New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Sep 20, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #2,851 of 4,065
I'm having a bit of trouble making a decision regarding cables and was wondering if you guys could help. I'm getting the Music Two, my first cIEM. I'm trying to decide between getting the stock non-detachable cables, and asking Piotr to send the IEM with detachable connectors and buying the Linum BaX cable to use with it. The stock detachable cable isn't an option because it has a memory wire.

Reasons I like the idea of a non-detachable cable:

1. Piotr tells me that in his experience they're more durable than detachable ones as the connector on the IEM side with a detachable cable often fails.
  2. I hate memory wires and the cable doesn't have one.
  3. The cost of repairing the cable out of warranty will cost only a little bit more, including shipping, than a new Linum BaX in the worst case scenario, according to Piotr. I take that to mean it could be significantly less if it's not the worst case scenario.
  4. I'm going for a green and black colour scheme. The Linum cables aren't black but the non-detachable ones are.
  5. It's about £60 cheaper to go down this route.

Reasons I like the idea of a detachable cable:

1. The freedom to choose a new cable and change the look, and possibly the sound signature of the IEM.
  2. I can be rough with cables and often find cables fail in the jack plug area. It would be easier and quicker and probably slightly cheaper to replace a detachable cable than send the IEM back to Piotr for a new non-detachable. The question is whether this is more or less important than the better durability where the cable connects to the IEM with a non-detachable. If that's more likely to fail first then maybe the opposite applies and I'd be better with non-detachable.
  3. The form factor of Linum cables is really appealing to me. I love the idea of a cable you can barely see or feel.

It's a tough decision! I'm not going to be exercising with the IEMs or anything like that and won't be throwing them around, but I just struggle to be extremely careful with things I own. I was wondering if anyone here has had either type of cable fail.

Cheers!

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #2,852 of 4,065
I
I'm having a bit of trouble making a decision regarding cables and was wondering if you guys could help. I'm getting the Music Two, my first cIEM. I'm trying to decide between getting the stock non-detachable cables, and asking Piotr to send the IEM with detachable connectors and buying the Linum BaX cable to use with it. The stock detachable cable isn't an option because it has a memory wire.

Reasons I like the idea of a non-detachable cable:

1. Piotr tells me that in his experience they're more durable than detachable ones as the connector on the IEM side with a detachable cable often fails.
  2. I hate memory wires and the cable doesn't have one.
  3. The cost of repairing the cable out of warranty will cost only a little bit more, including shipping, than a new Linum BaX in the worst case scenario, according to Piotr. I take that to mean it could be significantly less if it's not the worst case scenario.
  4. I'm going for a green and black colour scheme. The Linum cables aren't black but the non-detachable ones are.
  5. It's about £60 cheaper to go down this route.

Reasons I like the idea of a detachable cable:

1. The freedom to choose a new cable and change the look, and possibly the sound signature of the IEM.
  2. I can be rough with cables and often find cables fail in the jack plug area. It would be easier and quicker and probably slightly cheaper to replace a detachable cable than send the IEM back to Piotr for a new non-detachable. The question is whether this is more or less important than the better durability where the cable connects to the IEM with a non-detachable. If that's more likely to fail first then maybe the opposite applies and I'd be better with non-detachable.
  3. The form factor of Linum cables is really appealing to me. I love the idea of a cable you can barely see or feel.

It's a tough decision! I'm not going to be exercising with the IEMs or anything like that and won't be throwing them around, but I just struggle to be extremely careful with things I own. I was wondering if anyone here has had either type of cable fail.

Cheers!

I can vouch for the Linum bax cable and music two as that's the combo I'm using right now.

The cable sits quite firmly in there sockets I'm able to take out the music twos and let them dangle in the cake over my ear without any problems at all that's how tight the socket at connector fits.

The Linum cable is near invisible and you don't feel it at all, but the 2 pin connector is transparent/white but really really small so I don't know is that will interfere with your colour scheme, I'll take a picture later and post of my music twos that has a carbon faceplate

for the Linum cables jack plug, it's really tiny aswell i know Linum plans on adding a 90 degree angle plug in the near future but if you get the straight jack I would advise getting a 90 degree adaptor for it if you use it slot of your pocket in your pants

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,853 of 4,065
for the Linum cables jack plug, it's really tiny aswell i know Linum plans on adding a 90 degree angle plug in the near future but if you get the straight jack I would advise getting a 90 degree adaptor for it if you use it slot of your pocket in your pants

Truer words have not been said! The cable is great the jack is pathetic! Hell I'd go as far as to advise to get a straight adapter just so you don't have to pull the jack that comes with the cable itself as it is a question of when not if for the silicon sleeve to get unstuck from the actual jack.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #2,854 of 4,065
Get attached cable a enjoy your music!

Detachable cables = in three months you'll say suddenly out of the blue: "oh I absolutely need to spend 100$ on a cable which I absolutely need immediately "

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #2,855 of 4,065
I

I can vouch for the Linum bax cable and music two as that's the combo I'm using right now.

The cable sits quite firmly in there sockets I'm able to take out the music twos and let them dangle in the cake over my ear without any problems at all that's how tight the socket at connector fits.

The Linum cable is near invisible and you don't feel it at all, but the 2 pin connector is transparent/white but really really small so I don't know is that will interfere with your colour scheme, I'll take a picture later and post of my music twos that has a carbon faceplate

Thanks for the reply. If you could take a picture that would be really useful. Your recommendation for a 90 degree adapter concerns me a bit - I'd rather not be doing that if I can get away with it.

Truer words have not been said! The cable is great the jack is pathetic! Hell I'd go as far as to advise to get a straight adapter just so you don't have to pull the jack that comes with the cable itself as it is a question of when not if for the silicon sleeve to get unstuck from the actual jack.

