New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3
Apr 12, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #797 of 1,401
  Hi - I have a pair of StageDiver 3 IEMs - could anyone tell me which way the removable cable should be inserted?  I don't wan't to stuff up the polarity.  I emailed the manufacturer, but didn't hear back.

The dots should always be pointing upwards when the IEM is in your ear.

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #800 of 1,401
  yeap, standard 2 pin westone connectors...so that should work.

You ready to get the SDs davidcotton?

I've been umming and ahhing for ages now.  I've tried customs in the past and they just have not worked for me for whatever reason despite the valiant efforts of a few individuals (CE take a bow).  I do wonder on how the 2 or 3 would fit in my ear (and it's the right that is the problem on universals and customs alike).  After trying customs it seems a retro step back to universals.  Plus at this price point they are not that far off (in headfi terms) of other custom in ear universals (1964 ears v6 for £387 for example) these days so that's why I'm hesitating.  However with the news of the smaller size versions I'm closer to deciding (but again it's between the 2 and the 3)so who knows. I just want something that sounds good, blocks out a lot of noise, has an easy fit and is comfortable for long periods.  I listen to progressive rock and metal (as well as audiobooks and comedies) out of either a ipod classic 7th gen or a sansa clip plus (emergency back up player for when I forget my classic, nothing worse than being stuck at work with no music!).

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #801 of 1,401

I've been umming and ahhing for ages now.  I've tried customs in the past and they just have not worked for me for whatever reason despite the valiant efforts of a few individuals (CE take a bow).  I do wonder on how the 2 or 3 would fit in my ear (and it's the right that is the problem on universals and customs alike).  After trying customs it seems a retro step back to universals.  Plus at this price point they are not that far off (in headfi terms) of other custom in ear universals (1964 ears v6 for £387 for example) these days so that's why I'm hesitating.  However with the news of the smaller size versions I'm closer to deciding (but again it's between the 2 and the 3)so who knows. I just want something that sounds good, blocks out a lot of noise, has an easy fit and is comfortable for long periods.  I listen to progressive rock and metal (as well as audiobooks and comedies) out of either a ipod classic 7th gen or a sansa clip plus (emergency back up player for when I forget my classic, nothing worse than being stuck at work with no music!).

Though I've primarily used my SD-3 with my DX50 with Rockbox, I broke out the trusty Clip+ with Rockbox to sample some tracks.  The Clip+ holds it's own, but I still feel that something like my RE-400 is a better pairing for that DAP as it tends to be a bit warmer.  I think I've just been spoiled with the DX50s capabilities.  The SD-2 may be a better pairing with your DAPs in that regard, but I'll let someone else touch on that since I've not heard the SD-2 yet...both are said to be equally capable.  The SD-3 has some serious low end weight if you want a more lush, engaging sound and are less concerned with a flatter response and accurate tonality.  I enjoy the same types of music and I find the SD-3 works very well for that, especially Progressive 
cool.gif
 The InEars are about as close to customs as I'll probably get, just because of potential fitment issues and versatility...I like to be able to share my experiences.  I was surprised how well they fit into my ears though, and they've been quite comfortable for me - very secure and they provide excellent isolation as a result with the right tips.  Now that I've got it down, getting them in and out is a breeze.  It's very awesome that they were able to release a smaller size for smaller ears.  I suspect if you try one and it was too small or two big, you'd be able to swap for the other size fairly easily.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #804 of 1,401
  Anyone of you guys using a portable amp with the StageDivers? Any comment on the Fiio E12?

It gives the SD-2:s better extension on the low end and a smoother sonic signature. Quite pleasing. Would love to try it with either the X5 again (since i didn't have the ortofon tips during my turn of the X5 tour) or maybe the DX90.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #805 of 1,401
Was just wondering if anyone had come to the sd2/3 range via a westone 3 and what they thought the main differences were ?

The W3 is the bassiest ba iem I have (had the monster turbine and pretty much hated it, the bass was too prominent and swamped the vocals a bit, tried turning up the volume and just gave myself a headache!) fwiw so just trying to get a handle on the differences.

Mind you I have not tried the w3's with the star tips yet so that could be another route (less £££!) to go as well.

Cheers

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #806 of 1,401
Uhm... guys , where is your reviews ?
tongue_smile.gif

Just a little reminder , 'cuz we are really interested

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #807 of 1,401
  Was just wondering if anyone had come to the sd2/3 range via a westone 3 and what they thought the main differences were ?

The W3 is the bassiest ba iem I have (had the monster turbine and pretty much hated it, the bass was too prominent and swamped the vocals a bit, tried turning up the volume and just gave myself a headache!) fwiw so just trying to get a handle on the differences.

Mind you I have not tried the w3's with the star tips yet so that could be another route (less £££!) to go as well.

Cheers

W3 are very much tip dependant. I had same opinion as you until I received a free tip with some cable.They work perfect with W3. 

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #808 of 1,401

Cheers

I'd suggest asking on joker's multi-IEM review thread as he has heard and reviewed both: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-314-iems-compared-olasonic-flat-4-nami-added-04-13-14-p-894

While I've not heard the W3, I will say the star tips are pretty good overall comfort-wise (both silicone and foam) and I'd suggest trying some other tips on your W3 first.  I use the star tips along with Shure Olives for my BA200 personally and they're good sound-wise too.  Just so it's known, tips can play a major role in FR...I know this is a different model, but you can see how they affect the W4 in this article:

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-effect-of-ear-sleeves-westone-4.html

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #810 of 1,401
  I will get to it, but I'm currently busy organising a big event that I'm holding this week. Meanwhile, have this.

Thanks , good luck with your work !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back