New Cosmic Owner
Jun 10, 2002 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DeanA

100+ Head-Fier
The Cosmic is my third headphone amp, preceded by the Total Airhead and Maxed Out Home, both which I still own. I remember when I first got the MOH and test drove it with the HD600 headphones. I guess “blown away” would be an appropriate phrase. The bass really improved while the overall sound seemed to be clearer. But what I really noticed was the expanded soundstage. It was as if the musicians went from being bunched together on the stage to spreading out along the stage. It was a headphone listening pleasure I had never experienced before, nor could I get enough. It wasn’t long before I wanted to be able to experience the MOH/HD600 sound when I wasn’t tethered to the MOH. The Cosmic seemed to be the amp that was capable of granting my wish.

A few quick Cosmic observations. It looks like a mini-MOH, only about half the size. Same solid, well-constructed case, sturdy toggle switches for Filter, Gain and Process and a very nice volume control. I didn’t notice much of a difference running from the standard power supply or from the batteries. There is a single headphone connection (the MOH has two). While there is no latch on the connection, it does require a good push and pull to insert and remove a headphone plug. Maybe that means nothing, but it sure felt solid.

Running both amps from my home system and using the HD600 headphones, I didn’t feel the Cosmic’s results matched the MOH standard. While I think the clarity is pretty even, the bass is not quite as pronounced and the soundstage is somewhat reduced. But the difference between the two is fairly small. In fact, if I didn’t already have the MOH, I believe I would have been just as impressed with the Cosmic/HD600 combination as I was when I first heard the MOH/HD600 setup. Okay, I’ll be the first to admit I’m not a super Hi-Fi person or even an audiophile type. But I do listen to music a lot and I know what I like. And I enjoy the Cosmic and HD600 combination with a portable source as much as I enjoy the MOH and HD600 with my home system. As for the myth about portable sources not being worthy for the Cosmic. Well, call me tin ears, but I tried two different PCDP (a Sony and a Panasonic) and the Nomad Jukebox and none of the sources embarrassed the Cosmic with the HD600, SR325 or AGK501 headphones. These portable sources may not really push the Cosmic, but the Cosmic did bring the best out of the sources.

Is the Cosmic “over the top” for a portable system? You bet it is. Let’s face it, my TAH combined with the ET4P, SR325 or even KSC35 headphones and the same portable sources make a very nice sounding portable system that is a whole lot cheaper. But I wanted to take my portable listening pleasure to the next level. I wanted to be able to enjoy my music with the HD600 or AGK501 headphones while walking my dog or sitting on the patio watching the deer eat the leaves off the fruit trees. I look at it as buying a new car and paying extra for the V8 over the standard V6. It is more than you need until you need it. For my needs the Cosmic delivers.

Anyone getting the Cosmic should seriously consider the Travelers Bag. It is not nearly as compact and portable as the TAH and Airbag combination, which is why my TAH/Airbag/ET4P will continue to be my traveling package. But the bag is perfectly engineered for the Cosmic and makes a very nice, easy to use portable system. Everything you need for portability fits in the bag.

Jun 11, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 3
Dean:

Thanks for the review. However, since this isn't really a question for HeadRoom, would you mind if I moved this to the main forums where a review is better suited?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back