New DAC suggestions?
Feb 20, 2007 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've had my Dialogue II for a while now, and im really starting to realize i dont particularly care for it. It seems very shrill at times, and makes me scratch my head. I know that it is a NOS dac, and i thought that they were known to be more warm and liquid vs. OS dac's. Maybe im going crazy. Anyways, are there any suggestions for a warmer dac around 200$?

Thanks,

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I've had my Dialogue II for a while now, and im really starting to realize i dont particularly care for it. It seems very shrill at times, and makes me scratch my head. I know that it is a NOS dac, and i thought that they were known to be more warm and liquid vs. OS dac's. Maybe im going crazy. Anyways, are there any suggestions for a warmer dac around 200$?

Thanks,

Although I have never heard it, I have read WONDERFUL things about the Beresford TC-7510 (http://www.homehifi.co.uk/products/TC-7510.html). I am probably going to be getting one soon, so I'll be able to post my impressions of it when I do.

Plus, its only about $190USD, or cheaper if you live outside UK so you can avoid UK taxes.

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 12
frasey, that link was broke or something... anyone else have any ideas, id like to check out the one you suggested as well

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 12
haha, yeah i noticed that. Any other suggestions?
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 12
this is the first i hear of this dac.. Anyone have any actual experience with it?
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

this is the first i hear of this dac.. Anyone have any actual experience with it?
biggrin.gif

I will, once I buy it pretty soon. The reviews of the MKII version before it were HIGHLY favorable, one of them comparing it to a $1000 DAC.

When I buy it, I will be sure to write a review for everyone.

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 12
Maybe they sent you a constantine by mistake. I thought the dialogue was specifically thought to be one of the warmest/smoothest dacs around. You could try a dac-ah with paper-in-oil coupling caps, but I don't know if you will find a smoother dac than the dialogue without a tube output stage. Tube dacs are probably mostly out of your price range though.

Good luck

Quote:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by izquierdaste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe they sent you a constantine by mistake. I thought the dialogue was specifically thought to be one of the warmest/smoothest dacs around. You could try a dac-ah with paper-in-oil coupling caps, but I don't know if you will find a smoother dac than the dialogue without a tube output stage. Tube dacs are probably mostly out of your price range though.

Good luck

I wouldn't describe the TC-7510 as warm and smooth. It's more in-your-face and to the point. If you love bass, your floor boards are going to shake. Female vocals are going to seduce you instead of putting you to sleep or bore you with a warm or smooth voice. I listened to 1812 the other day, and boy the grille on one of my speakers popped out! Only seen that happen once before.

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 12
haha no its not a constantine, the board is a dialogue II board, as well as the acrylic case
rolleyes.gif
. I suppose tube dac's are an option for me, but they are a tad bit pricey.
wink.gif

EDIT: Any chance it could be my fairly excuse my french (piss poor) sound card, that i got for around 20 bux? I'm almost certain if im just using it as a transport, it will have no affect on the sound..

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 12
any comments?
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back