New DAP...help?
Nov 10, 2008 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

eightbitpotion

500+ Head-Fier
I traded my old iAudio 7 for a new monitor (pretty good deal
smily_headphones1.gif
)...so I'm using that as a great excuse to get a new DAP. I thought about a D2...but then I figured that I should probably see if that's still a winner, seeing that I haven't been in the market for a DAP in like a year.

So less than 500....what would you guys get? I don't like bells and whistles- that's what my computer is for. I just want something that sounds extremely blissful, what has the best DACs as of right now?

PS. I know there is thread after thread about this SAME thing, but I can't seem to get a straight answer for current lineups.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 7

eightbitpotion

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony S63X series - that's bliss in a nutshell.

Did sony get good? I never really liked their level of bass at all... I don't like artifact sound, so is this gone from newer sony products?

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 7

tds101

Formerly known as nywytboy68
LOL - FLAC playback will be excellent on the i7 or the D2, and I believe the Fuze and clip also. I think the iriver Spinn also does FLAC, but it's overpriced for the capacity, and the player is really considered a disappointment. It really is different from what iriver promised to deliver. TBH, the Fuze or i7 would be, IMO, the best 2 choices. The D2 suffers from bass roll off, but the i7 is spared this problem. The Fuze is just an all around great sounding player, and it's a bit cheaper, but the SQ doesn't suffer from the low price. Plus, you can purchase an 8gb Fuze for $87.03 on amazon, then get a microSD card for increased capacity later on. Better deal IMO. Here's the link to the Amazon page: Amazon.com: SanDisk Sansa Fuze 8 GB MP3 Player (Silver): Electronics

BTW: If you read the specs on Amazon, it doesn't say that the Fuze plays FLAC, this was added via a FW update.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 7

eightbitpotion

500+ Head-Fier
Capacity isn't a concern- I generally listen to maybe two to four albums at a given period. I loved my iAudio very much, and am leaning towards just getting a new one. I think that the D2 would be an upgrade for me considering my ... taste in genres. I seem to recall that the D2 uses a Wolfson WM8985G... which was really superb.

I suppose the only thing keeping from the D2 is worrying about scratches and fingerprints on the screen- anyone have a thought about this? Also, I've been checking out the Sansa.... not my style- I'd just get an ipod if I found the Sansa somewhat appealing.

BTW, I'm not a portable audiosnob... I just rip my music in flac because I can. I'd hate to waste time converting files :-\.

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 7

Shauntell47

100+ Head-Fier
if using flac, i'd go teclast from what i've heard... if you can find one...
ask faichiu, he can tell you about it...

Users who are viewing this thread