Thats not very reassuring! If it's that delicate it's probably not for me as that's the bit I tend to destroy on a cable that isn't delicate!

Get attached cable a enjoy your music!

Detachable cables = in three months you'll say suddenly out of the blue: "oh I absolutely need to spend 100$ on a cable which I absolutely need immediately "

Wise words, and I could totally see myself doing that. I think you might be right!

Thanks all for the replies.

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #2,856 of 4,065
I have the Music One with non-detachable cable and they are indeed very durable. The right-angle jack is good but I know it could be the problem later such as with all cables. If you're sure you want to keep your ciem many years, the detachable option is more "durable" than the non-detachable option because of your detachable-reason number 2. The stock CA cable is thinner than the non-detachable but you can easily cut the memory wire and for the price it's a very good cable :)

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #2,857 of 4,065
I have the Music One with non-detachable cable and they are indeed very durable. The right-angle jack is good but I know it could be the problem later such as with all cables. If you're sure you want to keep your ciem many years, the detachable option is more "durable" than the non-detachable option because of your detachable-reason number 2. The stock CA cable is thinner than the non-detachable but you can easily cut the memory wire and for the price it's a very good cable :)

Thats what I thought too, but Piotr told me that the detachable IEM is more likely to die first because of the connector, and I'm inclined to take his word for it.. I've also read elsewhere about people having problems with the connector in other silicone CIEM brands.

I also already asked him about cutting it and he told me it would (quite rightly) void the cable warranty, which is something I really don't want to do. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #2,858 of 4,065
Interesting. I'd have considered getting one with detachable cable, as it is usually the cable or connection thereof that fails with me. But I suppose the detachable cables don't have a longer life because of the weakness introduced by introducing more connectors. I suppose either way you'd need to send them back, which is mildly disappointing, especially if you get one of the more expensive ones.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #2,859 of 4,065
  Interesting. I'd have considered getting one with detachable cable, as it is usually the cable or connection thereof that fails with me. But I suppose the detachable cables don't have a longer life because of the weakness introduced by introducing more connectors. I suppose either way you'd need to send them back, which is mildly disappointing, especially if you get one of the more expensive ones.

It's mildly disappointing, but Piotr is very responsive by email and has the very best of reputations, and him and myself being in Europe makes things not too difficult - one of the many reasons I chose Custom Art :)

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #2,860 of 4,065
I use detachable ones and I have no problem with silicone or acrylic ciems. I have been using silicone for a very long time and the cable connector or pins never failed me. If you ask me, detachables are way to go but it is up to you at the end. Detachable ones gives you freedom to fix the way you want at the end. Every cable will fail eventually but once it fails you can enter into an open sea of aftermarket cables from budget price to high end and see what suits you best.

Once a black stock cable of Custom Art failed me but it wasn't jack or pins, it was simply the cable had died. My friend gave me one of his aftermarket cables that he doesn't use anymore and since then I have been using it, just plug in and go.

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #2,861 of 4,065
  It's mildly disappointing, but Piotr is very responsive by email and has the very best of reputations, and him and myself being in Europe makes things not too difficult - one of the many reasons I chose Custom Art :)

And it would be one of the reasons I would choose Custom Art. My disappointment also wasn't directed at CA specifically, but more in general, because I assume that other CIEMs from other manufacturers wouldn't do any better. And I would expect / hope that a > 800 euro would last a good few years.

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #2,862 of 4,065
  I use detachable ones and I have no problem with silicone or acrylic ciems. I have been using silicone for a very long time and the cable connector or pins never failed me. If you ask me, detachables are way to go but it is up to you at the end. Detachable ones gives you freedom to fix the way you want at the end. Every cable will fail eventually but once it fails you can enter into an open sea of aftermarket cables from budget price to high end and see what suits you best.

Once a black stock cable of Custom Art failed me but it wasn't jack or pins, it was simply the cable had died. My friend gave me one of his aftermarket cables that he doesn't use anymore and since then I have been using it, just plug in and go.

You're right, and that's why a detachable cable is appealing. On the other hand, not wanting a memory wire does restrict my options in aftermarket cables a lot if I don't want to void the warranty by buying one with a memory wire and removing it. In fact, the only ones I've been able to find in the UK are the Linum Music and Linum BaX. Because of this and what Piotr has told me about the connector failing, I'm leaning toward the non-detachable. It's also cheaper and the right colour.

And it would be one of the reasons I would choose Custom Art. My disappointment also wasn't directed at CA specifically, but more in general, because I assume that other CIEMs from other manufacturers wouldn't do any better. And I would expect / hope that a > 800 euro would last a good few years.

True, but I think it's probably physical limitations with silicone. From what I've read, acrylic CIEMs tend to be more durable, especially with detachable cables, whereas silicone ones tend to be more comfortable, more forgiving if impressions are slightly and may have better isolation. I guess if longevity is particularly important you could choose an acrylic one, but I decided to put comfort and isolation first.

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #2,863 of 4,065
My H8Ps are finally here!!! YAY!!! I'll post pics and maybe some impressions tomorrow. For now, it's listening time... :)

@piotrus-g Thanks so much! Especially for giving me the option of making them in acrylic! I think you'd agree that my ear canals were kinda... difficult to work with? 

So far, all smiles... I've already had a few "Wait a minute, I never heard that before!" moments already...

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #2,865 of 4,065
  True, but I think it's probably physical limitations with silicone. From what I've read, acrylic CIEMs tend to be more durable, especially with detachable cables, whereas silicone ones tend to be more comfortable, more forgiving if impressions are slightly and may have better isolation. I guess if longevity is particularly important you could choose an acrylic one, but I decided to put comfort and isolation first.

I didn't realise that silicone would be more prone to break down than acrylic (at least for the connectors).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back