New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Feb 5, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #226 of 756
So, this is the second time that I've seen someone post that Denafrips uses SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) in their gear. My knowledge on this topic is very limited besides having heard on numerous occasions that SMPS are noisier and less desirable than linear power supplies. That said, Alvin's diagram shows a linear power supply section. Are people misinterpreting the auto 120/240v switching as an SMPS - or maybe that portion is a SMPS and Denafrips blended both technologies for the best of both worlds? Anyone have an idea?
Blended successfully - NOT, but the first part can be a valid point.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #227 of 756
So, this is the second time that I've seen someone post that Denafrips uses SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) in their gear. My knowledge on this topic is very limited besides having heard on numerous occasions that SMPS are noisier and less desirable than linear power supplies. That said, Alvin's diagram shows a linear power supply section. Are people misinterpreting the auto 120/240v switching as an SMPS - or maybe that portion is a SMPS and Denafrips blended both technologies for the best of both worlds? Anyone have an idea?

Hi @johnzz4 ,

The SMPS in DENAFRIPS components is use to power up the voltage sensing circuitry.

This is how the sensing circuitry works:
  1. DAC/DDC first power up (cold/black start), SMPS powered up
  2. SMPS supply voltage to the voltage sensing circuitry. The sensing circuitry comprises of voltage detection, current sensing. It's essentially a micro processor, let's call it a uP here
  3. uP senses and determines the input AC mains voltage range (120V / 240VAC)
  4. Thereafter, the uP triggers its I/O to energize the power relays to supply the AC mains to the O-Core transformers primary windings
  5. Linear power supply circuitry is now live, and the SMPS will be cut off
This explained why when DENAFRIPS components first power up, there is relay clicking sound internally.

Hope this helps!

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #228 of 756
Hi @johnzz4 ,

The SMPS in DENAFRIPS components is use to power up the voltage sensing circuitry.

This is how the sensing circuitry works:
  1. DAC/DDC first power up (cold/black start), SMPS powered up
  2. SMPS supply voltage to the voltage sensing circuitry. The sensing circuitry comprises of voltage detection, current sensing. It's essentially a micro processor, let's call it a uP here
  3. uP senses and determines the input AC mains voltage range (120V / 240VAC)
  4. Thereafter, the uP triggers its I/O to energize the power relays to supply the AC mains to the O-Core transformers primary windings
  5. Linear power supply circuitry is now live, and the SMPS will be cut off
This explained why when DENAFRIPS components first power up, there is relay clicking sound internally.

Hope this helps!
Great explanation Alvin. Wishing all at Denafrips a wonderful and safe CNY.

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #234 of 756
The Hermes is trickled down from the Gaia DDC. The major differences between the Gaia / Hermes are:
- OCXOs in the Gaia are of superior quality
- Gaia chassis is made of full aluminum panels
- Hermes front panel is aluminum, chassis is metal alloy
- Hermes available in black only

I would say Hermes hits the sweet spot for most audiophile systems.

image (75) (2) (3) (1).png

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #235 of 756
The Hermes is trickled down from the Gaia DDC. The major differences between the Gaia / Hermes are:

Ok thank Alvin!!

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #236 of 756

"I would say Hermes hits the sweet spot for most audiophile systems." I love the honesty in that statement Alvin. Thank you sir.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #238 of 756
Will Gaia work at its full potential if connected to standard PC via USB? Or high quality USB source is still a requirement?

You MUST get an audiophile PCIe USB card or you will never reach the full potential of your computer audio system. I have the Pink Faun USB Bridge without the upgraded clock or external linear power supply and it made a MASSIVE improvement to my high-end setup. I should have done this years ago before going down the rabbit hole of expensive gear and cables.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #239 of 756
Pink Faun USB Bridge is one solution, DDC is another. With a proper configuration on the PC - asynchronous USB transfers with explicit end point (USB terminology) - USB host is synchronised with a receiver clock. It is ideal situation for jitter-free transmision. @S-S-MR, your experience is not questioned here, but all modern USB receivers support this mode. It is not activated by default, it needs few steps to do, depends on your music player.

More problematic are ground loops. The most efficient way to break ground loops is a galvanic isolation, it is why we need DDC.

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #240 of 756
Pink Faun USB Bridge is one solution, DDC is another. With a proper configuration on the PC - asynchronous USB transfers with explicit end point (USB terminology) - USB host is synchronised with a receiver clock. It is ideal situation for jitter-free transmision. @S-S-MR, your experience is not questioned here, but all modern USB receivers support this mode. It is not activated by default, it needs few steps to do, depends on your music player.

More problematic are ground loops. The most efficient way to break ground loops is a galvanic isolation, it is why we need DDC.

How would you activate it? Like say with jRiver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back