New David Gilmour album: On an island
Mar 9, 2006 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

GirgleMirt

500+ Head-Fier
So I just went thru the album for the first time.

David Gilmour and other Floyd members are a bit of a mystery sometimes. Together, they made amazing music. Individually, they're all very accomplished musicians but sometimes, their solo efforts well, just didn't compare to what they did together.

For example, after The Final Cut (title is a bit ironic because it was the Final Cut of the Floyd...), Roger Waters released a few albums (Radio KAOS, pros/cons hichtchiking) which just didn't hold up to the Floyd standard (well if you consider the floyd standard higher than Final Cut & RW's solo efforts...). Rick Wright and David Gilmour didn't fare that much better... RickW's Broken China made little waves, as well as DG's self titled album and About Face. Some didn't even like Floyd albums after Waters departure, affirming that PF without RW isnt' PF...

BUT, in some instances there were some surprises... Roger Waters released Amused to Death. I thought it was an AMAZING album. David Gilmour released DVD of a mainly acoustic concert which was simply breathtaking... Roger Waters released Ça Ira opera and most people went What and didn't pick it up after reading many negative reviews... So you really never know what to expect

So a new DG solo album. So far, there hasn't been an Amused to death equivalent from DG, well maybe except if you would consider A momentary lapse of reason or The Division Bell DG albums, or the concert which contained mainly old Floyd material... But just looking at his solo albums, one was to wonder who good this album could be...

I was a bit ecstatic when I heard that it was released yesterday, but at the same time, a bit apprehensive... Would it be as good as the classical floyd albums? As good as his last live concert? Or more like his previous last solo efforts?

Well, I listened to some samplestwo days ago and really wasn't impressed...
frown.gif
Oh no I thought! Still its just samples... So I picked up the album and listened to it from start to end.

Is it horrible? Is it a masterpiece? Well I can't say after 1 listening session
tongue.gif
But what I can say is that I had a really good time listening to it. I had no problem listening to it from start to end (unlike some of the other solo efforts of PF), and so far it sounds like a very solid album. No doubt the best of his solo efforts so far! So the cd isn't going on the shelf with the other average solo cds, its going to get some more listening and probably a place with the other more enjoyable cds.
smily_headphones1.gif

This one is Mirt recommended!
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 31
I agree with pretty much all you said. I too was hoping to be blown away. Overall, it is not quite as compelling, interesting or daring as I wish it would be.

That being said, I like the album and I am glad I have it. I listened to it 4 times through so far, and I am not sick of it. I have not felt that I need to skip through a single song. I still need to learn the details and nuances of the album, which hopefully takes a while (my long term interest in songs/albums is proportional to how long it takes to decipher).

The album is well recorded and mastered IMO. Running mp3gain, the gain was already down at ~93dB (if I remember correctly). There is no high compression crunchiness or overall loudness.

I recommend the album if you like Division Bell. Beyond that, It'll take another few days to have more comments.

George

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 31
Ive never really found Gilmours work to blow me away on the first listen; most of PF work in general needs to sink its teeth into you before it has a reall effect.
I didnt like Division Bell the first 3-4 times I heard it, force fed it, now I love it.
Hopefully after some time this album will grow on everyone?
Just wishfull thinking...im gonna pick it up later today.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 31
Pretty cool from DG's site:
Quote:

Live On An Island – the first LIVE airing!

The LIVE version of On An Island from last night's recorded concert at the Mermaid Theatre, London, was aired at around 5:45PM UK time on the BBC Radio 2 Johnnie Walker show tonight.

'Listen Again' via the BBC Radio 2 Web site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/walker/ (click on wednesday. Requires RealPlayer though...)

I think the 1st tune is at ~19h38, so you can hit + 15 mins 2 times, + 5 minutes 1 time and have to wait ~3 minutes for it to start. Not sure if he plays other songs, but for a preview its not so bad

Bah! its just 1 song... The full concert is saturday night.. 8h30.. BAH!!

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 31
I bought it on Tuesday, and have listened to it maybe 2-3 times so far. I share the same thoughts for the most part. I thought it was a decent album, definately worth listening to, but not as good as his self-titled album. I actually like that solo effort quite a bit, but this new one doesn't stack up in my eyes.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 31
(Dawns Flame suit) OK well, I got the album as well. To put it bluntly I think it sucks big time over all . For such a talented person who has been making music for 40 some years, you would think he could do better than this. On an Island is a pretty good song and has somewhat of PF flair to it. Red Sky at night also has some PF overtones. I have listed to it a couple of times and as soon as I get through the 2 or 3 songs I do like. I swith to his self titled album, listen and then wonder what happend to that creativity. Just my .02 for those of you that like the album rock on!.....

biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by viper32
(Dawns Flame suit) OK well, I got the album as well. To put it bluntly I think it sucks big time over all . For such a talented person who has been making music for 40 some years, you would think he could do better than this. On an Island is a pretty good song and has somewhat of PF flair to it. Red Sky at night also has some PF overtones. I have listed to it a couple of times and as soon as I get through the 2 or 3 songs I do like. I swith to his self titled album, listen and then wonder what happend to that creativity. Just my .02 for those of you that like the album rock on!.....

biggrin.gif

seems that everyone shares the same general sentiments...
I dont have ANY of his solo efforts; where to start?

