New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Jun 11, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #106 of 4,065
Quote:
It's here....
ph34r.gif

​

Tomscy, congratulations! Looking forward for your impressions while waiting for the 330 on my side! Could you post some more pictures? 

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #110 of 4,065
Quote:
  Ooo Bubbly. 

Quote:
  I guess that is the problem with silicone?

Yeah, silicone is much more prone to bubbling than acrylic; I've seen better from ACS, but even they have some bubbles in their shells, and I've seen some from them that are worse, so I think it varies. Also, it looks a lot worse because it's a 100% crop, and I basically photographed it in a way that maximizes all the flaws. This is by far the worst it'll ever look. It looks way better in person.

Quote:
  The cable looks really thick though.

Not really. What makes you think that?

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #112 of 4,065
Quote:

Yeah, silicone is much more prone to bubbling than acrylic; I've seen better from ACS, but even they have some bubbles in their shells, and I've seen some from them that are worse, so I think it varies. Also, it looks a lot worse because it's a 100% crop, and I basically photographed it in a way that maximizes all the flaws. This is by far the worst it'll ever look. It looks way better in person.

Not really. What makes you think that?

The portion near the plug seems a lot thicker than the portion coming near the earpiece. But it is probably the way it looks in the picture.

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #113 of 4,065
So I've been searching for my first set of CIEM. These seem to be a cost efficient pair that fits the majority of my wants.

My quest is to those that have actually heard this/own them. 

***Setting aside all of the benefits of a CIEM*** -- What price tag would you put on JUST their sound?

Basically I'm wondering how they compared price wise with UIEMs, but based on their sonic characteristics only. I'll factor in the rest later.
Also, do they sound like any other CIEM or UIEM that you've heard?

I'm interested in hearing this information for all three of the models. 

-------------------------------

Deal is coming to a close soon, and I would love to get any information owners could give. Thanks in advance.

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #114 of 4,065
Quote:
  The portion near the plug seems a lot thicker than the portion coming near the earpiece. But it is probably the way it looks in the picture.

Probably. I'd say the thickness is "normal" for an earphone. Compared to aftermarket cables, it's way thin. It's a good cable --- not microphonic at all and extremely flexible. However, the plug looks a little cheap. Nothing some scissors, a new plug, and some soldering can't fix... heh --- my one gripe with it is that the section above the Y-split is a bit short. People with big heads are going to hate that. Good thing I cinch my cables behind my head, so neck real estate isn't a big factor for me.

Quote:
  thanks for the pics! How is the fit?

Pretty good. Good seal, though my right side has some in/out play (happens with all my acrylic CIEMs too; it's my ear canal's anatomy, not because it needs a refit). Isolation is not as mind-blowing as I thought it was going to be, though I haven't done a comparison with my acrylic CIEMs.

I've fallen in love with the comfort of silicone, though --- it bends with my ear canals and has way less bone conduction related noise.

Silicone shells also feel more "flush" to the ear than acrylic --- No massive faceplate to contend with, I guess.

Sound-wise, early impressions are positive but I've mostly been working on the pictures and other stuff, so sound impressions are very rudimentary. Very crisp and clear, good, accurate mids --- very, very subtly mid-forward (mostly because of the treble, more on that later). Bass doesn't extend as low as multi-driver CIEMs, but has a palpable punch. Bass is still tight and clean --- not gonna please bassheads, of course, but most people will find it acceptable, and even the most hardcore Ety-heads should find it good. Good, clear imaging. Treble is clean and clear, good black space in-between. However, it is a little laid-back. There's a definite recess from 10-12 kHz; other parts are fine. It keeps in line with the single-driver sound. Don't really have more time to listen; will try out resistance adapters later on. Single drivers tend to do well with electrical underdamping for a more "DF accurate" FR.

Of all the recent earphones that I've heard, I'd say the Pro100 sounds most like the RE-400; take this comparison with a grain of salt, however, as I last heard the RE-400 over three weeks ago.

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #115 of 4,065
Thank you tomscy for your first impressions!

Yes there are some bubbles in tomscy's shell, unfortunately sometimes it's inevitable although I try to make my shells as bubble-less as possible!

Cable is standard for industry - it's really soft and flexible, not really thick. If you like other plug I could change it to any other you like on request! That way you won't void warranty by doing it yourself.

Silicone offers slightly different isolation than acrylic (different range of frequencies and different dB values)

Quote:
So I've been searching for my first set of CIEM. These seem to be a cost efficient pair that fits the majority of my wants.

My quest is to those that have actually heard this/own them. 

***Setting aside all of the benefits of a CIEM*** -- What price tag would you put on JUST their sound?

Basically I'm wondering how they compared price wise with UIEMs, but based on their sonic characteristics only. I'll factor in the rest later.
Also, do they sound like any other CIEM or UIEM that you've heard?

I'm interested in hearing this information for all three of the models. 

-------------------------------

Deal is coming to a close soon, and I would love to get any information owners could give. Thanks in advance.

Please check the first post of this thread or send me an e-mail for more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back