New Cowon D2 problems
Mar 27, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #16 of 27
When you purchase a Cowon player, the insaller CD should come with a full version of JetAudio IIRC, and subsequent updates of JetAudio should come for free as well.

The video converter for JetAudio works fine for most the part, but it introduced artifacts to the Gran Turismo HD videos I have.

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #17 of 27
yeah, full jetaudio is included on the CD with the player.

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #20 of 27
i did not bother to use it as well as it was a demo and i was not interested in paying or whatever the deal was but... it was a shame that video looked rubbish on it from the other good encoders i used. i wish i had the proper jetaudio to get it looking artifact and stuttter free

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #21 of 27
The free version Jetaudio has video conversion software.

That is quite amazing that nothing worked for you. Since Sin City/Family Guy/Scrubs ripped from my DVDs looks pretty damn good on it. Pretty much zero artifacts, good, realistic colour (excluding Sin City of course) and a steady framerate. Much better than most screens that size that I have seen.

Yes, there are problems with the sound which you mention a lot and I agree. BUT there must be something seriously wrong with the source files and/or the software you used for the video to get it looking "rubbish".

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all you do is drag and drop the film on to the units movie section but you must first format it to and interesting mix of mpeg4 and mp3 sound. it must be 320 by 240. good luck.

i hear that people who use the iriver utility - don't know the name with windows say it work well. i used great other video encoders that cost a bit of money and looked great with quicktime or ipod and on the computer but on the d2 - all artifacts and stuttering (not too bad, but this is not a video player)

So can you rip your dvd collection onto an mp3 player in the same way as with cd's ? except the files are bigger ? does anyone watch movies on a D2 or similar device ?

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So can you rip your dvd collection onto an mp3 player in the same way as with cd's ? except the files are bigger ? does anyone watch movies on a D2 or similar device ?

Pretty much but you'd struggle to fit any sort of collection on a flash mp3 player. Even at 320x240, Sin City takes up 545mb in total (although to be honest, it is done at high quality). And usually it's a bit more mucking around to get a DVD into a format suitable too as well as taking a while to actually rip/convert it depending on the software and your computer.

So if you want to take time over it - yes. I'm sure there are quicker ways than the way I do things though.

I've watched most of Sin City and most of Monty Python's Meaning of Life on the D2 but I'd only recommend it for shorter shows - Family Guy and the like since it can strain the eyes over longer periods. It's perfect for those boring break times though!

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostPhil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much but you'd struggle to fit any sort of collection on a flash mp3 player. Even at 320x240, Sin City takes up 545mb in total (although to be honest, it is done at high quality). And usually it's a bit more mucking around to get a DVD into a format suitable too as well as taking a while to actually rip/convert it depending on the software and your computer.

So if you want to take time over it - yes. I'm sure there are quicker ways than the way I do things though.

I've watched most of Sin City and most of Monty Python's Meaning of Life on the D2 but I'd only recommend it for shorter shows - Family Guy and the like since it can strain the eyes over longer periods. It's perfect for those boring break times though!

I didn't buy the D2 to watch films really but I am just dying to try it out. I don't know how to get the dvd onto my computer as its copy protected. Surely you can rip your dvd's the same way as cd's. !
I was thinking of having an sd card just for films and drag and drop some now and then...

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #25 of 27
Try iLove. I haven't used it to rip DVD's but it looks like it will do the job.

I didn't realise it had been improved to include DVD ripping as previously I've had to use DVD decrypter.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you use windows or linux or osx or which? you could try out handbrake i think is available for windows - rips directly to mp4 from the dvd - i use it in osx

I use windows XP, I will look at 'handbrake' to see if it works.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back