New - Cowon Plenue S
Feb 4, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #181 of 1,158
Almost bought it, for the price of more expensive than Zx2, with no wifi, no Bluetooth....I started to hate how it is priced for so little that it does. In this day and age, where a device can not be firmware upgraded OTA is a failure. To each of his own. I would love to see you buy the "s" and give me more feed backs, perhap it sound signature may make it worthy.
I had the P1 but went with the M for its size and I also have the D. I demoed the S but it sounded somewhat like the P1. Maybe I need to give it another try.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #182 of 1,158
  It's of my personal opinion that the problem lies with a dollar value attached to a perceived increase in sound quality... whereas in reality there is NONE to be had. Yes NONE.

Look, I would bet my 2 kids lives on blind testing some of these people who reckon they can tell the difference apart between a M2, PD, M, P1 and S. No.. I'm not being funny, I'm being deadly serious. I would love to see this actually done irl, I think the results would be startling.

And to make things interesting I bet I could mildly tweak a Cowon DSP effect here or there on a lower end device that will give the illusion to making it sound 'airy', 'spacious', more 'organic' therefore it must be the Plenue S! Um.. nop... i just left the other 3 DAPs in normal mode and tweaked the PD slightly. Do you see what I'm saying?

I will be the FIRST to admit that I too have suffered New Toy Syndrome. You have just spent $$$ on a new DAP, so it must be better right? Or yer listening to a 4 figure DAP therefore you look stupid to being all like '... meh' over it, u must be stupid and bad of hearing.

Blind testing. That's where the truth lies, funny how it is absolutely never ever ever done on head fi, anywhere. That's what should be flooding the boards, not peoples opinions on sound quality which is the most subjective thing there is. We're not talking a few $$ difference here or there, we're talking 10x the price difference of some DAPs!! It's the same with abx testing, rarely a video or evidence of a user being able to distinguish bit rates apart to a satisfactory degree...

BruceBanner please show the court where on this doll the big bad expensive DAP touched you?

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #184 of 1,158
BruceBanner please don't bet the lives of your kids on anything period
biggrin.gif
 (their mother will smack the schitt out of you unless you're the Hulk)

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #186 of 1,158
yeah but u gotta admit that docking station is pretty schweet

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #187 of 1,158
The dock thing does look imposing and luxurious. That heatsink style design feature is pretty unique.

It blends in nicely on a decorative mantelpiece or a CEO's desk alongside a Cuban cigar case or something. I hope the VU meter has some magical illumination light-up showcase feature.

It only seems to have XLR output, so I'm a bit worried that it might be too "serious" to appeal to the wealthy clientele.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #188 of 1,158
The dock thing does look imposing and luxurious. That heatsink style design feature is pretty unique.

It blends in nicely on a decorative mantelpiece or a CEO's desk alongside a Cuban cigar case or something. I hope the VU meter has some magical illumination light-up showcase feature.

It only seems to have XLR output, so I'm a bit worried that it might be too "serious" to appeal to the wealthy clientele.
Well Cuban cigars are legal now so any Joe Blow can buy it for cheap.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #189 of 1,158
i gotta say it and i had to admit there are quite differences between 500 usd range daps and the sinfully priced daps like ak380 they sound better but not 3000 usd better, maybe 200 usd better :)

as such i am selling my ak380 + amp combo

this 5-10% is not worth it in my books to justify paying again such prices for anything

the only thing i bought that i adore is the mojo and form now on i will only buy chord products that are reasonably priced they got it so dam right with the mojo

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #191 of 1,158
in stock at amp3

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Cowon.609/COWONPS-TITANIUM/Cowon_Plenue_S__PS__High_Resolution_128GB_Digital_Audio_Player_with_microSD_Expansion_and_World-Class_Burr-Brown_DAC.14814.html?amp3sid=afedtftukgc9311aurogb78du0

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #195 of 1,158
That price is very steep for a device that doesn't have any wireless connection at all. I almost bought it..now I started to hate it...why not even wifi ?

Maybe because Cowon has been lagging behind the competition for technical specs since the J3...

This Plenue S is the cherry on the cake, with ZERO technical improvement at all over the Plenue 1.
At this pricepoint, not even offering 256Gb memory or any modern connection is just a big fat slap in the face...

But hey, A&K paved the way and too many people here just went directly for the bait, the hook, the line and the fishing rod in one gulp.

Personally, I'm done with this nonsense, I'll wait until my DAP breaks down to change it, unless a manufacturer finally puts a decent R&D team together to propose a DAP with game-changing features, I mean ACTUAL features, not subjective sound quality improvement. And decent memory, not the measly 128Gb where we're supposed to store "hi-res" music. What a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back