New DAC required.
Nov 16, 2008 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ninjapixie

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone again.

After 3 months I've come to the conclusion that the Cambridge 840c is not a great match for my Genelec 8020a speakers. The sound is a little too cold and analytical, plus I have to tone down the Genelecs with their -2db treble cut.

The 840c is still incredible with my Senn 580s, however I've found myself listening to them less and less as I've found the stereo-image portrayed by the Senns to be vastly inferior to the Genelecs, despite the Senns sounding sweeter and musical. The sound of instruments coming directly from my left or right side, as well as up and down is rather disconcerting, and the cross-feed on the Arietta doesn't help all that much.

So now I'm after a DAC with a warmer, more musical sound that will pair up well with my Genelec speakers. Must have XLR outputs and comparable levels of detail to the 840c. Budget- under 3k Aussie dollars.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 8
Aqvox MkII perhaps? I believe it has quite a warm, musical sound but without the emphasised/exaggerated bass often associated with Stello.

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've looked into the Stellos but can't seem to find anyone in Australia that sells them.

The Aqvox MkII and the mytek I'm still researching.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 8
i'll highly recommend the one I picked: PS Audio Digital Link III. I got the Cullen modded version, but I've heard the stock as well.

it's got a very smooth, engaging high-end, and I find it more musical than the Benchmark.... some call it "analog sounding."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back