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 31
Probably the last thing David Gilmour wants to do is produce an album that sounds like Floyd?

Listen to Floyd albums after Syd Barret left and before Darkside of the Moon. That’s Floyd with all the band members contributing. There’s the David Gilmour influence in lots of songs.

“Pros/Cons Hichtchiking” I saw Waters tour with Eric Clapton for those shows. Clapton did classic Floyd incredibly well. Just truly beautiful music.

Mitch

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Probably the last thing David Gilmour wants to do is produce an album that sounds like Floyd?

Listen to Floyd albums after Syd Barret left and before Darkside of the Moon. That’s Floyd with all the band members contributing. There’s the David Gilmour influence in lots of songs.

“Pros/Cons Hichtchiking” I saw Waters tour with Eric Clapton for those shows. Clapton did classic Floyd incredibly well. Just truly beautiful music.

Mitch

When did Clapton cover Floyd tunes? What songs did he cover?

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by viper32

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
seems that everyone shares the same general sentiments...
I dont have ANY of his solo efforts; where to start?

Not really... I for one think on an island is leagues ahead DG's DG or About face... Maybe to put things in perspective, I listened to his solo albums about 20 years after they were first released (1990s), and I was about as old as them. Maybe compared to what was out in 1978 it was innovative/creative... But to me, in the 90s, after all the PF stuff which came out since then, these two albums really had nothing special to them... Few ok songs, but overall really nothing special. Now I pull them out very rarely and for the most part are just gathering dust and when I do pull them out, my reaction is usually not that bad, few good/ok tracks, but really as a whole, nothing special. Then they go back on the shelf for months, if not years...

So far, I've been thru On an island about four times since yesterday
etysmile.gif
This album seems much better, as a whole. Previous DG solo efforts seem to go really left and right in musical styles and really up and down in enjoyment/quality. (skimped thru them yesterday). I find that I like every single song on "On an island" and I have no problem going thru the whole album from start to end. Thats what makes the difference between a good album and an album with some good tracks on it... OAI really has that 'album' feel, where every song fit well together, where the album seems to flows from start to end, and works beautifully as a whole... Thats really one of the hallmarks of Floyd IMHO, and again IMHO OAI does it beautifully.

After the 1st listen of Radio KAOS, P/C Hitchhickers, Broken China, DG, About face, I would have never, ever listened to those multiple times in a row... Going thru once is more than enough and thats even IF I manage to get thru them without fastwording/skipping a few tracks.

I now think OAI is a very, very good album, if not excellent. I would rate it easily above other PF members solo stuff and The Final Cut, and maybe just a little lower than Amused to Death. Right now I'm loving it!
biggrin.gif

If you're going to get some of Gilmour's solo stuff, I'd start with:
1) DVD concert. Its an amazing concert.
2) DG's self titled album and/or About face.
3) On an island.

1st the concert to see if you like his style. Then in chronological order. But if you don't like DG/About face these too much, don't let it discourage you from buying on an island...

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 31
“When did Clapton cover Floyd tunes? What songs did he cover?”

Clapton played with Roger Waters on “The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking”.

The 1984 Tour:

*The Bleeding Hearts Band were:
 Roger Waters - Rhythm Guitar, Bass Guitar, and Vocals
 Erick Clapton - Lead Guitar
 Michael Kamen - Keyboards
 Andy Newmark - Drums
 Mel Collins - Saxophones
 Chris Stainton - Keyboards and Bass Guitar
 Tim Renwick - Guitar and Bass Guitar
 Doreen Chanter - Backing Vocals
 Katie Kissoon - Backing Vocals

The first half of the concert was the Pros and Cons in it’s entirety then the second half was classic Floyd. The timing of Eclipse was awesome. I don’t know of any released albums with Clapton covering Floyd but the concerts I saw were amazing.

Claptons one of the few guitarists that can compliment someone like David Gilmour.

Now when I saw Gilmour play with Supertramp on “Brother Where You Bound” that was a great show.

Mitch

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 31
I'm really enjoying this CD...I think it's the best work he's done since Wish You Were Here.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 31
I'm enjoying it as well. When I purchase solo works from Floyd members, I'm not looking for the Floyd sound, just the individual's talent. They (Waters/Gilmour/Wright) all have their own defining characteristics, and yes, one can hear some of that Floyd influence in all of their works. However, people shouldn't purchase a solo work on the premise that it will "sound like" Pink Floyd. Listen to it for what it is, not what you think it should sound like.

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 31
Agreed....I'm just commenting that it's his best work since Wish You Were Here. The guitar work is excellent, and I think it surpasses anything he's done with Pink Floyd since Roger Waters left the band. That doesn't mean that I like it because it sounds more like Pink Floyd than his other work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back