New DAC for HD800s
Mar 7, 2016 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Thousand1000

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fiers,

I am thinking about getting a separate DAC for my HD800s. Currently running the headphone with the HDVD800 on balanced output. For now I am considering the Yggdrasil from Schiit and the CAS192D from Questyle. I have no experience with either DACs. I am hoping someone can provide some insight as to how the two DACs differ. I like neutral and detailed sound and personally do not find the HD800s being very bright or glaring.

I am also open to other suggestions, but budget wise probably under 2.5k unless there is very good reasons to step-up.

Thanks

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 8
  Hi Head-Fiers,

I am thinking about getting a separate DAC for my HD800s. Currently running the headphone with the HDVD800 on balanced output. For now I am considering the Yggdrasil from Schiit and the CAS192D from Questyle. I have no experience with either DACs. I am hoping someone can provide some insight as to how the two DACs differ. I like neutral and detailed sound and personally do not find the HD800s being very bright or glaring.

I am also open to other suggestions, but budget wise probably under 2.5k unless there is very good reasons to step-up.

Thanks

What about Chord Hugo/Mojo ? It's portable also.

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 8
  Thanks for the input. Preferably I am looking for a DAC with a balanced output, forgot to mention that in the thread

I feel Benchmark Audio DAC will be a good option too.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 8
Hello, could be, that someone can answer on these active threads too... just ask
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785577/sennheiser-hd800s-unveiled
http://www.head-fi.org/t/795365/sennheiser-hd800-s-impressions-thread-read-first-post-for-summary
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-impressions-thread

also yggy and other DAC users are in other Head.Fi threads... use Head-Fi search engine in 'advanced' mode

EDIT: also look on innerfidelity.com and other good audio-related sites too

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 8
  Hi Head-Fiers,

Thanks

You would be hard pressed to find a better sounding DAC than the CAS192D, it is very detailed and musical. It also has a choice of five different digital filters. The one caveat is if you are going to listen to DSD, only Windows is supported as it does not do DoP.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the info. I'm mainly struggling between the Yggdrasil and CAS192D. They both seem like good options and are priced very similarly with balanced output. I'm just curious how the "multibit" make the Yggdrasil different from the CAS192D, which I believe is a fairly neutral and detailed DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back