NEW CORDA HEADFIVE: A New Amp to Celebrate Head-Fi's Fifth Anniversary!
Mar 28, 2006 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 805

Jan Meier

King Corda
Member of the Trade: Meier Audio
Dear headfellows,

This year (in June), Head-Fi exists 5 years. Years in which your favourite website has grown from a site for a small group of fanatics to one of the most popular audio sites in the world. I think this is worth celebrating!

For the occasion a limited series of 500 amplifiers is being produced exclusively for Head-Fi members. I call it the CORDA HEADFIVE. Intention of the HEADFIVE-project is to offer an amplifier that is affordable for people who normally are not able to buy a truly decent amp.

The HEADFIVE is a sonically improved version of the (discontinued) HA-1 MkII. It has a built-in regulated power-supply with toroidal transformer and Nichicon capacitors, all bypassed with film-capacitors. It uses four LM6171 opamps and two BUF634 output buffers to provide adequate output currents. Volume is controlled by an ALPS potentiometer. All capacitors in the signal path are polypropylen or polystyrol (!). Of course our proprietary crossfeed filter (switchable) is not missing.

I feel the sales-price of $ 250,- (or € 200,-) leaves little to complain, especially considering the qualities of this amp and the fact that this prices includes world-wide shipping.

Moreover, for each amp that is sold 10% of the sales price will be donated to Head-Fi! Therefore do not hesitate to order one of these amps and make that all amps will be sold within the next few months. It is easy to calculate what this would mean to your favourite website!

This is a Head-Fi exclusive sales-action. The amp will not be sold through my dealers and will not be shown on my own website.

If you like to join this action please send a mail with your full name, address (and telephone number) to meier-audio@t-online.de. I will then make you a reservation and send you payment instructions. Amps will be shipped in order of paying as soon as possible after they have been finished. However, some patience is needed, since amps are expected to be ready by the beginning of July (and there's no guarantee that this deadline will be really met)!

Cheers

Jan Meier

Update November 18th:

472 amps have been sold.
28 amps have been made a reservation for.
0 amps are still available

By experience not all reservations will result in a transaction. People interested will be placed on a waiting list.

641c.jpg

646c.jpg

Measures: 10,5 x 18 x 6 cm

Weight: 0.7 kg

Power supply: 110/115 or 220/230 Volts switchable

Power uptake: 3 Watts

Maximal amplification (1 kHz): 10 dB

Maximum output: 12 Volts

Input impedance: 12 kOhm

Output impedance: < 1 Ohm

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 805
sounds great: i would like maybe more info on its sound when compared to the HAI MKII? nevertheless, i'm pretty sure to get one...
edit: Yea, i always wanted a loop out/maybe two inputs on my HAI MKII..ho well..if it sounds great then that's all that matters
Thanks Dr. Meier
Also: does it come with a power cord?

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 805
Looks real nice Jan! I just wish it had a loop-out (you know you can never satisfy us head-fiers:wink: It's great that $25 goes to Head-fi. Thanks for another great product offering.
-Steve

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 805
Dr Meyer, When will we be albe to start ordering? Can we order now but only pay when they start shipping?Could elaborate a bit more on this issue please?

In advance, thank you for this wonderful offer and a great way to celebrate head-fi's 5th birthday.

Manuel

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Looks great, Jan! The switch on the left is for, high or low impedance output, correct?

It must be on/off switch.

Very nice Jan! This is almost a must buy for that price. Even an upgrade from HA-1 MkII with that price.

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 805
Hello guys,

" I just wish it had a loop-out "

There simply wasn't enough space for a second pair of RCA-sockets.

You can use a pair of RCA-splitters (€5,-!)

"The switch on the left is for, high or low impedance output, correct?"

No, the amp has a low output impedance socket only.

Frontplate from left to right: ON/OFF + power LED, headphone output, crossfeed on/off, volume.

Backplate: RCA inputs, powerinlet + fuse-holder, 110/220V voltage selector.

" When will we be albe to start ordering? Can we order now but only pay when they start shipping?Could elaborate a bit more on this issue please?"

Reservations/orders can be placed now.

Amps will be shipped in order of paying as soon as they have been finished. Therefore, the sooner you pay, the faster you will have the amp.

Note: The amps shown on the picture are prototypes. The final products will be very similar looking but some small changes are planned to make the amps slightly more elegant. Especially the volume dial will be placed recessed into the frontplate so it will be less dominant.

Cheers

Jan

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 805
Hey Jan,

Thanks for the answers. You said this amp doesn't have a gain switch, so would it be able to drive both high impendance headphones (HD580) and IEM's? And this is a home amp right? Thanks for clearing that up.

Kevin

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin1592
Hey Jan,

Thanks for the answers. You said this amp doesn't have a gain switch, so would it be able to drive both high impendance headphones (HD580) and IEM's? And this is a home amp right? Thanks for clearing that up.

Kevin

I wouldn't see why not, the HAI MKII drives the 650 very well, and i've tested it out on other hih impedance cans like the K701 and DT770 at the meet: the older version did very well.
By the looks of it, it's a little narrower and taller than the HAI, right?
Thanks Jan

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 805
Just out of curiosity, is the 10% donation considered a Head-Fi contribution from the purchaser (like the HF-1 sale)? If so, am I correct in assuming that I should've put my user name in the order e-mail?

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #14 of 805
So how exactly do you plug the amp into your setup? Does it go Source->Receiver->Amp->Phones?
In that case, you need a 1/4"(assuming the phone out on your receiver is 1/4") to RCA cable, right? Then plug your phones directly into the 1/4" on the amp?(or is it 1/8"?)

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashgromnies
So how exactly do you plug the amp into your setup? Does it go Source->Receiver->Amp->Phones?
In that case, you need a 1/4"(assuming the phone out on your receiver is 1/4") to RCA cable, right? Then plug your phones directly into the 1/4" on the amp?(or is it 1/8"?)

Nope. Your plug the Headfive amp into your receiver using the tape out jacks to the RCA jacks on the Headfive. You don't want to do it the way you described because then you are going through the receiver's built-in headamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back