ought to bring a noticeable improvement to the ARES II.
I suggest you ask Alvin Ng at sales@vinshineaudio.com fit his opinion.

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #534 of 759
The Iris has two functions: DDC and reclocking. As you have no use of DDC with the Ares II to change to I2s input, why not look at the Denafrips Terra or Aether which just do the reclocking? In fact I believe their reclocking is better than in the Iris.
Improving the clocks ought to bring a noticeable improvement to the ARES II.
I suggest you ask Alvin Ng at sales@vinshineaudio.com fit his opinion.

I may be wrong but I think only the DDCs accept clock input. The DACs do not.

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #535 of 759
Thanks all for helping me decide to hold off on the iris for now. Just bought new iem’s so money is a tad tight and if not going to make a huge difference it's not worth spending the money on.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #537 of 759
Okay, but my point was--why not just buy a better DAC that already has galvanic isolation, and skip the DDC altogether? Seems like that would make more sense than buying two separate (expensive) devices.

For instance, you could buy a Venus DAC and a Gaia DDC, and you'd pay more than you would for a Terminator II, but you'd still have arguably inferior hardware.

Or, you could buy an even lower-tier, Pontus DAC along with a Gaia DDC for less cost than a Terminator II, but again, I'd argue this is not a cost-effective solution unless you really must have a Denafrips DAC.

For instance, why not just buy a Holo Audio Spring DAC which is R2R, measures phenomenally well, and already has galvanic isolation built-in? Or pay half that price and buy a Singxer SDA-6 if delta-sigma is an option?

Just not sure I understand the rationale of building your system around a DDC, unless you're using it specifically as a digital hub.
Galvanic isolation isn't binary, where it either works, or it doesn't. It is my understanding that it can't be perfect, and noise always creeps in, at least that's what every reviewer who has ever talked about DDCs has said, British Audiophile, Hans, Goldensound etc etc.

Having said that, depending on the comparison, I'd probably get a Termi2 over Venus/Gaia, but it also depends on what you're connecting your DAC to. If you're plugging things directly into a PC, you might benefit more from a DDC. If not, you might benefit more from a better DAC.

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #538 of 759
Galvanic isolation isn't binary, where it either works, or it doesn't. It is my understanding that it can't be perfect, and noise always creeps in, at least that's what every reviewer who has ever talked about DDCs has said, British Audiophile, Hans, Goldensound etc etc.

"Noise always creeps in"

Hmm, okay.

Is that what "every reviewer who has ever talked about DDCs" says? Because if they're all in unanimous agreement, then surely there's ample evidence available which demonstrate galvanic isolated DACs failing to eliminate incoming ground noise. Can you share some with me? Because I've not seen it, unless you're talking about absolutely infinitesimal (i.e. inconsequential, inaudible) levels of 'noise'.

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #539 of 759
"Noise always creeps in"

Hmm, okay.

Is that what "every reviewer who has ever talked about DDCs" says? Because if they're all in unanimous agreement, then surely there's ample evidence available which demonstrate galvanic isolated DACs failing to eliminate incoming ground noise. Can you share some with me? Because I've not seen it, unless you're talking about absolutely infinitesimal (i.e. inconsequential, inaudible) levels of 'noise'.
Go look up measurements to DACs with galvanic isolation and see if they have noise. Should be easy enough.

Edit: or just skip all that and look at DDC measurements instead. They should all be perfect right?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #540 of 759
Go look up measurements to DACs with galvanic isolation and see if they have noise. Should be easy enough. BF2 is galvanically isolated, Gustard x26pro is as well, just to name the 2 I’ve had.

Wait...lol, but I'm the one who's skeptical xD

You claimed, "noise always creeps in". I don't believe that to be true. So, respectfully, why would I spend time looking for evidence that I don't believe exists? If it's easy enough to find, then I would greatly appreciate you linking any of the evidence you've seen to date that shows a commercial DAC's implementation of galvanic isolation was in any way ineffective at preventing ground noise.

And I think you may be mistaken--I don't believe the Gustard X26 Pro has any galvanic isolation. I also owned one, and I did several months of research before buying it. The lack of isolation was one of several reasons why I sold it...

Edit: Just saw your edit--you are aware there are various sources of electrical noise in DAC measurements, and that any presence of noise can't simply be attributed to ground pollution. Right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back