New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3
Aug 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #961 of 1,401
You've taken right decision. I use linum BaX on mine, and still struggle with various ear tips to get what I want, fast and deep bass, lush airy midrange. Paired to DX90, the lower register does not tight, even it sounds punchy. the upper midrange still need expand the roll off to get more airy. So I think the stock universal SD2 seems hard to get what your describe. Haha,
Sorry, what dap or amp do you pair of?

Believe it or not an iPhone 5 or a MBA, I just am not too sure how an Amp can improve the sound of rather efficient IEMs and I have no power hungry gear to speak of. I have pledged for a Geek Wave but doubt I will see this for a while. My next buy is the CE6 and might give a go to a portable DAC but other than that until the Geek Wave materialises I will enjoy the custom SD2 and the CE6.

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #962 of 1,401
Believe it or not an iPhone 5 or a MBA, I just am not too sure how an Amp can improve the sound of rather efficient IEMs and I have no power hungry gear to speak of. I have pledged for a Geek Wave but doubt I will see this for a while. My next buy is the CE6 and might give a go to a portable DAC but other than that until the Geek Wave materialises I will enjoy the custom SD2 and the CE6.

Amplification is not only about power.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #963 of 1,401

Amplification is not only about power.

I appreciate that, just not sure it makes enough of a difference to warrant the cost. More inclined to spend the money on better earphones for starters. Maybe the GW will change my mind/.

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #964 of 1,401
  Got the right fit with double flanges on both sides now, the isolation is quite nice. 

Few short impressions as I continue to listen: As people would have guessed, the SD-1 doesn't have that much bass as the SD-2 due to a single driver. That doesn't mean that it has no bass at all though. It hits nicely and is tight but doesn't extend that deep. I would say, coming from Stax, the bass is somewhere around the SR-202s bass. If you're looking for a bit more rumble, you're probably better off with the SD-2. The whole sound signature is pretty linear and natural. 
Vocals on these are nothing short of amazing - lush, smooth and not even a single hint of sibilance. 

Hi. I've been investigate online about what double/triple-flange tips would fit with these. At the moment all I can see confirmed is some meelectric ones. Which did you use?

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #965 of 1,401
Bit of bump to say that the long awaited/rumored stagediver FOUR announced on facebook by inear...

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #967 of 1,401
Hey Guys 

I've been having some good PM discussions with Joker about iems to upgrade from the er4s. I asked him for a recommendation based on my 
frustration with the lack of engaging bass and soundstage from the er4s, and their fatiguing highs. I also have the hd650s and really like them. 
So something akin to their sound was a good reference point I gave to him to use. 

Does anyone here have xp using the er4s and stagediver 2? I have been driving the er4s the last two years with my apex glacier, a very nice
and fast dac amp. When I told er4s aficionados on the ety thread that they said no wonder you were finding the er4s fatiguing. Plus they are
100ohms and the glacier is really made for low ohm iems. my bad. I put that down to noob lack of knowledge getting into head fi back then. 

What amps are you guys using to drive your stage divers? the 2BA version is on my watch list as its more akin to the neutral but lusher 
presentation I seek over the er4s. But given that the glacier is a fast and PRaTy amp I wonder if the s3 would be toned down on the bass
department with it. 

Thanks in advance! 

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #968 of 1,401
  Hey Guys 

I've been having some good PM discussions with Joker about iems to upgrade from the er4s. I asked him for a recommendation based on my 
frustration with the lack of engaging bass and soundstage from the er4s, and their fatiguing highs. I also have the hd650s and really like them. 
So something akin to their sound was a good reference point I gave to him to use. 

Does anyone here have xp using the er4s and stagediver 2? I have been driving the er4s the last two years with my apex glacier, a very nice
and fast dac amp. When I told er4s aficionados on the ety thread that they said no wonder you were finding the er4s fatiguing. Plus they are
100ohms and the glacier is really made for low ohm iems. my bad. I put that down to noob lack of knowledge getting into head fi back then. 

What amps are you guys using to drive your stage divers? the 2BA version is on my watch list as its more akin to the neutral but lusher 
presentation I seek over the er4s. But given that the glacier is a fast and PRaTy amp I wonder if the s3 would be toned down on the bass
department with it. 

Thanks in advance! 

When I do use an amp i use the FiiO E12. I would still tell you to go with the SD-2's over the -3's. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #969 of 1,401
Heard the SD4 yesterday along side SD2. Firstly I was impressed with how good they have developed this universal iem it fits like a custom. Perfect fit.
They told be SD2 was linear. SD3 more for stage and SD4 in between with slight U shape.
SD2 and SD4 both have warm tuning. SD-2 has bigger soundstage and big bass, mids are bit laid back, highs have all the details but I thought they were bit rolled.
SD4 had faster bass, highs had more sparkle than SD2 and more micro details.soundstage is bit smaller than SD2.

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #970 of 1,401
Heard the SD4 yesterday along side SD2. Firstly I was impressed with how good they have developed this universal iem it fits like a custom. Perfect fit.
They told be SD2 was linear. SD3 more for stage and SD4 in between with slight U shape.
SD2 and SD4 both have warm tuning. SD-2 has bigger soundstage and big bass, mids are bit laid back, highs have all the details but I thought they were bit rolled.
SD4 had faster bass, highs had more sparkle than SD2 and more micro details.soundstage is bit smaller than SD2.

Smaller soundstage than SD2? In what way? All around or just width? How do the depths of the two compare? Tbh I'm unimpressed by the soundstage of the sd2

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #973 of 1,401
Perfect fit. I got perfect fit with both sd2 and sd3 I demoed. Didn't try with different tips though... only the stock ones.
The SD-2's sounstage expands over time, adding a pair of ortofon tips will ad to that and a good cable does also impove staging. This is my experiance of ˜9 months of heavy usage.

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #974 of 1,401
The SD-2's sounstage expands over time, adding a pair of ortofon tips will ad to that and a good cable does also impove staging. This is my experiance of ˜9 months of heavy usage.

Hmm..... I can't risk that sort of money for an iem that matures that slowly.... besides I didn't like the technical capabilities of the iem either... seemed pretty fuzzy and distortion prone. Will the cables and time change it such that these will be gone for good?

Currently the only real reason id get an sd2 is cause it's gorgeous :wink:

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #975 of 1,401
Hmm..... I can't risk that sort of money for an iem that matures that slowly.... besides I didn't like the technical capabilities of the iem either... seemed pretty fuzzy and distortion prone. Will the cables and time change it such that these will be gone for good?

Currently the only real reason id get an sd2 is cause it's gorgeous
wink.gif

Well yes, they really start to open up efter a month or so of ~4-6hrs a day. It only gets better with time, like most headphones, wine or a lady.

[RANT]
I can't stand this "It's not perfect from the beginning so ***** it" mentality, if you get a dog that's really rambunctious as a puppy are you then going to toss the puppy in the river and get another one? (Pardon my french)

If you don't like it then don't get it. Though you won't get the same performance over all for the price.
[/RANT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back