New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Jun 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #136 of 4,065
Quote:
   I will consider gettting one since I def. need something with supreme isolation/comfort, my full sized cans doesn't isolate enough and not actually quite portable (they sound superb though). Pre order prices are indeed sooo tempting so I might give it a shot.

I've fallen in love with the comfort of silicone. It's not that acrylics are uncomfortable because they're still very comfortable, but silicone imparts much less bone conduction-related noise when walking. The only downside is that they're soft and squishy, so I'm constantly afraid of something happening to them, even though in the back of my mind I know they're tougher than they look.

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #137 of 4,065
Quote:
I've fallen in love with the comfort of silicone. It's not that acrylics are uncomfortable because they're still very comfortable, but silicone imparts much less bone conduction-related noise when walking. The only downside is that they're soft and squishy, so I'm constantly afraid of something happening to them, even though in the back of my mind I know they're tougher than they look.

I feel the same with the SE5...also very afraid when changing cables

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #138 of 4,065
Yes, that was one of the reason why Grzegorz only made fixed cable version before. I guess he found a way to get it more robust with detachable version.

I feel the same with the SE5...also very afraid when changing cables

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #139 of 4,065
Quote:

I read a lot of nice things about silicone ciems are darn robust and almost impossible to break them so I wouldn't worry about it actually, you should feel better mate 
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #141 of 4,065
I'm very much looking forward to experiencing the soft, malleable feel of silicone CIEMs.

Having spent some time touching other silicone 'things' I can honestly say they feel great. :p

Hahaha Good point there mate!!

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #142 of 4,065
Question: I'm about to return to my home country and in a few days I'll be ready to have new impressions made for my Pro 330.  This will be my first silicone based CIEM and I've read a myriad of different things regarding open or closed mouth impressions for silicone.

Note: I  recently passed a dental supply store so I popped in and bought two sets of bite blocks, one for adults, one smaller for children (I did this because last time my audiologist had me use an uncomfortable large popsicle stick).

Do I want a full open mouth impression, a partial open mouth (smaller bite blocks) or closed mouth?

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #143 of 4,065
I've read/been told that open mouth is mainly for singers.

I don't listen to music with my mouth open, so why would I want my mold like that?

I'd like to hear some other options as well.

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #144 of 4,065
Quote:
I've read/been told that open mouth is mainly for singers.

I don't listen to music with my mouth open, so why would I want my mold like that?

I'd like to hear some other options as well.

No no no. There is one simple rule: do what the iem maker tells you, because they will build it based on this.

Open mouth normally enlarges you canals so the prints will be larger, and the ciem will have a tighter fit, and that is the common practice for most acrylic ciems. There is a chance that if you do them closed mouth, you will lose seal easily, will talking or yawning or else.

Silicone ciems are generally done closed mouth as the more dense material needs less tight fit (that is the case for Spiral Ear at least). The third type is Fitear, who asks prints with movement during the print taking, but the fit is based on different principles.

I always followed EXACTLY what the iem maker wanted and always had perfect fit.

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #145 of 4,065
That's great advice, thanks.
Well I won't be talking while I'm listening, but I see where your going with that.

I'm still on the fence about these and would love to hear any impressions before the date is up.

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #146 of 4,065
Impression before the date is up, small chance.. Piotr said that he will start making everyone's order after the date is up. But probably someone will get lucky and got his before that.
Quote:
That's great advice, thanks.
Well I won't be talking while I'm listening, but I see where your going with that.

I'm still on the fence about these and would love to hear any impressions before the date is up.

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #147 of 4,065
Quote:
Question: I'm about to return to my home country and in a few days I'll be ready to have new impressions made for my Pro 330.  This will be my first silicone based CIEM and I've read a myriad of different things regarding open or closed mouth impressions for silicone.

Note: I  recently passed a dental supply store so I popped in and bought two sets of bite blocks, one for adults, one smaller for children (I did this because last time my audiologist had me use an uncomfortable large popsicle stick).

Do I want a full open mouth impression, a partial open mouth (smaller bite blocks) or closed mouth?

I prefer slightly open mouth. So my advise is to use adult bite-block on the longer side (smaller height)

Quote:
No no no. There is one simple rule: do what the iem maker tells you, because they will build it based on this.

This is really good advise. Each manufacturer uses slightly different technics giving different results so there's no "universal method" for impressions.

There's no chance for finished Pro330 impressions by a customer before the end date. Tomscy said he will be able to chime in on Pro100 after 21st. June. I'm also sending average_joe's Music One soon, but there's small chance he'll receive it before 26th.

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #148 of 4,065
Oh and since we are on the ear impressions topic.

Please please please! Tell your audiologist to obligatory use ear foam pads when doing your impressions! It's mandatory. And if your audiologist doesn't have one or use one, just go to another place.
There are 3 main reasons for that:
1. For me: if no impressions pads are used, I can't be sure material filled in your canal completely, typically there are dents and deformations cause material flowed freely down your canal instead of stopping on the foam.
2. For you: less time wasted for redoing set and avoiding getting your ear drum damaged. If the material stuck to your tympanic membrane audiologist will damage it when pulling out your impressions.
3. For audiologist: avoiding potential million-$-lawsuit for endangering your heath, cause you could do that if any thing happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back